Kinect Games

Another dance game releasing November 10...

Dance Paradise from Mindscape, published by Universal.

Tracks:
  • Akon - Bellydancer
  • Caesars – Jerk It Out
  • Cassius – Toop Toop
  • Daft Punk – Around the World
  • David Guetta ft Kelly Rowland - When Love Takes Over
  • Geri Halliwell – It's Raining Men
  • Gwen Stefani – What You Are Waiting For
  • Kool & the Gang – Celebration
  • Lady Gaga – Bad Romance
  • Laroux – Bulletproof
  • Lily Allen – F*** You
  • MC Hammer – Can't Touch This
  • Mika – We are Golden
  • No Doubt – Hey Baby
  • Pussycat Dolls – When I Grow Up
  • Snoop Dogg ft Pharrell – Beautiful
  • Sophie Ellis Bextor – Murder on the Dancefloor
  • Supergrass - Alright
  • Taio Cruz – Break Your Heart
  • Yelle - À Cause Des Garçon

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-22-another-dance-game-heading-to-kinect

Tommy McClain

NIVEA, the body-care product company, is partnering with Ubisoft for Your Shape: Fitness Evolved to bring 3 special workouts(1 at launch and 2 for download later). Evidently NIVEA has a fitness expert named Sarah Maxwell who is collaborating on the workouts.

Source: Press Release

Tommy McClain

Very impressive ! If you look at 0.55 for the table tennis trailer, you'll see the lag. The game developers hide the latency very well. This looks like WiiSports (Resort) level interactivity, which is good enough for most people.

What's more comforting is they continue to build credibility with known brands, and continue to expand the variety. Plus MS will integrate the experience into the OS and online services. People will be happy with the dollars spent !

It will be interesting to see how far they go to hiding the lag. For Joy Ride, they actually have steering assist to hide the lag, just guessing when you want to start steering for you, which gives a good impression of not having lag. But if you want to go straight instead of take the turn, you'll have to fully countersteer at around the time the auto-pilot kicks in.

Well, the game can also predict/project you movement. Should work for most cases unless the user break off suddenly. I believe network games use similar techniques to hide network lag.

If MS is more particular with the Kinect brand, they will also make sure each launch title is high quality and hides lag well. They can do that by focusing on a handful of launch titles like what DonaldDuck alluded to in the other thread. Sony tends to take a much more hands off, floodgate approach, and hence the quality will vary. It would also be harder for the Move advantages to shine through especially if Sony themselves don't try (to craft a unique experience). ^_^.

That table tennis does look quite good but there's several places (in such a short clip) where the guys playing totally miss the ball (maybe due to lag which is quite evident)...and how much of the 'control' is 'smoke and mirrors'?

Looks promising tho - fingers crossed for more like this that looks substantially better than eyetoy games.

Why would they use 'smoke and mirrors' ?

The differences will only be apparent to someone who's played all 3 versions of Table Tennis (WiiSports Resort, Sports Champions and this version). I know when I play SC, I'd be flying in midair, smashing and driving the ball aggressively. Slicing the ball is harder because I can't deal with the return yet (The AI is better than me in slicing). My wife would usually comment on my messy footwork.

In WiiSports Resort, I can play calmly with quick wrist and arm movement, or move around if I want to. This looks like somewhere in between, not sure about the subtle wrist movement. :)

Another dance game releasing November 10...

Dance Paradise from Mindscape, published by Universal.

Tracks:
  • MC Hammer – Can't Touch This
Tommy McClain
Oh yeah... I wonder if it'll track hammerpants.... :)
Why would they use 'smoke and mirrors' ?

The differences will only be apparent to someone who's played all 3 versions of Table Tennis (WiiSports Resort, Sports Champions and this version). I know when I play SC, I'd be flying in midair, smashing and driving the ball aggressively. Slicing the ball is harder because I can't deal with the return yet (The AI is better than me in slicing). My wife would usually comment on my messy footwork.

In WiiSports Resort, I can play calmly with quick wrist and arm movement, or move around if I want to. This looks like somewhere in between, not sure about the subtle wrist movement. :)
I've played all three. The Move version is too finicky, and it keeps losing the move controller and making me miss shots. Every time the tracking behaves in a way I don't expect, it completely breaks the otherwise excellent simulation and gives me the "uncanny valley" feeling. The Wii version doesn't require you to move around at all, and as you can see in the video, the Kinect one rewards exaggerated motions, making it more of a workout. All three are fun in different ways.

Very impressive ! If you look at 0.55 for the table tennis trailer, you'll see the lag. The game developers hide the latency very well. This looks like WiiSports (Resort) level interactivity, which is good enough for most people.

What's more comforting is they continue to build credibility with known brands, and continue to expand the variety. Plus MS will integrate the experience into the OS and online services. People will be happy with the dollars spent !

On a second looki there is still indeed some lag, but I think it is small enough for many users (although I doubt it is for the majority) and in this kind of games.

But it seems enough for some fun IMO.

I would love to see this in Linux/Windows desktops...

As long as the game hides the lag well, I don't think it's an issue. The game will be designed to accommodate the hardware and maximize its strength anyway.

On a second looki there is still indeed some lag, but I think it is small enough for many users (although I doubt it is for the majority) and in this kind of games.

But it seems enough for some fun IMO.

I would love to see this in Linux/Windows desktops...
The lag is only apparent to people watching, when you're playing, you very quickly don't notice it. I suspect it will be fine for the majority. There might be a few folks who find 60fps driving games too laggy and will complain about the kinect, but they are not really the target audience for this.

The lag is only apparent to people watching, when you're playing, you very quickly don't notice it. I suspect it will be fine for the majority. There might be a few folks who find 60fps driving games too laggy and will complain about the kinect, but they are not really the target audience for this.

How old was the Macy's build if you can say? For some things we played we would notice it even if just sub-consciously but our brains would quickly account for it...the fun outweighed anything else. Sure would be nice if some projector based setup pics were [strike]leaked[/strike] released.

How old was the Macy's build if you can say? For some things we played we would notice it even if just sub-consciously but our brains would quickly account for it...the fun outweighed anything else. Sure would be nice if some projector based setup pics were [strike]leaked[/strike] released.
I have no idea, and probably couldn't say even if I did.

I'll be interested to see projector setups too. I'm guessing placing the sensor close to the ground would be the best bet there, but it all depends on the playspace dimensions. This kind of system does not seem ideally suited to a projector based setup to start with unless your projector is ceiling mounted high enough to not be occluded by people jumping around.

That is only dependent to the kind of gameplay.

In those game where you have lots of time to think in what to do, where to stay, even in the movement itself, lag can be hidden. More than that the player itself will adapt to it, maybe even be glad of it.

But in a game that need any kind of fast thinking/response, or that is more complex and you cant think in one thing/movement only then the lag will be quite noticeable.

In music played via a PC (a guitar or midi kb) 30 milliseconds of latency is too much, probably in faster game will be too, there we see much more. It will really depend on the game.

But personally I dont expect any kind of fast paced game (maybe a slower RTS like?...)

Back