NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

Just try to imagine how much would cost a real playable game with such level of detail. You would need to pay an army of people :rolleyes:.
I think thats the main reason for slowing down the progress. (at least for real usage in games not graphic presentations or demos)

Content creation is already very expensive. They spend time and money making complex polygons models, motion and 3D capturing, taking photos for textures, etc... And then for games they have to scale all that down.

Lightstage seemed to be all about not having to scale down - being able to be photorealistic and being able to deal with all that level of detail.

GTX580_HDO_Offer.jpg

that's the same add as was on Fudzilla this morning, only now the "save 20% VAT" is missing?

yoyo_wm_1.png

P.S. .. the 30% faster is only in Vantage X

Why do people expect it to be a paper launch? or in very limited quantities? If it's basically a fully enabled Fermi with slightly higher clocks, you'd think it shouldn't be that hard to manufacture. It's not like 480 was hard to find after the rough start.

30% higher in X present puts it at HD5970 level.
It hardly matters if 580 reaches 5970 in 3DMark or any other synthetic benchmark, in games so far rumors show 15-20% over 480, thus a level bellow 5970. Latter will be EOLed in a few months anyway, so the real question is how 580 fares compared to Caymans and 6990 :smile:

Why do people expect it to be a paper launch? or in very limited quantities?
Because some people know the numbers NV is promising and the actual allocation and/or production dates etc?

If it's basically a fully enabled Fermi with slightly higher clocks, you'd think it shouldn't be that hard to manufacture. It's not like 480 was hard to find after the rough start.
It took 1,5 month for that thing to become available.. and that revision had taped out in December already. That and a health Supply > Demand situation ascertains availability.

It hardly matters if 580 reaches 5970 in 3DMark or any other synthetic benchmark, in games so far rumors show 15-20% over 480, thus a level bellow 5970. Latter will be EOLed in a few months anyway, so the real question is how 580 fares compared to Caymans and 6990 :smile:

Ok fair enough, the 69xx have fewer shader units over all to the hd 58xx. I don't think going from 5d to 4d is going to bring a magical increase in performance on per ALU level. Unless there are obvious bottlenecks in the 58xx architecture at the ALU level, I think frequency is going to be what gives Cayman's its performance increase. IMO over all the Cayman chips will be designed for better tesselation performance over the 5xxx chips. I expect the 6970 to bring performance of a bit over the 480 gtx. Possible sometimes reaching gtx 580 in some apps (few and far between) but thats it.

How much supply do you really need for a $500 card that consumers will be prudent on initially before Cayman drops?

Yes, it's rhetorical... :p

I thought EVGA usually had lifetime warranty, or at least 3 years. Maybe I'm mistaking them for some other mfg.

Back