Playstation Mobile

remember reading that they do have plan for trophies coming eventually.
That's been Sony's bane this generation. they talk about all sorts of ideas, but take forever to deliver an experience that can attract customers, and in the process turn a lot of people away with their half-baked efforts and lack of focus. Releasing trophy support for PSM when it's a year old and 6 months after everyone's forgotten about it will be too late. Why isn't such support in place from day one? Why can't they connect to PSN already through existing protocols?

Problem with Sony is that they are too afraid to take radical step forward. Apple's business model is far better than just creating something within android ecosystem IMO.

That's been Sony's bane this generation. they talk about all sorts of ideas, but take forever to deliver an experience that can attract customers, and in the process turn a lot of people away with their half-baked efforts and lack of focus. Releasing trophy support for PSM when it's a year old and 6 months after everyone's forgotten about it will be too late. Why isn't such support in place from day one? Why can't they connect to PSN already through existing protocols?

exactly, which frustrate me the most.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/75307/trophy-support-coming-to-playstation-mobile

they really need a reason for "why PSM" for developers and costumers when there are so many options out there in Japan alone, learn something from Valve and steam when it comes to customers support and store front.

Problem with Sony is that they are too afraid to take radical step forward. Apple's business model is far better than just creating something within android ecosystem IMO.

Business model is fine. They just need more, and more ambitious, software teams, and not be afraid to recognise and copy the best ideas quickly.

ya, like I say, they need to show devs and customers good reasons why PSM. If it got full PSN integration I can see myself much more interested in it than any other platforms already. Any multi platform release on android, ios, psm, even steam, I would automatically get it on PSM because of the friend list , trophies portability etc.

added: remember some time ago, Kaz Hirai did say that Sony as a whole need focus and quick decision making. Which is why they buy EMI and gaikai quickly recently. Though Kaz is doing the more important things than games now in the company, hopefully his words gets past down to the game division quickly so they actually mean something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want Sony to release Vita phone.
It doesnt even need that, it just needs txt'ing ability
I predicted the vita was not going to do well if it didnt have the ability to send txt's (voice calling is not important)

I'd only build something for this if Sony contacted me personally. Otherwise it seems to be just another "lets poop out a .NET 3 evironment and make them code around it until we shelve it from something better in 2 years". FTS. Its the same thing that happened back in the day when all the companies where making stupid Eclipse plugins as IDEs for devs to work on while they collect the money off the "ecosystem".

I'd say the biggest problem with The Vita is it's price, along with it's proprietary hardware and overall user experience.

I know the PSP the was pirated back and forth, but it went that far because Sony never supported the system the way it should've done from day one. Sony was late as hell when establishing PSN on the device, and there was little focus on integrating the PSP into the service. The comics reader was a good example of that, it was cool little service but a "too little, too late" type of deal when it all was said and done. People who hacked the PSP managed to get more out of the device well before Sony did with their firmware updates. The hacking community brought youtube to the PSP, downloadable/digital/free/backed-up games, an app store approach before the iPhone, etc. I don't say this as someone who hacked his PSP, but I say this as someone who saw what they were doing and wondered why Sony couldn't do similar things for it.

I'd say Sony targeting a more tech-savvy crowd for the PSP and Vita shows a flaw in choosing it's demographic in the first place, focusing on a crowd of people who want the latest and greatest is a fleeting investment if all that crowd wants is the newest smartphones/tablets/gadgets on the market. It's roughly the same market who actively follows any exploits, cracks, or other circumvention techniques.

Sony only started putting back the focus on the PSP well after it was hacked, and couldn't build up a legal user-base because of a lack of incentives over the illegal alternatives. The truth is the Vita can beat out piracy if...

1. Sony can find creative ways to leverage PSN and it's services. Cross Play, Cross Buy, and PS Plus are great examples (provided third-parties buy into these things).

2. More gaming content showing up on the Vita. It's an obvious one and PSM helps bring wide variety of content if enough devs hops on-board. And yes Sony needs to consistently update PSM for devs to help make it successful.

3. Less focus on the anti-piracy stuff (the content manager, no account switching), more focus on improving the overall experience. Continue to create an experience worth buying into, and keep trying to attract a wider audience who want the Vita in the first place. The anti-piracy measures shouldn't need to get in the way, and the barrier to entry doesn't have to be so high with the Vita and the expensive Vita-only memory cards.

The iOS devices have been jailbreaked like crazy, but the tech-savvy are the only ones who care. The majority of normal users will continue to be invested into the iTunes ecosystem, not really know much about jailbreaking, and wouldn't risk hacking their device for the fear of losing their iTunes account they've sunk money into. If Sony wants to see success, they've got to have that kind business-sense in mind. The success of the Xbox 360 and Apple devices proves that in spades.

Last edited by a moderator:
The iOS devices have been jailbreaked like crazy, but the tech-savvy are the only ones who care. The majority of normal users will continue to be invested into the iTunes ecosystem, not really know much about jailbreaking, and wouldn't risk hacking their device for the fear of losing their iTunes account they've sunk money into. If Sony wants to see success, they've got to have that kind business-sense in mind. The success of the Xbox 360 and Apple devices proves that in spades.

I agree with the rest of your stuff, but the thing is that Apple has nothing to lose with iPhone/iPad CFWs/jailbreaks. The whole business model of the PSP/VITA/PS3 is to SELL games.

I agree with the rest of your stuff, but the thing is that Apple has nothing to lose with iPhone/iPad CFWs/jailbreaks. The whole business model of the PSP/VITA/PS3 is to SELL games.

The operating costs of the App Store (management staff, designers, developers, bandwidth and storage) have to be earned back though. It actually took quite a while for even that to happen (though now I understand they make quite a buck there too). If everything would be pirated, then they'd lose a lot of money on it. Obviously though, a lot of users don't bother with piracy on the platform nearly as much as on Android.

They'd lose potential profits, but Apple makes the vast majority of their profit from the huge margins on hardware. If they never made a dime on apps they would still be enormously successful.

They'd lose potential profits, but Apple makes the vast majority of their profit from the huge margins on hardware. If they never made a dime on apps they would still be enormously successful.

Yes, but no need to have that eaten into by losses on the operating costs of the App Store. These are not small!

If you own the platform and the app store that you use to sell products on your own device I think having operating costs is a part of the deal - otherwise why would you make a app store in the first place? why not just let somebody else run the servers? Clearly if you are burning tons of money on servers then that should mean people are using your hardware. You should not need to burden developers.

From the apple side; http://nottheinternet.com/blog/depressing-thoughts-about-the-app-store/

I think this is partly just Sony positioning the place of PSM in the whole context of their publication channels:

- retail release (also always day 1 digital)
- digital native release
- digital PSM release

Right now they'll be telling indy developers that they're work will be suitable for PSM if considered a 'risky' release where you don't want to invest too much dev wise but still want to benefit from some Sony marketing.

They will still also occasionally pick an Indy developer for their Indy Pub fund I imagine, where they'll support them with additional marketing and more importantly, developer resources.

I guess there'll be cases of a Steam title or somesuch that's too risque for iOS or Play but which could be ported to PSM. Good luck to Sony if they hope to grow their PSM business to a mainstream moneymaker on artistic merit though. How many art-house cinema's are booming cash-cows thanks to their artistic integrity? ;)

Back