Nokia's Present & Future

...and the "creator of cyanogenmod" recently left Samsung and criticized their interface...

interface ≠ features

Besides, preference on interface is highly subjective. I use CM10.1 in my Android but I have no quarrels with Samsung's UI on GS3.

Found some interesting write ups/info.
http://m.seekingalpha.com/article/1336201-nokia-recovery-is-gathering-pace?source=google_news

Basically this auther thinks nokia is on the up and has the right strategy. .
I must say although I didnt agree with ditching meego/symbian so quick..never mind some of elops retarded comments (multicores waste your battery and burn your hands)
... I do agree that they are on a comeback somewhat and have a good strategy.

Wp8.x blue or whatever it ends up being called looks to catch up with android on the hardware front sometime q4...offering improved software festures as well as larger 1080p displays and quadcore processors.

Im currently awaiting an upgrade around the time of the note3/asuspadfone4/lumia super phone...hopefully nokia will put the smack down with snapdragon 800 :)

Just spent another week in Beijing and saw zero windows phone. All my employees say nobody wants them because there are no apps. Everyone is android or ios. When I told them Nokia tells their shareholders they're doing great, even on top, in China the answer is "and the shareholders believe them?"

No joking and no exaggeration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spent another week in Beijing and saw zero windows phone. All my employees say nobody wants them because there are no apps. Everyone is android or ios. When I told them Nokia tells their shareholders they're doing great, even on top, in China the answer is "and the shareholders believe them?"

Well id take your word for it if you actually go there and experience it first hand.

Still I do think wp will solidify a distant 3rd place, dont know whats happened to blackberry, z10 is a god awefull contraption.

im not seeing any in SE asia also yet, but I think this is partly due to them having a higher entry price than android phones (ok not a major factor in singapore)
I think win phones are doing quite well in nz/oz. huge marketting in nz a couple of months ago (prolly bigger coverage in ads than apple)

yeah looked up the 520 for 299$nz it looks quite good.
I havent heard this before, but I wouldnt be surprise if a factor counting against it is the myriads of ppl who have tried win8 on the PC and hated it, & say to them selves theres no way Im gonna suffer that on another device, even though on a touchscreen win8 is better suited.
btw, yes I realize 2 diff OSs

Also, I realize my experience is just anecdotal, but I think is a reasonable sample of professionals in Beijing and Shanghai.

What if they achieved 5-10% of the Android market?

Would they be better off?

Or 5% of Android, 50% of Win8, 100% of Meego and 100% of Symbian Belle which would still be alive and kicking if they hadn't told everyone it was dead.

Or 5% of Android, 50% of Win8, 100% of Meego and 100% of Symbian Belle which would still be alive and kicking if they hadn't told everyone it was dead.

No it wouldn't, it was horrible compared to any other platform from user perspective at least.
They couldn't get as good deal from MS as they got if they had gone with, say, Android too.

No it wouldn't, it was horrible compared to any other platform from user perspective at least.
They couldn't get as good deal from MS as they got if they had gone with, say, Android too.

How much time have you spent with Symbian Belle? It's hardly as bad as you seem to believe. Symbian was creating wifi hotspots and using forward facing cameras for video IP calls before Apple had facetime or Android had hotspots, etc.

Yes, it needed to be replaced with Meego, it required a bit of technical savvy to do a few things, and it was slowly dying, but Elop announcing to the world that Symbian was dead was utterly foolish.

How much has Nokia lost since then? About $7 billion. Yes, $7 billion. It hasn't made a profit since before Elop opened his mouth and killed Belle before they had anything else to offer.

Great deal there with MS, huh? They lose $7 billion, drop about $30 billion in assets and get to be the King of a Turd Operating System.

Yes mize I think your right mostly, however symbian needed sn overhaul and although it pioneered many things that iphone users have just got and think are a revolution. ..in the end symbian just copied android.

It needed major investment and some loving. ..your right though elop lost his marbles by sending that burning oil rig memo.

I would have just loved a really high end phone to have been made with snapdragon s600 or something. ..jesus that thing would go like a rocket ship!!

Yes mize I think your right mostly, however symbian needed sn overhaul and although it pioneered many things that iphone users have just got and think are a revolution. ..in the end symbian just copied android.

It needed major investment and some loving. ..your right though elop lost his marbles by sending that burning oil rig memo.

I would have just loved a really high end phone to have been made with snapdragon s600 or something. ..jesus that thing would go like a rocket ship!!

Uh...Symbian copied Android? I'm going to assume you accidentally flipped that since Symbian predates Android by years as do so many of its many stronger features.

Personally I thought Belle was a very nice overhaul of a dying OS and MeeGo, with its Qt base, was a strong start to a replacement platform. MeeGo on an s600 (or, better yet, webOS on an s600) with an app ecosystem would be quite the contender. Even as short-lived as MeeGo was (now Sailfish) it had quite a few really nice apps. The N9 was on the slow side, but to say WP7 was ahead of MeeGo was quite a stretch.

Even today I'd love to have one of those Nokia 808 Purviews for vacations. That camera trounces anything else on the market by a mile. Sure its CPU is weak and Belle is, well, Bell, but what else is there if you want a cameral comparable to a mid-range digital camera, what other options are there?

Dude seriously belle was looking very like android when I played around on it..admittedly I havnt used it as much as your self (probably) but my general impressions were that...ive read reviews also saying the same sort of thing.

Back