NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

Gotta get them to AIB's then there's branding, maybe some sort of testing, packaging and then it has to make it out to retailers. Doesn't look to me like there'll be any retail stock on the 26th.

I'm thinking that Nvidia is fabricating all the first run of cards, including testing and standard heatsinks. The AIBs will just slap a sticker over the heatsink cowl, and put them into boxes. Do that a few hundred times a day for a few days, and that's every AIB's allocation sorted.

As for travelling, AMD AIB were shipping cards around the world by plane to get stock out there, which is 24-48 hours in the air. Sometimes it took longer to get stock through customs than it spent in the air, so I would expect Nvidia to be able to shift what little stock they have around the place very quickly too.

more... the Pixel Shader test shows 630fps, that's somewhere in between a 8800GTX and a HD4890.

It's nothing without the room temperature as well.
CPU and chipset temps show something like ~20 degrees. though system temp is 51 degrees. that means a lot of internal heat.

Wasn't that guy that said he worked for NVIDIA (but wasn't working for them anymore), the one that also said that load temps for the high-end version of Fermi based GeForce were very low ?

Also, 34 Degrees @ almost 80% fan cycle is very good. Of course we don't know in which exact conditions were these tests performed (if it was done with an open case...etc). All I know is that even on open case scenarios (with an ambient temp of around 23-25º C), not even at full speed does a stock fan put a chip at such low temp.

lowering fan speed to 30% should not raise temp by more than 15 degrees.
It's no where near that simple, it depends on the fan/cooler/card. It could very easily raise it by more than 20 degrees, but it also could not.

We won't know until we get some more info.

Also, 34 Degrees @ almost 80% fan cycle is very good.
What? I can't hear you over the sound of the fan!

:p

Seriously, at around 60% most get noticeable and by 80% they're downright annoying.

Its a good score. HD5870 @ 1GHz gets around 25k in 06.
It's probably a fake, though.

Even with 3DMark06 favoring nVidia GPUs on the first 2 tests I don't see how they could be that high... in 1920x1200.

I doubt it's as fast as a 5870 while rendering 75% more pixels.

Wasn't that guy that said he worked for NVIDIA (but wasn't working for them anymore), the one that also said that load temps for the high-end version of Fermi based GeForce were very low ?

You mean that guy that was wrong about everything else? we've been down this road.

Also, 34 Degrees @ almost 80% fan cycle is very good.
My 5850 idles at 39 degrees at 12~19% fan speed.

Of course we don't know in which exact conditions were these tests performed (if it was done with an open case...etc).
Check the system temps, something is building up heat.

All I know is that even on open case scenarios (with an ambient temp of around 23-25º C), not even at full speed does a stock fan put a chip at such low temp.

It's warm enough for air for sure! I don't think my 860@4Ghz touches 30 on the CPU with a Corsair H50 water kit.

So all in all. another fake that has way too many people exited.

It's probably a fake, though.

Even with 3DMark06 favoring nVidia GPUs on the first 2 tests I don't see how they could be that high... in 1920x1200.

I doubt it's as fast as a 5870 while rendering 75% more pixels.

An HD5870 gets 19-20k at the exact same resolution. So i dont know why it should be impossible, really.

Isn't the fan also twice as powerful (amp draw) and smaller than the 5870 fan? Not sure how it compares to the GTX 28x fans.

I'd hate to try to imagine what 80% fan speeds sounds like on that sucker. Has to be manually set for overclocking or to give the impression to casual observers that temperature isn't that bad. I can't imagine an IHV now days would spec their cards to run the fans that high.

Regards,
SB

I think we should not read too much into the fan speeds. In the GTX285/295 previews, it was clearly mentioned that they could not disclose the power draw, as the drivers hadn't been tuned for fan speeds yet. It is likely that the drivers aren't tuned for this one either. However, RTM drivers should have been finalized by now. May be this dude doesn't have'em.

Of course, as neliz has pointed out, it's likely a fake.

The texture fill-rate result is somewhat within a range, but alpha-blend rate is way off, e.g. very low. At ~625MHz clock rate the ROPs must be throttled at half-time for colour blending (14493 vs. 15000 theoretical)?!

Yeah, right. Try at least to be reasonable. Tell me one high-end card which has a load temp of 39 degrees? :devilish:

We don't know when the screenshot was taken, but why would it be taken much later than right after the end of the 3DMark06 run ?
The card is at idle now, but the temp it reached under load, probably wasn't much higher IF the screenshot was taken right after.

Still, it's probably fake as was already noted.

Back