Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. You can always provide a link. ;)

Wikipedia like I said :p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor:_Warfighter
Wii U version

On June 7, 2011, during Nintendo's E3 2011 press conference, John Riccitiello of EA games expressed interest in Nintendo's upcoming system, the Wii U.[10] The Austrian newspapers Der Standard has reported that Warfighter is scheduled for Wii U alongside Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC releases, like many other known multi-platform Wii U games, most notably Assassin's Creed III.[11]

The link they retrieved it from is now dead, though.

What we know about Wii U GPU? :?:

That it's "custom Radeon HD", supposedly SM4.1 (R7xx-generation) with a chance of SM5.0 (especially in the light of newest comments about modern GPU), and Nintendos own custom functions they wanted there

If the WiiU really has such a high emphasis on GPGPU as the last rumors suggest I think we can expect a pretty modern architecture (altough not the most powerful)

Look how long it took Wii numbers to leak, people still weren't believing what was leaked well after it was launched.

Yep hard to swallow. :(

Some of us just know them though, so it's different for them, and I'd expect them to be tight lips...

The following came from the analyst E3 Q&A. Just adding to what you posted.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120606qa/index.html

Ha straight from the horses mouth, unless iwata is pulling a fast one, telling a few pork pies to dumb down expectaction for the grand unveiling of a mini super computer, I think people should keep their expectations extremely low.

Certainly when the head honcho who's trying to drum up hype for his 'baby' makes comments like that...that assassins creed 3 looks "just as good" that "you can't tell the difference" from 7 year old consoles likely selling for half the price..it doesnt look good peckers.

Expect to be ripped off for what appears to me - a resistive wvga touch screen controller straight out of 2006.

Of course, because we have designed a new hardware system, we are using new technology and we are using new GPUs... 
:smile:

But as we have to devote significant costs to the Wii U GamePad, if we were to apply the same level of enhancement that other console manufacturers shoot for to the processing power component, the Wii U would become extremely high in price, and it would not be affordable. In other words, we think that the way that the various console manufacturers are allocating their budgets to the hardware is different from the way that we allocate our budget to the hardware. Ultimately, we’re looking to maintain a price point for the Wii U that is reasonable in comparison to the value to be offered.
There is also another differentiation point here. While existing platforms have engines that development teams have tuned and optimized for six to seven years after their respective launches, the Wii U is a new platform that has slightly different architecture and, since development teams have only just begun development on software for it, they are only at the halfway point to utilizing its full potential. Despite this fact, however, if you look at the game “Assassin’s Creed III,” which was recently announced or shown, you can’t see much difference when you compare it with games for other companies’ systems. I hope that helps you to understand a little bit better

:cry:

Ha straight from the horses mouth, unless iwata is pulling a fast one, telling a few pork pies to dumb down expectaction for the grand unveiling of a mini super computer, I think people should keep their expectations extremely low.

Certainly when the head honcho who's trying to drum up hype for his 'baby' makes comments like that...that assassins creed 3 looks "just as good" that "you can't tell the difference" from 7 year old consoles likely selling for half the price..it doesnt look good peckers.

Expect to be ripped off for what appears to me - a resistive wvga touch screen controller straight out of 2006.

You're taking that completely out of context.

Of course he was just trying to say the graphics won't be bad compared to the competition, unfortunately he's also making another statement.

Put it this way, aside from being a nintendo fan (which you are, no shame they make fantastic games) why would you trade in your ps360 for a wuu?

Better still why would you want to fork out £250-£300 on a console twice the price of its competitors, with the same graphics, with less media capabilities (for the most part) less games, and the complete inability to play with even 1 friend or family member in the same room at launch??

I'm sorry it's ridiculous for 2012, I'm angry because I was looking forward to buy one, I feel a bit cheated especially as I know it's going to be obsolete performance wise 12 months later with little to no hope of even getting decent ports.

Seriously I'm going to just stick with my galaxy s3 for another 18 month's...

Iwata doesn't really say anything other than that it will match the other systems. The takeaway from that, I think, isn't that the entire system is equally as fast. Even if we presume that the CPU is only on par, it doesn't mean that the GPU couldn't be significantly faster. Which would actually surprise me given that the average laptop can manage much greater performance with far less volume.

Somewhat more on topic, it means that there is an awful lot of FUD being spread here by pretenders. There has been far too much 'I know this!' with far too little evidence to back up.

I've seen the AC III youtube video, with minimum effort the devs put a map and weapon switching on the gamepad's screen. that's convincing for me.
I mean, if you look at an x360, it's just like an updated PS2 for me, but here we have a new input/output ability which makes the experience more PC-like.

you can touch an icon, no more lame bindings to d-pad or triggers, no need for a two-weapon limit. no need for scrolling between giant text menu options, with a d-pad or joystick, you now have a point-and-click approach to your inventory and game saves.

you will even use an onscreen keyboard rather than select characters with your d-pad, as if you were playing a SNES RPG. it's nice, really! :)

the CPU and GPU hardware really is current gen, but I have a feeling that the big edram and increased memory can help with the current problems : lack of AA and low res textures.

Somewhat more on topic, it means that there is an awful lot of FUD being spread here by pretenders. There has been far too much 'I know this!' with far too little evidence to back up.

Well it is a "speculative" thread. People who are right can't post evidence because they're playing with NDA'd info, people who are wrong can't post evidence because they don't have any, and people in the middle are just left with hearsay from both sides.

But then again, even "right" and "wrong" are grey areas when it comes to hardware capabilities since every piece of software will exercise it in a different way. Best to focus on the software since it will be a long time before any reasonably accurate consensus on how good or bad the hardware is relative to current HD consoles comes around. I'm thinking 2-3 years, if Wii is any indication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back