Official E3 Sony Conference Thread 2010

25275.jpg

Thats funny indeed. I saw the three images and thought "why 3 games when all are taken from Killzone 3?"

Then I noticed they are indeed three separate games.

I think Killzone 2 has sent a benchmark and they are trying to mimic its visual style and some of its art

But still its kind of sad to see so much lack of originality

I think Killzone 2 has sent a benchmark and they are trying to mimic its visual style and some of its art
They're all going after 'realistic' and there's only so much art you can do with concrete. Shooters in the same vein will inevitably look the same, just as PES and FIFA look similar. For variety you need to go fantastic.

Hahaha, i recognised KZ2 but then wondered why the bottom two images were taken of the same game... realised when i read below what they were... lol.

As much as there are lots of FPS this gen though, there's always been lots of them. It's just that this gen there are more on consoles rather than PC which has been the platform of choice for the genre historically.

On the other hand there are also lots of other creative games available for all three platforms this generation, and if anything, what gets me excited the most about motion control and games like Sony's "sorcery" is that there's a possibility for an effective "gaming renaissance" to occur once the shooter genre has been milked dry and the consumers get hungry for new and innovative experiences :)

As much as there are lots of FPS this gen though, there's always been lots of them. It's just that this gen there are more on consoles rather than PC which has been the platform of choice for the genre historically.

On the other hand there are also lots of other creative games available for all three platforms this generation, and if anything, what gets me excited the most about motion control and games like Sony's "sorcery" is that there's a possibility for an effective "gaming renaissance" to occur once the shooter genre has been milked dry and the consumers get hungry for new and innovative experiences :)

This gen has to be seen as one of the least innovative in history. Not only the dominance of the FPS but the gimmicky Wii casual games lacking in any depth.

And now, they're trying to extend it (delaying the next-gen) with more gimmicky motion controllers.

Somebody stake the beast already!

I'm sad that Dead Space 2 doesn't have move support, I'm really hoping it gets that.
from the official press release
ea said:
The Dead Space 2 Limited Edition will include Dead Space Extraction in full HD for the first time ever. Dead Space Extraction on PlayStation 3 will offer the entire single-player game complete with all-new trophy support, as well as co-op gameplay, using the new PlayStation Move motion controller, in addition to the standard DUALSHOCK(R)3 and SIXAXIS(TM) controllers.
link

I beg to defer.

Wii (and WiiFit) itself is a huge innovation for the entire industry.

For games, just from what I've seen alone, I have seen very creative work like Demon's Souls, Eye of Judgment, EyePet's sketch recognition and sing-along, Valkyria Chronicles, LittleBigPlanet, etc.

For technical stuff, both MLAA and KZ2's SPU post processing are memorable.

I am sure if we search deeper, we will find tons of innovation (e.g., Scribblenaut ?)

EDIT: Oh noes, I forgot Flower, Shooter, and other PSN games.

Don't know what you want to tell us with this?

What's the problem? I did not play Medal of Honor, but I know that KZ and MW are like night and day...everyone who plays those games know that you cannot compare them!!

If you are pointing towards the same weapon style...well it is what it is, a rifle with a scope...all of this games try to mimic realistic weapon styles...its like moaning all humans in video games having the same two feet and two hands style!

The same goes for the blood type damage indicator, which was if I remember correctly indtroduced in the Gears games...so ideas which worked in certain games are copied...nothing invalid!

In fact, I think that this pic show us how much variety and creativity we have in gaming industry nowadays...typically you think that one genre is pushed to the limit, especially a well milked genre like FPS, but devs still manage to make unique and exciting FPS games nowadays!!!

So, if this was what you wanted to tell us with the pic - I agree!

This gen has to be seen as one of the least innovative in history. Not only the dominance of the FPS but the gimmicky Wii casual games lacking in any depth.

And now, they're trying to extend it (delaying the next-gen) with more gimmicky motion controllers.

Somebody stake the beast already!

I disagree, strongly. Online interconnectivity, device interconnectivity, and the advent of WiiWare, XBLA, and PSN have all brought a lot of innovation to us. We've seen a considerable amount of Indie games on consoles thanks to these services.

I mean, what exactly about the last generation was 'more innovative'? I understand it's easy to just throw the word out there as a scape goat, but I don't really think it's true.

Also, you should play more Wii games ;)

COD MW1 had just the same kind of blood effect and iron sight in 2007, as far as I recall...

Yeah, if they want polish, then it's either a bigger team or longer time.

Regarding cross game chat, we have more news now:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/15/cross-game-party-chat-coming-to-ps3-with-strings-attached/

I think friends may pool their $$$ together to subscribe to one PSN+ account.

