NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

I think that makes sense. A top model GTX 660 ti with further disabled GK104 chip is imo what they need to have out there and it should be doable. Otherwise the gap between GTX670 and GK106 would be too large.

I'm absolutely agree, also they could use more gk104 not good to be fitted on gtx680 too

I'm absolutely agree, also they could use more gk104 not good to be fitted on gtx680 too

When i agree, i have some real doubt about seeing nvidia releasing this TI version at 660 launch ( still possible, and maybe the reason of the wait ).

Just looking at 460 and 560 sales numbers last years give a nice hint of how much chips they need. Nvidia complain allready about the price of TSMC wafers and im really not sure there is enough "bad chips " out of the GK104 to push in the 660TI production..
a card who should sales a lot more of the actual 670-680 production.

Imagine price wise, there's a big gap between the rumored 300$ and the 500$ of the 680. If they need to use "good chips" who should goes on the 670-680, this will cost them a lot of money.

So is Nvidia want release a card like the 660TI with 1/3 of the GK104 chip disabled? Marketing wise yes, money wise, im not sure .. but the card can be in limited availability,
there's many luck many consumers will goes for the 660 "nonTI " if they cant find them, review will be better of the 660 non TI. and permit them to get a better thing against the 7870.

There's a reason why the 560 448CC have been released so late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps they execute active contracts with GDDR3 manufacturers and that's why they are still obliged to use it.

But, hey, guys, GT640 is one of the slowest cards this generation, it's entry, low-end and as being such they don't have many options but to use entry level memory.

Plus, I'm not sure how that weak chip can benefit from higher bandwidth...
Don't whine about memory, whine about the price. The true price must not be higher than 50-60 of such a sucky card.

Which one would the 'average joe not enlightened' prefer? 512 MB GDDR5 or 2 GB GDDR3? :mrgreen:

If it was GDDR3, there'd be far less of a problem. This is plain ol' DDR3, not really any different than what you can buy for 40 bucks on newegg or countless other sites!

Yeah except that last gen (and probably gen before that too) Radeons beat it in HQV too, even some of nV's older cards beat it in HQV.

AMD winning a [strike]benchmark[/strike] marketing tool created by a company that sells the same underlying video processor technology created by Tensilica is hardly surprising. It's cheating, d'oh.

Silicon Optix uses Xtensa in their HQV video processor product. ATI/AMD also license the same tech in their UVD.

When i agree, i have some real doubt about seeing nvidia releasing this TI version at 660 launch ( still possible, and maybe the reason of the wait ).

Just looking at 460 and 560 sales numbers last years give a nice hint of how much chips they need. Nvidia complain allready about the price of TSMC wafers and im really not sure there is enough "bad chips " out of the GK104 to push in the 660TI production..
a card who should sales a lot more of the actual 670-680 production.

Imagine price wise, there's a big gap between the rumored 300$ and the 500$ of the 680. If they need to use "good chips" who should goes on the 670-680, this will cost them a lot of money.

So is Nvidia want release a card like the 660TI with 1/3 of the GK104 chip disabled? Marketing wise yes, money wise, im not sure .. but the card can be in limited availability,
there's many luck many consumers will goes for the 660 "nonTI " if they cant find them, review will be better of the 660 non TI. and permit them to get a better thing against the 7870.

There's a reason why the 560 448CC have been released so late.

this point of view is very reasonable (especially the part in bold, imho) but we must consider that between the gtx 660 with gk106 and gtx 670 would (according to rumors) too much distance, both price and performance, and not forgetting the 7870.

If gk106 isn't competitive with both 7850 and 7870, nvidia must have a solution like gk104 with 1152 cc by me, because that market's segment is very important...

Silicon Optix uses Xtensa in their HQV video processor product. ATI/AMD also license the same tech in their UVD.

HQV is a post processing test; post processing is not done by UVD, as UVD is purely a decode engine. Irrespective, it is a useful test for video quality, hence its popularity in use.

Nice non news "article"... Also GK104 400 is the GTX 680 chip.

I think that makes sense. A top model GTX 660 ti with further disabled GK104 chip is imo what they need to have out there and it should be doable. Otherwise the gap between GTX670 and GK106 would be too large.

Is this how fast you change your opinion? ;)

HQV is a post processing test; post processing is not done by UVD, as UVD is purely a decode engine. Irrespective, it is a useful test for video quality, hence its popularity in use.

