Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://i.imgur.com/MybmmCm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pzchWhM.jpg

There's more that I didn't circle, but the green is the interlaced artefacting. I also circled in red the parts that look like typical half-res upscale in the first image.

Anyways, toodles.

Alright, those vertical lines. Yep, definitely had seen those before. But the one on the detonator, I had assumed those to be aliasing issues.

So, they are rendering half res horizontally using some temporal(time based) algorithm to fill alternate lines? Is this happening in the GPU itself? This isn't the upscaler at work but the game doing it itself? Will have to read about it.

Edit; Does anyone know why my post history from before april last year is not there? does this have something in common with my post count sometimes not increasing after several posts?

Post history only shows the last 500 posts for everybody.

edit: On some forum subsections like in the "general discussion", posts don't get counted.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the one on the detonator, I had assumed those to be aliasing issues.

Yeah, I'm not too clear if there's another post-process interfering with it there, but it's only on parts of it too, making it stranger. Could be something else. :)

So, they are rendering half res horizontally using some temporal(time based) algorithm to fill alternate lines? Is this happening in the GPU itself?

Seemingly.

This isn't the upscaler at work but the game doing it itself?

Right.

As insignificant as the drop of resolution is in MP since I only care about SP anyway, I'd still say GG is better off sticking to 1080/30 for the MP. KZ2 being 720/30 is arguably one of the best MP game for last gen according to many posters, so it shows 60fps is not really compulsory to have the best enjoyment.

So they basically do a vertical interlacing then...?

Biggest issue I had with KZ2 is the high input latency, drives me nuts.

Post history only shows the last 500 posts for everybody.

edit: On some forum subsections like in the "general discussion", posts don't get counted.
That makes sense, thank you.

I think what's saddest about this is that even after halving the resolution the game does not give a solid 60hz.

KZ2 being 720/30 is arguably one of the best MP game for last gen according to many posters, so it shows 60fps is not really compulsory to have the best enjoyment.

This of course depends on how you design the game. The faster the movement the higher frame rate you need to keep clarity and control.

resolution gate: lie and people forgive, speak the truth and get punished.

And once again the 1080p cheerleaders failed to notice that a game was running (massively) "sub-1080p", needing DF to tell them, all the while crucifying games like Titanfall for their resolution and screaming at DF for saying that quality texture filtering and reduced pop-in can trump resolution.

It happened again. As in, again-again. Again.

And once again the 1080p cheerleaders failed to notice that a game was running (massively) "sub-1080p", needing DF to tell them, all the while crucifying games like Titanfall for their resolution and screaming at DF for saying that quality texture filtering and reduced pop-in can trump resolution.

It happened again. As in, again-again. Again.
This is pretty rubbish comment; People noticed the game looked blurry virtually straight away, but because GG said the game was native 1080p and also said the MP used different AA, people took GG at their word and assumed the blur was caused by the AA.

This is pretty rubbish comment; People noticed the game looked blurry virtually straight away, but because GG said the game was native 1080p and also said the MP used different AA, people took GG at their word and assumed the blur was caused by the AA.

Most people didn't notice shit. And the interlacing doesn't cause 'blur'. And there was no shitstorm whipped up by the people that "thought they noticed something ".

If being told that something is '1080p' is enough to make people happy with what they're looking at then they should probably start to question whether they're jacked up on resolution placebo injections.

Once again there is a lot of retrospective awareness, brought about by being told what people have actually been looking at.

"No no wait ... I thought I noticed that it looked [xxxxx]!!"

God bless DF for turning a spotlight on this. It's so much better that they're doing this now than back when the game launched.

Most people didn't notice shit. And the interlacing doesn't cause 'blur'. And there was no shitstorm whipped up by the people that "thought they noticed something ".

If being told that something is '1080p' is enough to make people happy with what they're looking at then they should probably start to question whether they're jacked up on resolution placebo injections.

Once again there is a lot of retrospective awareness, brought about by being told what people have actually been looking at.

