NPD December 2010

1.36M consoles December 2009 http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=56180&highlight=npd+december+2009

(It's great when we have easy-to-search NPD thread titles!)

Code:
     2009          2010
Jan    203.2K     276.9K 
Feb    276.0K     360.1K 
Mar    218.0K     313.9K 
Apr    127.0K     180.8K
May    131.0K     154.5K
Jun    164.7K     304.8K
Jul    121.8K     214.5K 
Aug    210.0K     226.0K
Sep    491.8K     312.0K
Oct    320.6K     250.0K
Nov    710.4K     1.370M
Dec    1.360M     1.210M
Total: 4361.5K   5173.5K
hmmmmmmmmmm. Now we need the rest of the world.

Just one point of clarification, it was 530k for PS3 in Nov 2010. 1.37 million was for X360. Just correcting that month brings 2010 numbers for PS3 down to 4333.5k which is less than 2009.

The other numbers for Jan. - Oct. look correct so I didn't bother looking those up.

So NPD and MS were both correct in stating that X360 was the only console with YoY growth both for 2010 and December, 2010. :)

Regards,
SB

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/microsofts-xbox-360-kinect-bundles-outsold-move-bundles-by-51/

""About one fifth of PS3 sales included bundles with Sony’s Move controller, suggesting a modest third month (we have chosen not to subscribe to peripheral data). About half of Xbox 360 sales included bundles with Microsoft’s Kinect peripheral, as Xbox 360 Kinect console bundles outsold PS3 Move console bundles by 5:1," Pachter said.

"Microsoft announced that it has shipped 8 million Kinect units since launch (in November), which was raised from its earlier goal of 5 million. More significantly, in our view, the top two selling Kinect software titles outsold the top two Move titles by over 13:1."

1.36M consoles December 2009 http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=56180&highlight=npd+december+2009

(It's great when we have easy-to-search NPD thread titles!)

Code:
     2009          2010
Jan    203.2K     276.9K 
Feb    276.0K     360.1K 
Mar    218.0K     313.9K 
Apr    127.0K     180.8K
May    131.0K     154.5K
Jun    164.7K     304.8K
Jul    121.8K     214.5K 
Aug    210.0K     226.0K
Sep    491.8K     312.0K
Oct    320.6K     250.0K
Nov    710.4K     1.370M
Dec    1.360M     1.210M
Total: 4361.5K   5173.5K
hmmmmmmmmmm. Now we need the rest of the world.

Actually the quote I read was talking about total sales for the year (although maybe I misread it, anyway that's where I had come up with the 1.21 calculation, although I did quick addition and should have said less than 1.22 :p). I suppose I could have communicated that fact a bit better in my post. In case you're wondering the 1.21 million actually put the PS3 selling 900 less consoles in 2010 than in 2009.

And you goofed up somewhere on those numbers you listed. <edit> november 2010 was 530,000 for ps3, you listed the x360 number.

PS3 2009 was 4334500, 2010 was 4333600.
flat (down 900 units)
X360 2009 was 4770700 2010 was 6764089
up 41.8%
Wii 2009 was 9959400, 2010 was 7069900
down 29%

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, you corrected the wrong November and made it even less correct :p

Dunno maybe he's fixed it again since, but it looks roughly right now.

Maybe I should just move my spreadsheet to google docs and save everyone the math issues.

And I especially like the following quote...

"PS3 is perhaps the only console that grows more valuable over time."

Uh... What? They have the balls to say that after the incredible consumer reation to Kinect the past two months? Implication being that X360 didn't grow more valuable with the release of Kinect. :oops: Big hairy balls indeed. :)

It's especially ballsy when you consider the series of hardware/software features that Sony have removed from the PS3 since launch.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/microsofts-xbox-360-kinect-bundles-outsold-move-bundles-by-51/

""About one fifth of PS3 sales included bundles with Sony’s Move controller, suggesting a modest third month (we have chosen not to subscribe to peripheral data). About half of Xbox 360 sales included bundles with Microsoft’s Kinect peripheral, as Xbox 360 Kinect console bundles outsold PS3 Move console bundles by 5:1," Pachter said.

