AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Whatever the ultimate cause - AMD is still regarded as no. 2 and they cannot sell products with identical performance for the same $ as NV. At some point they need to have a great product and be confident enough to sell it at NV prices (excluding Titan, that was madness). If they always sell their stuff so cheap, they will never regain the premium brand image they once had.

And still it is sold. As are Porsches, Mercedes, Apple etc

They produce and sell as many as their forecast demand calculations and estimations say. Everything else is marketing lie about how much their shit is wanted by those who can afford it. Thing is that people are less and less willing to throw insane amounts for that shit which has no such value

You can build a brand on value and always be perceived as the second and cheap option. This is what AMD currently is

Because of people like you. For me AMD products have always been better and I will prefer them in million times.

Or you can sell excellent products at higher prices. ATI sold the X800XT - X1900XT(X) for $500-600. Their market position and market share was excellent, their brand strong. And then their brand image took a deep plunge due to the price dumping and is only now slowly recovering.

Here Alexko told you what the truth is.

Whatever the ultimate cause - AMD is still regarded as no. 2 and they cannot sell products with identical performance for the same $ as NV. At some point they need to have a great product and be confident enough to sell it at NV prices (excluding Titan, that was madness). If they always sell their stuff so cheap, they will never regain the premium brand image they once had.

I don't like your writings because you are not helping anyone, even yourself by supporting the idea for awefully priced graphics. It hurts even your wallet, if you haven't realised it yet

Why here and not in the general AMD thread?

And still it is sold. As are Porsches, Mercedes, Apple etc.
Apple is not a luxury brand, their stuff is affordable even by regular people. Not everyone would be willing to pay a thousand dollars for a video card, in fact the vast majority would think you're an idiot for doing so (and they'd be right).

The market for such a card is tiny-tiny tiny. Of course SOME will buy something like that, but "some" in this case is a fraction of a percent of the entire market, basically barely registering. I can't see how such a tiny niche product could possibly build much positive brand image, if any at all in fact.

Their market position and market share was excellent, their brand strong. And then their brand image took a deep plunge due to the price dumping and is only now slowly recovering.
Proof that the alledged brand image plunged because of alledged price dumping, please.

You don't build positive brand image just from being expensive. The Oqo called to tell you that nobody in the history of everything ever did.

Apple is not a luxury brand, their stuff is affordable even by regular people. Not everyone would be willing to pay a thousand dollars for a video card, in fact the vast majority would think you're an idiot for doing so (and they'd be right).
I think people are idiots for spending 2-3x the price for Apple products.
I wouldn't call Apple a luxury brand but just because they cater a few products at "affordable" prices doesn't mean the opposite either.

Proof that the alledged brand image plunged because of alledged price dumping, please.
Dave said something about it awhile ago when we were speculating about Cayman or Tahiti pricing.
Edit- Found a bit of it, I thought there was more though...
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59176&page=129

Last edited by a moderator:

The market for such a card is tiny-tiny tiny. Of course SOME will buy something like that, but "some" in this case is a fraction of a percent of the entire market, basically barely registering. I can't see how such a tiny niche product could possibly build much positive brand image, if any at all in fact.

Where did I say anything about luxury? I didn't mean the price in absolute terms but rather that you have to pay a premium for comparable performance. And the premium extends almost across all of Nvidia's product range, not just Titan.
And I never said, high prices build a brand image, please don't put words into my mouth. But it's a part of it. Your brand image "justifies" high prices and there are many people who think "if it's expensive, it must be good". Nvidia's market share is 65% in the desktop space and about 70% in the mobile space. Despite AMD often providing better value. That is the brand image and marketing at work.

You don't build positive brand image just from being expensive. The Oqo called to tell you that nobody in the history of everything ever did.

Why do you say alleged? AMD/ATI charged $500-600 for their top cards when they could. But during the last 7 years they never again consistently reached that price range despite often being a close second to Nvidia in performance, sometimes even beating them (7970 GHz, 5870 before 480 came out). 2012/2013 have seen massive price cuts from AMD including extensive gaming bundles. Effectively, their cards sold for quite a bit less than Nvidias even while being faster and AMD having the fastest card (until Titan). The effect? Almost non-existent. Nvidia outsold AMD in the highend by 2:1 according to Steam.

