NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

But of course an conspiracy theory involving NV paying millions of $ (that they get from selling their Kepler cards) to Valve just to hide the fact that they are really not selling well

Well, I see your logic but in this case the spent money might be considered as pure PR, or a pure advertisement. Who wants to be seen in people's eyes in poor light or bad reputation?

Well, I see your logic but in this case the spent money might be considered as pure PR, or a pure advertisement. Who wants to be seen in people's eyes in poor light or bad reputation?

What spent money? You mean the spent money you just made up in your head based on a random one-liner on a internet forum? Lol...man we've hit rock bottom.

Though it is strange that no 650m's or 670's show up in the survey. Will see next month.

But of course an conspiracy theory involving NV paying millions of $ (that they get from selling their Kepler cards) to Valve just to hide the fact that they are really not selling well (so that they really don't have millions of $ to pay Valve in the first place) is much more likely. All we need now are some "sources" claiming that they seen their graphics card become a GeForce GTX 680 instead of GeForce 6100 for a second or two while steam survey decided to run and we have a semi accurate front page news!

Oh God NO we may yet see an article just as you described by charlie and his followers (sheep) like Universal-AMD-Troll will swallow it whole and regurgitate it over and over again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you wondered why for example there is a 7970 and 7950 on the list but on the other hand there is just "7800 Series"?
Valve will detect both the device_id and driver string. By default the numbers appear to report by the driver string, but because we report series sometimes they will translate the device_id's to individual product names. They look to have already done that for Tahiti and not Pitcairn - it is not necessarily consistent though as, for instance, the GeForce GTX 560 listing is collating for about 4 different variants of product configuration (560 base, 560 Ti, 560 448, 560 OEM).

And?

I wonder why they have omitted the numbers of the GTX580 from the graphs. Was probably too close to the GTX670/680 scores. :rolleyes:
I believe this is because the cards in that graph are currently their flagship parts for those market segments.

I believe this is because the cards in that graph are currently their flagship parts for those market segments.

Yes that seems to be correct.

GTX690 $999.99
GTX680 $499.99
GTX670 $399.99
GTX570 $249.99
GTX560ti $179.99 w/rebate
GTX550ti $93.99 w/rebate
GTX460 $114.99 w/rebate

It appears that the GTX460 may be at end-of-life as its price is higher (and rising) compared to the GTX550ti.

As for the GTX580 the prices are $380, $430, $600, $630 and $640. So it appears that the GTX580 is also end-of-lifed.

All prices above are from Newegg.com

It appears that the GTX460 may be at end-of-life as its price is higher (and rising) compared to the GTX550ti.
It is also a significantly faster card, so that is to be selected.
The only reason the 550ti scored equally in some of those benchmarks is that the benchmark was automatically scaling its physics workload based on the number of cuda cores available.

And?

I wonder why they have omitted the numbers of the GTX580 from the graphs. Was probably too close to the GTX670/680 scores. :rolleyes:

Why would you assume that? This isn't a compute benchmark, it's a gaming and physX benchmark and in gaming and physX, the 680 and 670 walk straight over the 580 with ease.

Not that shocking, you can cool anything "passively", but put that in a case with no properly set up case fans for good ventilation, and you'll end up with fried card instead.

Well it shows two things to me:

1) We need to improve our case orientation or at least develop things that can contain the power envelope of our GPUs.

2) We also have to figure out a way to not have the PCI-E slots snap off due to the weight of such ridiculous devices.

That is quite cool admittedly and if it's priced right, it technically is worth the expensive purely because you get that much heatsink space.

Not that shocking, you can cool anything "passively", but put that in a case with no properly set up case fans for good ventilation, and you'll end up with fried card instead.

I still find it weird that they design motherboards with the graphic card turned upside down.

It might just be because I am used to looking inside Mac Pro's.

I still find it weird that they design motherboards with the graphic card turned upside down.

It might just be because I am used to looking inside Mac Pro's.

Intel tried to push BTX when their Prescotts were just too damn hot chip, it had CPU facing upwards.

Then there's some ATX cases out there where you just install the mobo "upside down", and have the GPU facing upwards.

Or you have clever cases like the Silverstone Raven Series, where the board is rotaded 90 degress, with the exhausts of the cards facing upwards perfectly utilizing natural convection.

Back