Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2013]

Status
Not open for further replies.
And besides that, if you're at all confused which player/controller you are, color coding is a lot easier at seeing which controller matches what side of the screen than four tiny leds that basically represent binary numbers.

Funnily enough, the Xbox One eliminates this issue entirely since controllers and players are managed by Kinect.

The only new feature that I'd even begin to call useful is the trackpad and we'll have to wait and see how useful that is in actual games. I can see it being good to have for some aspects of some games, but other games simply won't have a use for it. Inventory screens have been mentioned by some and I agree, but part of me also wonders how Kinect would cope with such a use case as well.

The health bar idea for the LED sounds terrible (sorry Arwin).

Essentially the most important factor about the controller (by a considerable margin) is how well it feels to use and how accurate it is. Sounds like they're both pretty similar in that respect (which it a net gain for Sony).

Funnily enough, the Xbox One eliminates this issue entirely since controllers and players are managed by Kinect.

Yes, I did say that Kinect can compensate for some of the functions, and this is one of the cases where I think the Kinect solution will be better.

The only new feature that I'd even begin to call useful is the trackpad and we'll have to wait and see how useful that is in actual games. I can see it being good to have for some aspects of some games, but other games simply won't have a use for it. Inventory screens have been mentioned by some and I agree, but part of me also wonders how Kinect would cope with such a use case as well.

The health bar idea for the LED sounds terrible (sorry Arwin).

Essentially the most important factor about the controller (by a considerable margin) is how well it feels to use and how accurate it is. Sounds like they're both pretty similar in that respect (which it a net gain for Sony).

Hard to believe when the analog sticks are symmetrical. That's my fundamental problem with DS and it's still there. DF doesn't seem to acknowledge this as an issue so their analysis means little to me.

And the triggers while better, still seem quite inferior.

Both controllers seem improved though. Hopefully DS4 will be more to my liking in practice than DS3, it certainly sounds better.

I would have figured the controllers, at least Xbox, would have stayed the same. So, pleasant surprise.

I've never understood the complaint against symmetrical thumbsticks in this age of dual-stick shooters. The ideal place for the stick, whether at the bottom and closer together, or further apart where the face buttons normally are, will be the same for both hands!

The ideal place for the stick, whether at the bottom and closer together, or further apart where the face buttons normally are, will be the same for both hands!

No.

Anyone who changed from an original xbox controller to the S controller will tell you different.

Cheers

I've never understood the complaint against symmetrical thumbsticks in this age of dual-stick shooters. The ideal place for the stick, whether at the bottom and closer together, or further apart where the face buttons normally are, will be the same for both hands!

For me, the biggest thing to get used to / annoyance is the ds sticks are just too high (the rotational pivot point). It feels much more comfortable on xb360's pad.

Where the sticks are isn't too big a deal for me. Though I think the reason some people make a stink about is is the majority of the action is on the face buttons and the left analog stick (the original location of both in the first playstation controller).

Remember the analog sticks were an add-on to what was a very comfortable and well designed psone pad. Once games started using the left analog stick as the primary input device for movement, it should have moved in place of the dpad on the ps pad. Like it is on xb360.

Some people prefer to mostly hold the controller in their left hand. It's a matter of what you're used to. Clear indication of this is that only people who are used to one complain about the other. Though slightly more people complain going from 360 to PS3 controllers than vice versa, but I think that is mostly due to as James says the analog sticks on the 360 are just better in general.

I have both, but whatever I like about the 360's controller, that's not one of them. It's not a net gain for me for playing anything that uses dual analog sticks, and I actually think it's an actual downgrade for anything that uses the d-pad. But no-one wants to use the d-pad on the 360 anyway because it's broken, so no-one is bothered by that I suppose.

Most important features for me to fix with the 360's controller is the feel of all digital buttons, basically. They were all really bad, except the a/b/x/y buttons, which were passable.

Though I think the reason some people make a stink about is is the majority of the action is on the face buttons and the left analog stick (the original location of both in the first playstation controller).
I appreciate that argument, but things have changed and a LOT of games are twin-sticks; certainly the most popular titles. That's why I like the DS layout - for twin-stick control its symmetric, and for asymmetric controls the layout doesn't much matter and the input type is as asymmetric as the layout (button mashing one thumb, fine motor control the other).

Hard to believe when the analog sticks are symmetrical. That's my fundamental problem with DS and it's still there. DF doesn't seem to acknowledge this as an issue so their analysis means little to me.

And the triggers while better, still seem quite inferior.

Both controllers seem improved though. Hopefully DS4 will be more to my liking in practice than DS3, it certainly sounds better.

I would have figured the controllers, at least Xbox, would have stayed the same. So, pleasant surprise.

Why are symmetrical sticks a problem exactly? Do Xbox gamers have assymetrical hands or what? I can't quite follow the logic when people complain about unnatural stick positions. It just makes zero sense.
For what it's worth, I can't think of a single controller I ever had much trouble adopting to. I do have a couple of nit picks with just about all of them, but I never held one which I considered to be fundamentally flawed (well, except for the original Xbox conroller probably)

The only argument against symmetric sticks that made any sense to me was that your thumbs could knock together, which may be a moot point on the wider DS4.

for me, the DS make my hand hold it in unsafe position. i kind of hang it using my fingers.
because if i hold it fully like X, my thumb will default to digital directional button and stretching it to analog stick is tiring (make sore).

If you're in front of the television and the screen is dark won't you be able to see the reflection of the DS4 LED?

Yes, that's possible. Though it will depend a lot on how you hold the controller, where your TV is, etc. But definitely possible.

for me, the DS make my hand hold it in unsafe position. i kind of hang it using my fingers.
because if i hold it fully like X, my thumb will default to digital directional button and stretching it to analog stick is tiring (make sore).

That might be fixable by making the DS handles longer and beefier so that it's cushioned in your palm, instead of your fingers.

I have no problem with the stick position...but the X360 sticks are way better, responsive and have the right shape. Same goes for the L2/R2 buttons. But apparently, they have fixed this now for the new controller and I read a lot of positive reviews from people having hands on experience...about time imo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back