*spin-off* Importance of Backward Compatibility Discussion

Ah right. Heroes wasn't, but Crusaders was. Kind of odd considering Heroes was more or less the same with different campaigns.

Ninja Gaiden Black was pretty decent all-considering (widescreen support too). The 4xMSAA is nice. Can't remember the framerate well. Don't remember it being bad.

Guys just got a 360 and would really like to play some old games like MGS2, Silent Hill and a few others...

Hows the BC on 360? Does it render games at native 720p or should I consider emulation?

Wouldn't the HD remasters play much better?

And about BC
Right now MS tested 200+ 360 games run on Durango,about 80% can play on Durango,others need patch or they will give up .

What's this N2O?

Do you have a source or are you just speculating based on existing rumours?
First line is my guess based on AMD china guy source.
Second line is my source,i know a MS guy but he never told me any important part.

Last edited by a moderator:
And about BC
Right now MS tested 200+ 360 games run on Durango,about 80% can play on Durango,others need patch or they will give up .

I never heard this kind of rumor before, so I presume you are knowing this from your own sources. :?:

Also, I dont see why would they give up if 80% works great. They just need to slap "beta" sign on BC software and market will accept limited library access.

I never heard this kind of rumor before, so I presume you are knowing this from your own sources. :?:

Also, I dont see why would they give up if 80% works great. They just need to slap "beta" sign on BC software and market will accept limited library access.
I mean give up the 20% games can't run on Durango

I mean give up the 20% games can't run on Durango

Sounds like a support nightmare to me, unless they are just reselling the compatible titles on the new console, how does a 720 purchaser know which bits of his existing library are compatible?
While a lot of posters on this board might understand partial backwards compatibility, I'm not sure that the average 360 owner is sophisticated enough to understand it.

Maybe they will make a list,just like they made "which XBOX games can run on 360" list.

Yeah I wonder how that worked out for them, I know the testing cost was enormous, but I wonder about the additional support cost.

If they tested the backwards compatibility on the development kit does that mean that emulating xbox 360 on Pc may be possible? unless they already have silicon or their test is not actual game-play but compatibility issues.

If they tested the backwards compatibility on the development kit does that mean that emulating xbox 360 on Pc may be possible? unless they already have silicon or their test is not actual game-play but compatibility issues.

All amulation is possible on PC, the real problem is the performance. Xbox 360 don't have any Xbox silicon and it can emulate some Xbox games.

Yes, it should be possible if the information N2O has been given is accurate.

How is the original Xbox emulation on PC? what about 2005-2010?

There will not be any form of backwards compatibility next generation for one pure and simple reason.

Selling 'HD' editions of games has been very very successful over the last couple of years.

Why offer a machine that can play last generations games for free when they can sell them as an 'HD' edition on the market place and get easy money from it?

There will not be any form of backwards compatibility next generation for one pure and simple reason.

Selling 'HD' editions of games has been very very successful over the last couple of years.

Why offer a machine that can play last generations games for free when they can sell them as an 'HD' edition on the market place and get easy money from it?

But as gamers invested so much more on this generation compared to ps2/xbox generation in terms of downloadable contents, having a BC is more important than ever.

But as gamers invested so much more on this generation compared to ps2/xbox generation in terms of downloadable contents, having a BC is more important than ever.

If selling old games in HD has anything, its told the venders, publishers and developers that people will buy it.

Microsoft could sell an HD Halo pack and it would sell by the bucket load so why offer BC and lose your self some 'free' revenue?

If selling old games in HD has anything, its told the venders, publishers and developers that people will buy it.

Microsoft could sell an HD Halo pack and it would sell by the bucket load so why offer BC and lose your self some 'free' revenue?

If there is no BC then that makes current console owners less eager to upgrade to a next gen box.

If there is no BC then that makes current console owners less eager to upgrade to a next gen box.

And if it has Bc and is able to scale the games to 1080p and 60Hz i expected that every owner would want to upgrade to the new generation so they could play their old games better.
even if the change was just 30fps to 60fps it would be wort it

Back