NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

Or you have clever cases like the Silverstone Raven Series, where the board is rotaded 90 degress, with the exhausts of the cards facing upwards perfectly utilizing natural convection.

Actually IIRC that has been proven to be worse than the "normal" position for at least some video cards

Actually IIRC that has been proven to be worse than the "normal" position for at least some video cards

Some have reported it being worse for coolers with long straight heat pipes, but for regular coolers there is no problem. I also saw great temps with Accelero Extreme plus on GTX 570 in Raven2 so at least it can work.

Cool design but all kinds of things wrong with their assumptions.

Because the entire thing moves, it also cuts down on dust buildup, which has a serious effect on a cooling system's efficiency. Oh, and due to its speed and the way it floats (sort of like hydroplaning), the system is much quieter than typical fans.

Dust builds up on fanblades, especially the leading edge. That's going to be even more of an issue for this setup. On a normal fan blade it just increases the turbulence and decreases airflow somewhat. High buildup on the setup in that article has the potential to close off a significant amount of airflow.

As well, most of the audible noise of a fan (unless it is quite large) comes from the turbulence created by the fanblades as well the airflow. I'm not sure this design would address that significantly.

But at least it appears to potentially address the issue of "dead spots" on traditional CPU fan/heatsinks which don't use blower fans.

Regards,
SB

Another rumor said 660 had been delayed until August, because there were 120,000 GTX 570's backlogged (with similar performance and according to the rumor, possible better overclocking than 660 XX).

Then it was said 570's were due to fall under 200 euros, so I was hoping for some crazy USA sales, but theyre all still $250.

Anyways I'd trust Fudzilla's July more.
At any rate, consumers desperately need the 660 to launch. There are 4 cards from AMD (7700-7800) that need a response from Nvidia. The 7750 would have a competitor, the 640, if the 640 were priced intelligently.

Anyways, performance per dollar is downright shameful this generation. This is because AMD and Nvidia are only butting heads with their highest end offerings.

Yes Nvidia, GK104 is a better gaming chip than Tahiti. However, it cannot serve all of your customers. It's time to wake up already.

The real problem imo is AMD left a huge hole between, $240+ 7850 and $110-$125 7770.

While OTOH, countless 7870's, 7950, 7970, 670's, 680, even rumored 7930 crowd that $300-$500 market.

The 7750 would have a competitor, the 640, if the 640 were priced intelligently.

Not intelligently but less greedy. NV thinks people are so gullible they can charge whatever crazy price comes into their minds.

Radeon HD7750 is significantly faster than GT 640, depending on the game and settings the lead varies between 50 and 90% :!: :oops:

At the same price. 110. :D

My point being is that those cards are in completely different performance segments, market segments too but I suspect that when NV realises how bad their sales are, they will fix the insane pricing.

My point being is that those cards are in completely different performance segments, market segments too but I suspect that when NV realises how bad their sales are, they will fix the insane pricing.
Like you said, Nvidia thinks they can get away with it. And they do. A lot of people worship "Dear Leader" JHH.
And if it had GDDR5. With its current DDR3, it doesn't stand a chance.
Not sure why they made such a design decision... at the very least, wouldn't it make more sense to have a reference GDDR5 card to make the card seem more marketable, even if the DDR3 version is the only one you plan on supplying in substantial volume?

Not sure why they made such a design decision... at the very least, wouldn't it make more sense to have a reference GDDR5 card to make the card seem more marketable, even if the DDR3 version is the only one you plan on supplying in substantial volume?

I really don't know. I guess DDR3 saves a few bucks, but in the end the GT 640 is still about $10 more expensive than the HD 7750, and considerably slower.

It does draw a little less power, and I suppose DDR3 helps with that, but the 7750 is a 75W card, which means it doesn't need any extra power connectors, so I'm not sure what difference it makes.

Perhaps they execute active contracts with GDDR3 manufacturers and that's why they are still obliged to use it.

But, hey, guys, GT640 is one of the slowest cards this generation, it's entry, low-end and as being such they don't have many options but to use entry level memory.

Plus, I'm not sure how that weak chip can benefit from higher bandwidth...
Don't whine about memory, whine about the price. The true price must not be higher than 50-60 of such a sucky card.

GDDR5 card to make the card seem more marketable

Which one would the 'average joe not enlightened' prefer? 512 MB GDDR5 or 2 GB GDDR3? :mrgreen:

Not like, HQV 2.0 score of 178 out of 210 is really underwhelming. Speaking of which... when will they offer a card with 200-210 score? :LOL:

But if you're going to use it for other things...

Surely, Radeon HD7750 is your choice. It destroys it in absolutely everything, just look at compute too. ;)

it may be sucky because of internal competition, they have to sell their Fermi card before 28nm production ramps up.
they have announced a card with four GPUs, that is like four gt640 with 4GB ddr3 each on a single card, for the thin client market : another reason to have that poor gk107 with ddr3 in the arena, for some limited marketing reason, though a not very good one.

on the mac book pro, they do pair gk107 with gddr5. I'm sure desktop cards will follow up, hopefullly 1GB gddr5 models at $110. then to pick up such a card and overclock it a bit is reasonable. it may still lose to AMD by some percentage but who care, you can buy it for the drivers and software support.

Back