"Microsoft announced that it has shipped 8 million Kinect units since launch (in November), which was raised from its earlier goal of 5 million. More significantly, in our view, the top two selling Kinect software titles outsold the top two Move titles by over 13:1."

:oops:

after seeing the Kinect in action over the holiday at a friend's house with a couple of families, I can see this continuing to grow... they have scratched the "minority Report - virtual reality" itch that has been in peoples' minds for years now.

Or to simplify, a lot of people hate gaming because they don't like controllers, not because they don't like to have fun with an electronic game. Kinect gives them a way to have fun (in HD without a controller to push)

Kind of disappointed in the 360's sales, expected more and I don't really believe the whole shortages excuse.

Also what I would like to know is.....

NPD:
The NPD Group, the preliminary estimate* for total consumer spend on gaming content via all monetization methods, including new physical video and PC games, used games, game rentals, subscriptions, digital full-game downloads, social network games, downloadable content, and mobile game apps, is between $15.4 to $15.6 billion
Microsoft:
$6.2 billion was spent on Xbox 360 products during December
Am I reading that right that more than 1/3 of all spending in the US was on the 360 alone or is MS spinning WW sales into a NPD press release?? Insane if they are only counting US.

I think we're already at a point where it's quite well established - Microsoft has managed to open for the large casual market with Kinect, but Sony has not.

Sony clearly targeted the core market with Move and honestly I thought this was the correct approach rather than marketing to the casual like MS have. However in retrospect, I've realized that when marketing to the market that is likely to already own your system, you aren't really expanding your market.

Odd how I thought Sony's approach, marketing to the core and possibly them spreading the word to the casual, turned out to be the less effective one. Never saw that coming.

Odd how I thought Sony's approach, marketing to the core and possibly them spreading the word to the casual, turned out to be the less effective one. Never saw that coming.

the "Me too/Wii HD" plan never looked like a good plan to me.

It seems like a solid peripheral and I am certain it works great and is fun, but for creating/expanding/defining a market? not so much.

Kind of disappointed in the 360's sales, expected more and I don't really believe the whole shortages excuse.
I don't think the argument is about a shortage of actual consoles (doubtful), rather that a shortage of Kincects/bundles (evident) have been impacting the number of consoles sold to the new expanded customer base (possible/probable).

However in retrospect, I've realized that when marketing to the market that is likely to already own your system, you aren't really expanding your market.

I'd say MS has sold far more standalone Kinects then bundles. Total X360 sales were ~3 million in these two months in the US, but they've shipped 8 million Kinects, there's a good chance more than 50% of them were sold separately, to existing 360 owners.

No, the key here is that in the eye of the general public, Kinect is new and interesting, an experience unlike anything else, whereas Move is just a Wii re-hash (technical details aside).

after seeing the Kinect in action over the holiday at a friend's house with a couple of families, I can see this continuing to grow... they have scratched the "minority Report - virtual reality" itch that has been in peoples' minds for years now.

Kinect has already reached a critical mass where it's worth investing serious money into a groundbreaking title that leverages the system's unique abilities, because the first few publishers to do this are going to score some serious sales.
I expect big things, especially after looking at the underground development going on with the hacked systems on the PC. The possibilities are incredible, there's a whole new field of gameplay mechanics to invent and explore. I'd be disappointed if this potential remains untapped.

There's been a nice article a few years ago, around the Wii's release, about how Nintendo has to keep innovating in order to create new genres where they can develop titles without competition from the big studios. Examples were the analog stick and the wiimote. I believe MS has managed to do just this with Kinect and this is one of the reasons for their success.

Also, the success poses an interesting dilemma for MS. Should they release the Xbox3 with Kinect, or keep it as an accessory?
Bundling it with all consoles means they really have to work hard on the pricing, but keeping it separate means a good chance of reduced developer support...

