Official E3 Sony Conference Thread 2010

I got 6 Live Arcade games free: Hexic, Aegis Wing, Undertow, Totem Ball, Yaris & Doritos Dash of Destruction. Plus lots of dashboard themes, gamerpics, demos & TV shows.

6 games? And I have 3 of those from the from the first year of having an X360 (some of the games I'm still waiting to get back BTW). You can forget all the other stuff as PS3 owners already get all that for free.

i wanted to see something from Studio Liverpool, but nothing... Either a full blown Wipeout title or something with a 1% chance of seein the light of day, Colony Wars sequel.

Does anyone knows are they doing something or the good portion of the team is canned since that "restructuring" at the end of January?

i wanted to see something from Studio Liverpool, but nothing... Either a full blown Wipeout title or something with a 1% chance of seein the light of day, Colony Wars sequel.

Does anyone knows are they doing something or the good portion of the team is canned since that "restructuring" at the end of January?

I loved Colony Wars back then!!
This is really a genre that is underrepresentated!! Remember the good old days of space exploration a la Privateer!!

That is why I had so much hope in this rumored Starhawk!!!

booo!

I must confess that it is the first time in my life I do say this but

Playstation is loocking really good... and it is not a gfx comment, from Move to games, free basic network...

The only thing that could be better is a nicer price/bundle scheme for Move.

I loved Colony Wars back then!!
This is really a genre that is underrepresentated!! Remember the good old days of space exploration a la Privateer!!

That is why I had so much hope in this rumored Starhawk!!!

booo!

It's probably because the costs to develop such game with today's production values would be > revenue earned in return. Those kind of games are really a niche, always have been.

They are possible only in some utopian universe, where people would be more interested in these kind of "abstract" game types than in war and crime ones. It's the consumers fault, i.e., the vast majority of them, who can't appreciate those kind of things. It's too complex for them. If we go any futher, we'll have to go into mass psychology, so I'll stop here. Just like things like Qatsi trilogy and Baraka are more "diificult" to grasp for the masses than pop poop like Avatar.

A lack of enthusiasm from US marketing also didn’t help the game, but their assertion that future racers didn’t sell any more wasn't without substance. “The mass market audience does not appear to understand or connect in any way with a futuristic world of racing. It’s abstract and requires a greater leap of imagination than the majority of people are willing to give,” says Burcombe.

http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/the-making-of-wipeout?page=0,1

Heard though that if you have to get a Move setup for 2 or more players, it becomes expensive while Kinect will track multiple players with just one setup?

Heard though that if you have to get a Move setup for 2 or more players, it becomes expensive while Kinect will track multiple players with just one setup?

Depends on the game you want to play. As an absolute figure (MSRP total), yes. Wiimote and Move for 2-4 players may be more expensive if fully loaded. That didn't stop millions of people going for Wii though. The magic is in the software.

Heroes on the Move is apparently a full fledged platformer! It brings the heroes and sidekicks from all three big platforming franchises together, and you'll control all the weapons with the move. So you'll use the Move to throw stuff, swing weapons, etc., not unlike the Motion+ support in Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Which, to me, seems VERY good news. :)

You get access to lots of content, some free & some paid(that are discounted). You keep the paid stuff no matter what, but the free stuff is disabled or gone when you quit paying for your subscription? Good & bad. On Xbox Live if you get something for free, it's free forever.
You ve got to define the free stuff you get on PSN vs the free stuff you get in Live. I dont think Live offers you stuff for free such as games

It's probably because the costs to develop such game with today's production values would be > revenue earned in return. Those kind of games are really a niche, always have been.

That's where XBLA and PSN come in. A forum for developers to profit from non-AAA big budget games. You cut out packaging, distribution, and need for the AAA graphics (to woo print media and screen shot whores :p). Lowered costs means getting those titles down to where people don't mind spending cash even if it doesn't look like UC2 or doesn't have 20 hours of gameplay.

Does Sony promote it as much as MS? I know MS does it's summer of arcade thingy and other promotions. I think they could probably do even more with it, however. I'd imagine Sony must be doing similar things with games on PSN.

Regards,
SB

There were a few free games offered, though. Stuff like those Burger King/Toyota games, were those open to everyone?

Burger King games were not free. You had to pay $4 with a combo meal to get them and they were never released digitally. BTW, I mentioned what games MS offered for free earlier.

AzBat said:
I got 6 Live Arcade games free: Hexic, Aegis Wing, Undertow, Totem Ball, Yaris & Doritos Dash of Destruction.

I also found Texas Hold 'em & Carcassonne were offered for free once. You could also say Hasbro Family Game Night & Game Room are technically free, but you still have to buy game add-ons. At least with Game Room you can get some achievements without buying any add-ons. More free DLC listed here and here.

Tommy McClain

Steam could possibly turn out to be a key advantage on PSN. Especially since it's unlikely to come to Xbox Live as MS is trying to develope a competitor to it.

It'll be interesting just how much of Steam Sony will allow as I'm sure they wouldn't want to allow sales over Steam as they would cut into a possible revenue stream.

Regards,
SB

You can get Texas Hold'em and assorted mini-games for free in PS Home (even today).

Occasionally, PSN and Home have free TV episodes and anime.

There are also freebies like free themes, virtual items on PSN, but I never bothered to try them.

I don't think any of these will make a big differences on PSN or XBLA.

Steam could possibly turn out to be a key advantage on PSN. Especially since it's unlikely to come to Xbox Live as MS is trying to develope a competitor to it.

It'll be interesting just how much of Steam Sony will allow as I'm sure they wouldn't want to allow sales over Steam as they would cut into a possible revenue stream.

I don't think Sony care since they don't charge for online gaming.

FWIW, they allow NetFlix and other video streaming services to operate on PSN together with their own video stores.

You can get Texas Hold'em and assorted mini-games for free in PS Home (even today).

Occasionally, PSN and Home have free TV episodes.

There are also freebies like free themes, virtual items on PSN, but I never bothered to try them.

I don't think any of these will make a big differences on PSN or XBLA.

Sounds like they're both on equal footing regarding free content. The question then stems from what happens when you get free content on PSN+ and then quit paying the monthly service fee. That's where this all started to begin with.

Tommy McClain

Sounds like they're both on equal footing regarding free content. The question then stems from what happens when you get free content on PSN+ and then quit paying the monthly service fee. That's where this all started to begin with.

For PSN+ specific content, it's probably safer to assume they will generally disappear with the end of subscription unless stated otherwise (or unless you buy 'em).

OTOH, it is not inconceivable to have free (really free) items for PSN+ members only. It's cheaper than giving the entire PSN population free goods. :)

Back