AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

EDIT:
desktop_2012_03_04_00r0ub0.png

http://www.3dcenter.org/news/erste-benchmarks-zu-radeon-hd-7850-7870

Those SCII results aren't making any sense to me :oops:.

Edit:
They talking about another AMD series video card already (Tenerife)? Is this some sort of refresh or fake?
pic

Last edited by a moderator:
At $349 and $249 I'd guess so.

So we know they're 349 and 249? I expected as much, sadly.

amd expects us to pay a premium across the board for 28nm, and unfortunately with no competition they can command it.

Those 3dcenter benches 7870 is really being hurt by sc2 and da2, dunno if those normally bench terribly for amd, but if it's some kind of fluke 7870 will skunk 570 in most games, not bad at all.

Those 3dcenter benches 7870 is really being hurt by sc2 and da2, dunno if those normally bench terribly for amd, but if it's some kind of fluke 7870 will skunk 570 in most games, not bad at all.
In these benches at least the 6970 didn't well neither in SC2 compared to nvidia. But in Dragon Age 2, the HD69xx have decent showings, only the HD7xxx are terrible - with even the HD7950 getting beat by the 6970... Dragon Age 2 also shows the best scaling from 7850 to 7870, which would indicate it's extremely limited by shader power, but I don't think that makes sense.

amd expects us to pay a premium across the board for 28nm, and unfortunately with no competition they can command it...

If there is no competition, then why do they show you slides with comparisons to nvidia's GTX570 and GTX560Ti? :oops:
Have you noticed that at newegg there is only a single 6970 available for 410$ while there is plenty of stock of THE FASTER GTX570 for as low as 305-310$.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...n=radeon 6970&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=gtx 570&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

I think they can't command it and you will see a proof very soon or when their next quarter balance sheets appear, their pricing policy is the worst ever in their history and 7870 will be limited edition for hardcore AMD fans only. :mrgreen:

Have you noticed that at newegg there is only a single 6970 available for 410$ while there is plenty of stock of THE FASTER GTX570 for as low as 305-310$.
Which one is faster depends solely on the set of games tested - TPU as an example has the largest set of games being tested - with their previous game set HD6970 was faster, with the new one GTX570 is faster.
(Point being, they're overall both just as fast cards)

The 6970 is clearly in very limited supply at retailers as it went EOL some time ago. You can't compare prices like that for an EOL product. No, they aren't always more expensive, but in this instance, the supply is clearly already very low.

The 7 series have their advantages which the current 5xx series from NV can't match, so until 6xx comes along then yeah, they can ask a premium for the entire line up.

Have you noticed that at newegg there is only a single 6970 available for 410$
There have been sales all over e and retailers where the card could be had for $300 with 2 or 3 free games. Looks like the strategy worked and they've all sold out. :)

while there is plenty of stock of THE FASTER GTX570 for as low as 305-310$.
Only in your mind. The cards are about equal with the 6970 being generally faster with higher image quality settings. I see this as NVIDIA BEING UNABLE TO SELL PRODUCT (I can capitalize letters too :)) in spite of having a "reduced" price and every day that passes that stockpile of inventory keeps depreciating. We should expect deeper discounts in the near future.

Yeah, and that's why it is written "Customer Choice Award Winner" on nvidia products pages at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...eforce 560 ti&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20. :LOL: They simply "flood" the channel with many 560s and 570s and that's why there is plenty of stock. :mrgreen:

I haven't seen the same description "Customer Choice Award Winner" on any AMD graphics product. :D

I think this post needs a special sub-forum called beyondridiculous dedicated to it. :)

Yes, other sites don't show the GTX570 to be that fast in this game:
http://ht4u.net/reviews/2012/amd_radeon_hd_7700_test/index31.php
Not sure why the difference. Though all reviews show the 7950 to be only about as fast as the 6970, so gcn doesn't seem to like this game (or there's some driver work to do). It also shows some quite untypical behavior on lower-end amd cards, e.g. a hd5830 being quite a bit faster than hd6850. There's also a huge difference between 7750 and 7770 too - all pointing to extremely good scaling with additional simds/CUs.

If the rumored pricing is correct AMD really has no sweet spot card (which I would argue was probably the 6870 in recent times, you could get it for ~$130 and it's good performer).

They go from underwhelming 7770 at 159 straight to 7850 at 279 (rumored).

That's a big gap and almost $300 for the first "decent" AMD card for enthusiasts. Wow.

Once again, not very exciting pricing to put it lightly. Would have like to see something in maybe the ~230 range with good performance.

Course I suppose it's not fair to compare late gen prices to early ones either, in a few months with rebates I'm sure 7850 price will have fallen a lot.

Back