News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back when the "HD war" was going on I was a regular on a HT forum from where one of the users eventually set up that showtimeforfree site, Darkfalz was there too & from what I remember he was a total ms/hddvd fanboy who never managed to provide even a hint of any real substance to his "I-work-for-ms" claims.
You referring to AVSForum? I knew all the Microsoft employees posting there, and I'm pretty sure there was no one named Darkfalz, at least no one even remotely involved with HD DVD.

Wake me when we get rumors from a source willing to to stand by them...

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to spread rumors, I was just bored and someone directed me to the forum, so I figure I'd post it for fun.

Back when the "HD war" was going on I was a regular on a HT forum from where one of the users eventually set up that showtimeforfree site, Darkfalz was there too & from what I remember he was a total ms/hddvd fanboy who never managed to provide even a hint of any real substance to his "I-work-for-ms" claims.

Yeah, I have major doubts and made that known. I wonder if the HT forum you're referring to is the same one I go to. HD Digest is where someone PMed me the link to the forum and that person also posted the same thing I posted about the controller (he's the one I got it from originally).

Here's the thread, I thought I posted the link earlier:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/game-room/126791-next-gen-consoles-quantum-leap-remedy-3.html

There are many way to play that games :) I'll try based on an "off the radar possibility", a NV only system.

2013 granted

5 cores (cortex A9) as in tegra 3+ (and an IGP) with 2GB of low power DDR2 or DDR3

8 cores (cortex A9)

4GB of high bandwidth RAM

I was just reacting in another thread about a Nvidia based system (not because of odds because of boredom) but it could matched those numbers and the philosophy described in early paper about Durango pretty well.

The tegra 3+ (or more recent) runs the OS, apps, and kinect it's connected to its own 2 GB of RAM.

Then we have a second SOC that include a mid range Nv GPU and 8 cortex A9.
This SOC is connected to 4GB fast RAM (either DDR4 or GDDR5).
I chose A9 versus A15 or something custom NV may or may not have because they are really tiny and don't consume much.

If I look at AMD offering (and up coming offering) I would be surprised to see SMT making it in a CPU any time soon. There is no known implementation of SMT on RAM (for now at least).
So to have 8 cores you indeed need tiny cores. More than that you need really low power cores.
Actually I'm not sure even up coming Jaguar cores would be low power enough if you plan to have 8 of them at decent clock speed.
Nvidia said that they are planing for GPUs integrating CPU cores (in Maxwell or another project?) It could make sense. Anyway they know how to put a SOC together.

Overall it would not be that much silicon and power. Tegra 3 is tiny ~80sq.mm @40nm and cheap. THey could use ore recent iteration of tegra though I don't expect them to be big/costlier.

Something like half the Nvidia actual high end GPU + 8 A9 and there L2 would be definitely sane (in size and power consumption) using 28nm lithography.

Anyway off the radar though lol.

You left out the 6.

You referring to AVSForum? I knew all the Microsoft employees posting there, and I'm pretty sure there was no one named Darkfalz, at least no one even remotely involved with HD DVD.

Nah, HighDefDigest.com like kagemaru mentions.

Actually in KMs link there someone at HDD mentions Darkfalz is/was a tester at MS, so obviously he must be privy to all the nextbox specs ... lmao!

Nah, HighDefDigest.com like kagemaru mentions.

Actually in KMs link there someone at HDD mentions Darkfalz is/was a tester at MS, so obviously he must be privy to all the nextbox specs ... lmao!

I was told he's more than a tester, but who knows what that's supposed to mean.

Cortex-A9 doesn't actually support more than quad-core for coherency.. That's why nVidia's companion core switches on of the cores around.

So fortunately I think we'll be spared such an awful design decision ;p
Thanks for the infos ;)

Even if doable clearly I would favor 4 A15 to 8 A9 but I was trying to match the rumors.
Actually a tegra and a bigger SOc including a15 would still make 8cores. That would definitely be better than what I proposed (which was not doable).

I don't believe Nvidia got the contract anyway.

What if MS, worried that "reserving 15%" of cycles or whatnot for OS, Apps, and Kinect is taking the easier route: 3 threads and 1GB for the OS, Apps, and Kinect *always* reserved.

This could also play into other models, e.g. a set top box model where it only runs the OS, Apps, and Kinect. They could use a svelter hardware design (3 cores + 1 GB memory) and/or even use defective chips.
Well,what/how many "apps" need 1.5GB?and Kinect is part of gaming

2GB(or even more) ram for non-gaming thing just not gonna happen

Haven't spoken to Ben in a while, not sure what he's up to anymore. I think he's still with the company. We move around a fair amount internally here.

He's a moderator over at Doom9 and, last I was aware, was working at Amazon with their Instant Video service.

Speaking of HD video , how much of the decision to prop up HD DVD was driven by console strategy?

Tho I guess codecs were important. Isn't Xbox under threat of a ban because of H.264 patents owned by Motorola?

Of course now mobile is the big battleground and moto is using this patent in retaliation for MS demanding patent royalties from moto for smart phones.

Except that 3 threads isn't 15%, it's nearly 40%.

I can't imagine a gaming console out on the market that would dedicate 40% of its CPU capabilities to non-gaming tasks.

Who knows. It all depends on what they plan to do with it. Especially if it's meant to be on all the time facilitating not only things in the UI (out of game) but things within games theselves.

- Higher resolution, faster, and more accurate body recognition and tracking? As well as being finer grained (think facial features/fingers)
- Faster and more accurate multi-positional voice recognition?

Those are just two things off the top of my head that could account for some of that. AFAIK, alot of the Kinect related body tracking is currently done on the X360 GPU. Perhaps they wish to offload that onto more general purpose CPUs. And that is certainly something that MS would need to be available both in game and out of game, so reserving resources for it would make sense.

Perhaps having a higher thread count CPU to handle things like that in their own thread is cheaper than having dedicated hardware processors to handle those things? 6/8 core CPU perhaps being cheaper than 4/6 core CPU with additional hardware IC's to handle specific tasks. Not only in terms of purse monetary cost, but in complexity, heat, and design.

And, of course, all of the above isn't to say this is what's going on or to even validate the rumors. Just ideas of what MS could potentially use those resources for.

Regards,
SB

I thought one of the leaks (one of the more reliable leaks) stated MS wanted to put the processing (or at least some of it) for Kinect data into the camera itself.

Speaking of HD video , how much of the decision to prop up HD DVD was driven by console strategy?

Tho I guess codecs were important. Isn't Xbox under threat of a ban because of H.264 patents owned by Motorola?

Of course now mobile is the big battleground and moto is using this patent in retaliation for MS demanding patent royalties from moto for smart phones.
HD DVD was definitely a strategic investment for MS. However, the console strategy wasn't an important part of the decision to support it. The MS HD DVD team was started up in 2004, long before the PS3 or 360 were even announced. It was much more about codecs, and enabling interactivity in home media. MS was originally format agnostic, until the BDA refused to adopt HDi, against Sony's recommendations...

As to the Motorola case, I can't comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back