We don't have to fall in that trap. They are simply jealous that AMD/ATi always beats them in image quality. And instead of whining about cheating, they should work harder to deliver what people expect from them. ;)

Is this how fast you change your opinion? ;)

No just you being confused. GK104 with the 400 moniker is the chip used in GTX 680. GTX 670 uses a chip labeled GK104-335. If there is a further disabled GK104 based 660 card coming, it'll use another moniker. edit: Actually GTX 670 core is labeled GK104 325, not 335.

"Nice non news "article"..." was just a response to the quality of that article. Everybody knows a GTX 660 is coming soon. They got the chip moniker wrong and didn't have any valid specs to say.

We won’t get into specs just yet, as we simply don’t know them

Like you said, Nvidia thinks they can get away with it. And they do. A lot of people worship "Dear Leader" JHH.
Totally innocent question of the day: what % of the GPU buying population, do you think, knows:
a) what JHH stands for
b) the name of the CEO of Nvidia

Yeah except that last gen (and probably gen before that too) Radeons beat it in HQV too, even some of nV's older cards beat it in HQV.
Well, I was unable to find info about the 7750, but the 640 does do far better than previous-generation nVidia hardware at certain high-def video decoding jobs, such as madVR. Basically, the previous gen would tend to have lots of dropped frames in certain situations, while the 640 does not. I believe this is why the AnandTech review was so glowing with regard to the 640's HTPC capabilities.

That said, this card isn't for me, and probably isn't for most people here.

The general population in the market for a cheap video card are generally influenced by two things: who their geek/gaming buddies say is best (who has the halo/favourable product at the time) and whatever specs they can grasp in a general comparison. In this case, unfortunately the GT640 would be more desirable than a 7750 because of the massive praise the 680/70 is getting, and having more VRAM seems to be a big selling point with low end cards.

If it was GDDR3, there'd be far less of a problem. This is plain ol' DDR3, not really any different than what you can buy for 40 bucks on newegg or countless other sites!
As far as I can tell gddr3 has pretty much zero advantage over ddr3 in graphic cards. The only reason it was used back then is because ddr3 didn't actually exist at that time (or later at least not with the same frequency). But gddr3 never really made it to much above 1Ghz so today's ddr3 is quite comparable (though I don't think I've ever seen ddr3 clocked at over 900Mhz on a graphic card - they go for the really cheap stuff...).

If gk106 isn't competitive with both 7850 and 7870, nvidia must have a solution like gk104 with 1152 cc by me, because that market's segment is very important...
I still think though gk106 could end up competitive with HD7850 - much the same like gk107 is probably competitive with HD7750 when equipped with the memory it was meant to use (personally I think they went with ddr3 not for power or cost reasons but because of the 2GB sticker but that's just me...).

cut

I still think though gk106 could end up competitive with HD7850 - much the same like gk107 is probably competitive with HD7750 when equipped with the memory it was meant to use (personally I think they went with ddr3 not for power or cost reasons but because of the 2GB sticker but that's just me...).

yes...in fact the "problem" could be 7870 imho, if as expected gk106 is competitive only with 7850, remain an important hole in the nvidia's gamma comparate to Amd's one (and imagine if Amd can/decide to cut street price of 7870)

Linking to articles from people known for their hatred/to hold a grudge against a given company is not welcome here.

yes...in fact the "problem" could be 7870 imho, if as expected gk106 is competitive only with 7850, remain an important hole in the nvidia's gamma comparate to Amd's one (and imagine if Amd can/decide to cut street price of 7870)

But is really the GK106 is not competitive with the 7870 ? the 7870 is out since a while now, and i cant imagine Nvidia is not able to play on the turbo mode for release a card just at same level and faster in some case.

Ofc, AMD can use the same system used on the 7970GHZ with the PT Turbo + DTE on a 7870v2. And the rumors of a 7930 is still there ( even if i will be really surprised to see this card now, when the HD8000 series should come for the end of 2012 -Q1 2013. ) The 7930 will have a short life and his performance level will push the card in a bad position in the HD8000 series.

Totally innocent question of the day: what % of the GPU buying population, do you think, knows:
a) what JHH stands for
b) the name of the CEO of Nvidia
0.0005% and 0.001%, respectively.

That comment was a hyperbole. Nvidia does have stronger brand recognition however, which was my point.

Back