EDIT:
According to here: http://www.psu.com/news/9241

Looks like they are sorting out the policies.

Didn't watch the Sony briefing but I think I caught up with the stuff I was interested in seeing: stuff that could force Microsoft to counter with something better like PSN+, SKUs & Move pricing.

First PSN+:

You get access to lots of content, some free & some paid(that are discounted). You keep the paid stuff no matter what, but the free stuff is disabled or gone when you quit paying for your subscription? Good & bad. On Xbox Live if you get something for free, it's free forever.

PSN+ finally gets Cross Game Chat, but it's not really for the free users? What? I can kinda see how they're doing this. On Xbox Live you get free cross game chat for both Gold & Silver users, but Silver users don't have access to Party Chat(up to 8 people) since that's a Gold feature. Sony is just making Cross Game Chat one big feature like Party Chat for all users, but somebody has to be paying for PSN+ in order to use it. Bleh. Pretty much requires all PSN users to pay.

There will be no PSN+ cards to be sold at retail, only through the PS Store. You know why? Beacuse of this...

**PlayStation®plus is only available to PlayStation®Network users 18 years of age or older.

If you're under 18 you can't get PSN+ because you don't have a credit card. This means you'll only hear minors on cross game chat if they're chating with their adult paying friends.

Looks like Sony is trying their hardest to keep PSN for the adult crowd. Some gotchas that a lot of the current users may not care about, but then again new users may think twice. I don't think there is anything there Microsoft will have to counter with, which is sad since I was hoping for some healthy competition.

PS Move:

Suprised by the pricing. Definitely below what I was expecting($55-$60 per Move controller). The Move bundle at $100 basically makes the camera $10($50 for controller & $40 for the game). Pretty good deal. Puts pressure on Microsoft to price Kinect properly. Hopefully it's closer to $100 than $150. I also like the $40 price for 1st-party Move games too. Makes me hopeful that Microsoft will price their own Kinect games similar.

SKUs:

No new systems or pricing other than the Move bundle? Lost oppurtunity there, but not exactly surprising either.

Tommy McClain

The picture is a joke.

I thought so too, but some lamented that the industry is not innovating. ^_^

The latest update is Cross Game Chat plan has not been finalized. It may or may not be associated with PSN+
We should know by June 22.

I suspect new system bundle, if any, will be discussed closer to fall. We know there is a new SKU but Sony's keeping mumps.

I'd say it's a pretty good representation of the industry mindlessly following popular trends. All that CoD influence rearing it's ugly head where it isn't wanted, not by me at least. But then again, this is what's wanted by beancounters and gamers alike. The MAG forums has requests for things from of CoD everyday. And if it wasn't for other half of the community having a healthy hatred for all things CoD, we'd probably get them. But of course the CoD influence is still there. MAG has it's own game unbalancing equipment unlock system.

I don't think Zipper would go the way of CoD. The community has an impact, sure, but the developer also has a vision ;)

I'm surprised that Move will have as many titles at launch, and so soon. September isn't that far at all, and should give them plenty of time to possibly build some holiday buzz.

On Xbox Live if you get something for free, it's free forever.

I'm curious, from the PoV of someone who is still awaiting to get access to the games he purchased off XBL several years ago due to DRM restrictions, when did MS give something away for free?

Other than that - does anyone know if other accounts are restricted with the free content (i.e. can my kids play the free games and not screw up my profile).

I'm curious, from the PoV of someone who is still awaiting to get access to the games he purchased off XBL several years ago due to DRM restrictions, when did MS give something away for free?

I got 6 Live Arcade games free: Hexic, Aegis Wing, Undertow, Totem Ball, Yaris & Doritos Dash of Destruction. Plus lots of dashboard themes, gamerpics, demos & TV shows.

Tommy McClain

Ha ha, yeah, different concept.

You will still get and keep free stuff on PSN+ and PSN (e.g., EyeCreate; freebies for preorders and Qore subscription; free TV episodes, blah).

You subscribe to select software in PSN+. You have exclusive content in PSN+, plus other member services (special discounts, etc.).

You continue to play online games for free on PSN (That's another free stuff on PSN that you "keep" since the beginning).

Cross game chat is up in the air.

I don't think Zipper would go the way of CoD. The community has an impact, sure, but the developer also has a vision ;)

I'm surprised that Move will have as many titles at launch, and so soon. September isn't that far at all, and should give them plenty of time to possibly build some holiday buzz.

Hehe... devs and their crazy visions. :smile: Zipper seems to be rather eager to please though.

I'm surprised they didn't show off more Move games, instead of focusing mostly on 2 of them. I'm still not convinced about it's benefits for shooters.

Back