They need to get their drivers ready on launch day, they need good coolers, good extra features, good developer relations and of course good performance. AND in addition to that, they need to price their products with confidence, mirroring all these things. Luckily, AMD is rapidly catching up on all these fronts. Price is a part of the equation. Not the whole, but a part. It says that the manufacturer believes the product is worth it. If that is actually true in the end or not, doesn't matter. What matters is that people believe it. And people often do as proven by my examples.

there are many people who think "if it's expensive, it must be good"

I am very sorry for those people. Probably they don't know that the main thing which drives those corporations (which are so eager otherwise to charge as much as they want) is cost reduction. So, if for them money savings is the most important, why should people be tolerant with price premiums? Because they are silly...

2rfc8r6.jpg

4gg2ef.jpg

ifvseh.jpg

Yeah, yeah. Chiphell I know but he is hinting at something.

Attachments

• hawaii package1.JPG
    hawaii package1.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 111
Does the BF4 cover look convincing to you? Looks like a normal jewel case with a printed (on a home printer) cover inside...I don't know...

The ruler goes from 20-30... could it be a hint on percentage increase?
Or that he covers up the ruler and it starts at 20, as in 20nm.
I dunno but why have the ruler?

Edit- This silly season is really taking a toll on me this year.

Re-Edit: Any able to decipher this?

Attachments

• chiphell info.JPG
    chiphell info.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 87
Do I get paid for semantic translation? :LOL:

A complete core- small in size (no explanation needed), to compete with which product (SKU)?

If you can pay me my future salary I'd tell you that this isn't 6+1

If you can pay me my future year-end bonus I'd tell you that this doesn't compete with the 780

Reverse the rhetorical challenges, and Hawaii has a "6+1" (???) config that competes with the 780, but perhaps the diesize is smaller than expected?

Do I get paid for semantic translation? :LOL:

A complete core- small in size (no explanation needed), to compete with which product (SKU)?

If you can pay me my future salary I'd tell you that this isn't 6+1

If you can pay me my future year-end bonus I'd tell you that this doesn't compete with the 780

Reverse the rhetorical challenges, and Hawaii has a "6+1" (???) config that competes with the 780, but perhaps the diesize is smaller than expected?

Interesting... Thanks!

Only think I could think of for 6+1 would be phases.

Yup, that is exactly right ;)

Participants of the forum Chiphell are active guerrilla activities against the secrecy of information producers of computer "hardware". This week, for example, Chiphell was the source of the first (though not confirmed) data about the speed of the future flagship graphics solutions AMD, known by the codename of Hawaii. Interestingly, the person who published the information, also posted a few photos as having allegedly directly related to the video card on the basis of Hawaii.

First, it is half-open box that is placed something with the AMD logo, and the image of a tidal wave, which must evaluate the avid surfers. Is the picture is made ​​( the original ) near the Hawaiian Islands - is unknown, but the producers like to leave clues, and surfing, as we know, it was coined by Hawaiians.

A couple other images give us an opportunity to consider some fragments of circuit board graphics card. It is reported that the adapter receives power system with the scheme "6 +1" phase, in general, useful information load photos do not carry.

There is also a view that only Hawaii will be based on the architecture of GCN 1.1 (as previously presented solution Bonaire), all the other new items will keep AMD architecture predecessors in the face of Radeon HD 7xxx.

via google translate from http://www.overclockers.ru/hardnews...y_videokarty_na_osnove_processora_Hawaii.html

Actually, I checked the original thread where the Taiwanese leaker was in again and he's revealed that it's not a 780 competitor. So we should discount the 6+1 phase setup if any of this hold true.

But enough with he said, she said. We have enough of that in the console section already... *coughCEEEERNYYYYcough*

Single 6-pin pci-e ("6+1 adapter receives power")? That would make is a sub-150W part obviously, hence not a 780 competitor. Or maybe it is....

My best guess is this is bullshit, however.

Impossible, in all cases it will be. Otherwise, AMD is doomed.

Ok, seriously, on the serious note, if it doesn't compete with GTX 780, then what does it compete with? With GTX 690? :rolleyes: :LOL:

"Not a 780 competitor" could simply mean it competes with Titan; which, by the way, sounds more reasonable for a brand new generation.

Could even be Maui.. well known for surf spots and beach... Too much tease with 3 photos, not much information.

Back