KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

I've always found it interesting how so many people are completely unaware of what a dedicated server actually does but will see it as a be all end all solution to high latency and odd packet losses here and there, even if it is something caused from their side. As if those problems existed because the game used P2P, well Halo games in my opinion have unmatched online networking as far as console FPS go and it has been P2P all along.

30min 20sec, dev talking about 60fps problem:

"When 24 players throw grande and they explode in front of you, then it wont be 60fps"

I think this is perfectly acceptable.

at 16:45 they show off all the 10 maps this ships with . I guess that will also translate to most of the locations of SP.

Considering how far along this must have been when Sony went with the decision to double the RAM in the PS4, GG seems to have discovered lots of ways to utilise the extra 4Gb but the one aspect I thought would be on the definite enhancement list, that being textures, doesn't seem to have happened.

Is this just down to time? I would have thought that all textures would be rendered at a much higher res than being used in the game and swapping them out wouldn't be that major a task.

Depends on how much bandwidth/performance that takes. It may require rebalancing of system resources. Also, I understand the game is 50GB as it is.

The left and right audio channels are reversed in the video..

I love Japanese language and the way they emphasize words :) I'm too old to learn a new language but if Japanese would be at the top of my list if I had to learn one.
Japanese sounds fun to me too. I speak 4 European languages and learning a new one is out of the question for now. I also like Russian, Czech, Polish and Dutch -but my skills at those aren't what they should be & I don't think I will never fully learn them, nor one at least-.

In fact it goes without saying that most people can always improve at their own language, not to mention learning a new one from scratch. The slight accent at the end of each word or sentence has similarities to my language, but it's just that, anything else.

Additionally, are they going to use deferred rendering for this new KZ game? It was a much-touted feature in KZ2 and 3, and I wonder if Guerrilla are still utilising that approach.

You like Dutch? Lol. ;) I wouldn't bother, the language doesn't really add much to your insight of the world. The best advantage would be to be able to read the NRC Handelsblad (one of the better newspapers in Europe I think), but even then I think there's plenty of good alternatives in other languages. And everyone here speaks other languages anyway.

You're never too old to learn, they say, but if I would learn another language, it would likely be Chinese I think.

Additionally, are they going to use deferred rendering for this new KZ game? It was a much-touted feature in KZ2 and 3, and I wonder if Guerrilla are still utilising that approach.
Yes, it was confirmed in the tech slides they released a while back. So this could be the first fully deferred renderer with HDR, I don't know how similar it is to the tiled based deferred renderer from Frost Bite 3 tho.

You like Dutch? Lol. ;) I wouldn't bother, the language doesn't really add much to your insight of the world. The best advantage would be to be able to read the NRC Handelsblad (one of the better newspapers in Europe I think), but even then I think there's plenty of good alternatives in other languages. And everyone here speaks other languages anyway.

You're never too old to learn, they say, but if I would learn another language, it would likely be Chinese I think.
Yes, I like Dutch and Dutch people, don't ask me why -well, I kinda know why, but it would be a long story-. I can interpret some expressions but all I know is "Ja" and "Ne" and a few other spare words. I am in my 30s so I still have plenty of time to learn a new language. I could purposefully start learning a new one but there are just so many things I want to do in life that it seems time is never enough. Lots of challenges ahead... and dreams to fulfil.

Yes, it was confirmed in the tech slides they released a while back. So this could be the first fully deferred renderer with HDR, I don't know how similar it is to the tiled based deferred renderer from Frost Bite 3 tho.
I had never heard of that. I remember that some people were very vocal about KZ2 and 3 not featuring HDR, which was very noticeable in some scenes -I didn't understand what the fuss was all about, as I thought KZ2 looked a bit blurry for some reason and HDR wasn't present, especially when the camera panned at high speed and then stopped, the sky always looked the same, instead of adjusting the light like the human iris-.

I thought that BF and some others like Far Cry 3 were deferred rendering engines and had HDR too.

OT --When the Xbox 360 was launched most PC graphics cards couldn't run games featuring AA and HDR at the same time and the Xbox 360 could -as shown in PGR3, a launch title-.

at 16:45 they show off all the 10 maps this ships with . I guess that will also translate to most of the locations of SP.

The most interesting thing for me is their new approach.

According to the speaker, GG is going to throw the game out there, listen to our feedback, and then evolve the game. Will be a good opportunity for us to see Cerny's "short time-to-triangle" claim.

GG kinda did that for KZ2 -> KZ3. But the transition was essentially a shock to existing fans.

Keeping fingers crossed. :)

The most interesting thing for me is their new approach.

According to the speaker, GG is going to throw the game out there, listen to our feedback, and then evolve the game. Will be a good opportunity for us to see Cerny's "short time-to-triangle" claim.

GG kinda did that for KZ2 -> KZ3. But the transition was essentially a shock to existing fans.

Keeping fingers crossed. :)

I am not really sure about that approach, to behonest. If the game isn't fun at the beginning, people will just move on to the next title, before you get a chance to address complaints or incorporate suggestions. But, yes, their philiosophy that later maps will be based on player suggestions, depending on what kindof maps people like more, that is a good one. So, if people pla more of CQC maps, they will make more of those, or if people play more of vertical maps, they will make more of those.
Core mechanics should be tight at launch or bust, IMO.

BTW, here's average joe's impressions of some X1 and PS4 games at eurogamer Expo:
http://www.theladbible.com/articles/best-xbox-one-ps4-games-we-played-eurogamer

KZSF has some good impressions:
Killzone: Shadowfall

Had to wait a long long time to play this. It was worth it. Not only did we get to stare at the screen at all the beautiful violent visuals but when we finally had a go we did not want to stop. It just seemed like such a satisfying shooter. Was a bit complicated at what exactly was going on but we managed to survive by just destroying everthing that looked like a threat. This will be a very popular launch day title.

I am not really sure about that approach, to behonest. If the game isn't fun at the beginning, people will just move on to the next title, before you get a chance to address complaints or incorporate suggestions. But, yes, their philiosophy that later maps will be based on player suggestions, depending on what kindof maps people like more, that is a good one. So, if people pla more of CQC maps, they will make more of those, or if people play more of vertical maps, they will make more of those.
Core mechanics should be tight at launch or bust, IMO.

BTW, here's average joe's impressions of some X1 and PS4 games at eurogamer Expo:
http://www.theladbible.com/articles/best-xbox-one-ps4-games-we-played-eurogamer

KZSF has some good impressions:

The initial visual and gameplay have to be good enough first. :)

RFOM and MAG were tuned and retuned multiple times. But those are combat stats. Something more major may be interesting (or disaestrous !).

What's the target FPS for the game? I haven't read wether it's 30 or 60, but considering what I've seen of the graphics I wouldn't be surprised if it's 30. It's looking absolutely amazing IMO.

New build of the game with the fancy forest fog, godrays, no pop-up, slight screen& object blur :) ...

...but with nasty addition of tearing. Hopefully they will fix it. If all is going well, they will soon have gold version of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back