"No no wait ... I thought I noticed that it looked [xxxxx]!!"

God bless DF for turning a spotlight on this. It's so much better that they're doing this now than back when the game launched.

Many people were not happy with the blur in the KZ SF MP. And all people were thinking it is the FXAA... Go on GAF in old MP KZ MP thread or in KZ SF thread...

The problem is the lie of Guerrilla Games...

Native 1080p on a 1080p TV is the best solution on PS4 or Xbox One if it is possible with stable 30 or 60 fps...

Many people were not happy with the blur in the KZ SF MP. And all people were thinking it is the FXAA... Go on GAF in old MP KZ MP thread or in KZ SF thread...
Yup. Not many people can pixel count, but there were certainly quite a few people that noticed that MP was blurrier than SP.

But I'm not going to argue further... I've been down that road. Unless every single '1080p cheerleader' shouts it from the rooftops, apparently they all fail at detecting it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not going to go and look in a MP thread for comments from people who think they've noticed 'something' about the graphics. That's just background noise.

Now that people actually know what they've been looking at for months, a thread just about the resolution (the 'something') has exploded over there and it's filled with a mixture of rage, denial, and a couple of people confusedly trying to take pot shots at DF.

The resolution hasn't changed. It's the reaction that has changed. It's louder and a mob has formed and is growing. All because people have been told what they were looking at.

If people had been furious about the AA, because that's what they mistakenly thought was the issue, and if there had been threads and rage and criticism similar to the shit that gets flung at "sub 1080p" games, then I could have some sympathy for your position. But there wasn't, and so I have none.

The problem is the lie of Guerrilla Games...

And they 'lied' because ...

Native 1080p on a 1080p TV is the best solution on PS4 or Xbox One if it is possible with stable 30 or 60 fps...

... because of people like you. People who want to think they're looking at 1080p, and think they know what's best.

And no, 1080p is not the best possible solution. There is no single best possible solution. The best possible solution will depend on a large number of things that need to be balanced on a per-game basis.

Yup. Not many people can pixel count, but there were certainly quite a few people that noticed that MP was blurrier than SP.

But I'm not going to argue further... I've been down that road. Unless every single '1080p cheerleader' shouts it from the rooftops, apparently they all fail at detecting it.

Every single one of them? Every single one?

How about if a single 1080p cheerleader had realised they were looking at half the fucking resolution?

This is starting to get on my wick. I'm going to take a break, and shout at random people on the street for killing off plasma tvs (and the Dreamcast)..

http://i.imgur.com/MybmmCm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pzchWhM.jpg

There's more that I didn't circle, but the green is the interlaced artefacting. I also circled in red the parts that look like typical half-res upscale in the first image.

Anyways, toodles.

We can also notice some (less than here but still) temporal AA artifacts in the SP mode too.

This whole AA solution: blurring FXAA + nasty artifacts from temporal AA is really a bad solution IMO, most particularly in the MP mode (and it must be GPU expensive too!).

I really hope they won't use it for their next game.

Can we get out if the 1080p war of words and help a fellow poster here?
Question...
So when we talk about KZ's interlaced 960x1080 interlaced res, does that mean somehow that it's interlaced vertically? How is that possible and why not just go with 1080i?
I'm missing something again, surely...

Maybe it's time for console game makers to optimize two presets to choose from for the final game, one being 1080p/30fps and the other whateverp/60fps. This shouldn't be too difficult should it?

Can we get out if the 1080p war of words and help a fellow poster here?
Question...
So when we talk about KZ's interlaced 960x1080 interlaced res, does that mean somehow that it's interlaced vertically? How is that possible and why not just go with 1080i?
I'm missing something again, surely...

Yup it's a horizontal interlace not a vertical one as in 1080i, the NeoGAF thread has a nice illustration on the front page. There were a couple of nice captures that showed the effect in game but I can't find the links within that thread anymore.

This is the most jesuitical abuse of '1080p' I've ever come across, pretty sneaky GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back