AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

I think people might be interested in checking out the latest GPUPerfAPI release...it is at least intriguing in what it claims to have added support for.

I think people might be interested in checking out the latest GPUPerfAPI release...it is at least intriguing in what it claims to have added support for.

Do you mean the mention of HD 8000 series? That's probably just Kabini and Richland.

Everything but the third fan is identical, down to every reflection. The odds of that happening in real life are very, very low.

Specially the shadow are all similar, but the 2 shadows just on the right of the right fan are strange, look like they have been designed and the border have another definition..

Now it happen, for some internal informations, some teams are do a quick things like that just for illustration purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything but the third fan is identical, down to every reflection. The odds of that happening in real life are very, very low.
I was quick to dismiss the gtx780 images, i don't want to do the same again.

This cooler has more plastic at the end of it compared to malta, also AMD have mentioned that the 8000 series will have an improved cooler, modifying the malta cooler to the more desired 2 fan solution seems logical.

Again i'm not saying it is real, just don't dismiss it without solid evidence. :D

BTW i am talking about this image.

Do you mean the mention of HD 8000 series? That's probably just Kabini and Richland.

So additional support for more APUs, also quoted in the release notes, is for all the other new AMD APUs that are neither Kabini nor Richland... Also the nomenclature is not aligned, although in this world of names being not names, as 3dilletante would put it, that might not matter much (the AMD Radeon XXXX Series has been traditionally used to denote discrete).

An "LE" version from the start points to either a very large chip or it's been getting fabbed for quite a while already doesn't it?

Hawaii GL40. AFAIR GL denotes FireGL/Pro card, does the 40 mean 40CUs? or 40ROPs? :)
Good catch. Could be either, or both (or an arbitrary number). AFAIK, AMD doesn't traditionally disable ROPs/buses by 8 ROPs/64 bits respectively, so my guess is that it would be 40 CUs. I wonder if ROPs are still decoupled.

An "LE" version from the start points to either a very large chip or it's been getting fabbed for quite a while already doesn't it?
Not necessarily. A large chip isn't a requirement, nor is long fab time. Either would make it more likely, however. A large chip means larger process variation, leading to more potential parts. Long fab time means longer time to acquire less-functional parts.

I'm leaning on the big chip side. I'm on my phone and can't do the math right now, but the incoming high end GPU should be well over 400mm2. Long fab time is out of the question, though.

Was there anything similar with Tahiti and earlier cards?

Sort of. There was supposed to have been an 7890/7930, but I don't think it ever surfaced. There was definitely a 6790, and a cut down 6950 that was a limited run card (I think). There was also a 5830.

Ah, I don't ever remember seeing reviews for that. It certainly didn't get exposure on the major hardware sites. Still, a 2013 release is a lot later than its expected timeframe...

Could someone please refresh my memory:
What exactly is Sea Islands, again?

Seeing that apparently Volcanic Islands is coming in Q3 or Q4, I want to get the names straight. Sea Islands, Central Islands, Canary Islands (?), Volcanic Islands...

Could someone please refresh my memory:
What exactly is Sea Islands, again?

Seeing that apparently Volcanic Islands is coming in Q3 or Q4, I want to get the names straight. Sea Islands, Central Islands, Canary Islands (?), Volcanic Islands...

Sea Islands is just marketing, it's not linked to a specific graphics IP level.

I thought as much, but is there some kind of source? What about the other ones? Is Volcanic Islands supposed to be a mix of 2014 GPUs, then and not just a certain architecture?

Back