Sony clearly targeted the core market with Move and honestly I thought this was the correct approach rather than marketing to the casual like MS have. However in retrospect, I've realized that when marketing to the market that is likely to already own your system, you aren't really expanding your market.

What has to be a larger concern for Sony is that while Move itself appears to be selling well, there's a few things that stick out.

Kinect has been the best selling accessory for 2 months in a row. That means that Kinect at 149 USD is outselling Sony's Move despite being significantly more expensive and despite being limited to 1 Kinect per household where dual moves would be popular for some games and certainly for multiplayer.

And, despite selling well, Move has failed to move software as much as Kinect appears to have. I don't think any Move enabled title even make the single SKU top 10 and I'd be surprised if a Move required title made the top 20.

That certainly reinforces me belief from a year ago that whichever accessory targetted non-core gamers would be by far the most successful for Holiday 2010.

Going forward things may change however if Sony can play it's cards right. There's certainly potential long term benefits if they can successfully market a core Move title I think. Something they have failed to do thus far, IMO. As well, it remains to be seen if MS can maintain Kinect momentum. It'll take at least another year before we have a good idea how well either accessory will ultimately end up.

No doubt about it that Kinect cleaned up for Holiday 2010, though.

I'd say MS has sold far more standalone Kinects then bundles. Total X360 sales were ~3 million in these two months in the US, but they've shipped 8 million Kinects, there's a good chance more than 50% of them were sold separately, to existing 360 owners.

No, the key here is that in the eye of the general public, Kinect is new and interesting, an experience unlike anything else, whereas Move is just a Wii re-hash (technical details aside).

I'm personally surprised at how well Kinect did selling to existing users of X360. I, like many others, thought Kinect would be less than attractive to core gamers.

But in hindsight it makes a lot of sense. Families and core gamers with girlfriends would have potential to have non-X360 gamers in their household who would be attracted to it. As well as the whole party attraction with games that might make them more attractive to core gamers (Dance Central for example).

It's too bad we can't see NPD numbers for how many Kinects sold with a breakdown of each SKU.

Regards,
SB

you may want to revisit your 2nd grade English comprehension teacher.
you will notice a whole empty line after the ;)

All I said is if Alpha thinks that 1.21 is less than 1.21, he better take that up with his 2nd grade math teacher. I just found his overreaction funny when rotmm pointed out 1.21 isnt less than 1.21. Comprehend? No need to apologise Silent_Buddha

btw if ppl want to see current US stocks of consoles

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/microsoft/xbox360elite/
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/sony/ps3/
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/accessories/kinect/
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/accessories/ps3/

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought everyone has learned the PS2's lesson by now - no console's user base is completely homogeneous. Just as the X360 has some casual owners, so does the Wii have core users.

Also, why can't at least some core users have some Kinect fun? :)

you will notice a whole empty line after the ;)

All I said is if Alpha thinks that 1.21 is less than 1.21, he better take that up with his 2nd grade math teacher. I just found his overreaction funny when rotmm pointed out 1.21 isnt less than 1.21. Comprehend? No need to apologise Silent_Buddha

btw if ppl want to see current US stocks of consoles

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/microsoft/xbox360elite/
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/sony/ps3/
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/accessories/kinect/
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/accessories/ps3/

No apologies from me, as I'm assuming the rotmm post you're referring to is the one that just says "oops". :) As well your post is replying to his post which is that it can't be "less than or equal to." In other words according to second grade math, his statement is still correct as 1.21 is still less than or equal to 1.21. :) And I'm still not sure what the MS numbers have to do with that conversation chain. How much MS rounded the numbers for a PR release has no bearings on whether the PS3 could have sold enouogh units to make it have a YoY increase as NPD had already stated that it hadn't.

And it's nice to see Kinect is in stock at most places again and price gouging is done with. Still seems to be stock issues with PS Move though, at least when I just checked on Amazon, as well as a little bit of price gouging there on the single move SKU.

Regards,
SB

Back