How will NVidia counter the release of HD5xxx?

What will NVidia do to counter the release of HD5xxx-series?

• GT300 Performance Preview Articles

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • New card based on the previous architecture

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • New and Faster Drivers

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Something PhysX related

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Powerpoint slides

Votes: 61 41.5%
  • They'll just sit back and watch

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nvidia obviously. I don't have any reason to hide my sources as I exchange e-mails day to day with Nvidia. Its part of my role as a user group member. I dont think exact name((names)) is important because their e-mail addresses are tied to their name and I dont want their names flooded with e-mails. . Now Nvidia clearly isn't unbiased to themselves. Any less than I am unbiased to Nvidia. However having a "Secret Source" who is "Supposedly" telling everyone these things but won't come across just wreaks of FUD to me.
I think this is just one of those cases where you blindly trust someone to inform you about something important and that doesnt pay off, might be time to start waking up.

Its either that or your contacts are not in the loop, which I find more difficult to digest.

:LOL:

I just find it amusing that you're accusing me of FUD over this, sort of ironic. ;)

Actually I wasn't accusing you of anything. I was more directly pointing at your source who wishes to remain nameless.

I think this is just one of those cases where you blindly trust someone to inform you about something important and that doesnt pay off, might be time to start waking up.

Its either that or your contacts are not in the loop, which I find more difficult to digest.

Not exactly, I just got updated. I know who the original source is. And I know exactly what is going on... Theo's story is wrong. Or at the very least so far out of context that its out orbit to what actually happened. When one editor constitutes a press event. Then well. Wow things sure have changed since the last one I was at.. This is essentially a snow ball effect rumor. I have waisted alot of time on this to something incredibly stupid. The only thing I regret is the energy and time I wasted on this subject. If Nvidia was just faster to respond to my e-mails sometimes. I'd have saved myself a whole lot of grief.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen let's shake hands and agree to hold our breath until the 10th.
If I can't get someone drunk enough to spill me some beans on the ninth then I've lost my touch. ;)

In fairness that cuts both ways, could be my sources are wrong too.

I just think this is gonna be one of those above-the-ordinary type launches from all perspectives, so I figure the silly season stuff to be flying fast and heavy...AND I LOVERS IT!!!! :D

My excitement level over this launch has officially moved from an 11 to a 12. :cool:

In fairness that cuts both ways, could be my sources are wrong too.

I just think this is gonna be one of those above-the-ordinary type launches from all perspectives, so I figure the silly season stuff to be flying fast and heavy...AND I LOVERS IT!!!! :D
The probability of one person being wrong over 3 or 4 is more. ;)

My excitement level over this launch has officially moved from an 11 to a 12. :cool:
Out of 5? :p

That actually doesn't suggest ATI will wish they had done it differently. It suggests that learning what your rival is doing at some finite time before release will not change your chip unless you want to have "massive delays"
Bit late responding but the point is context.

The wider context is ATI being about to launch their DX11 hardware & with NV being not expected to be able to match it until at best 1Q 2010 and us trying to spot the NV marketing moves to spoil/counter/keep up sales of NV products.

The specific context is that those 4 were posted in a block, posted order is:
1: PhysX
2: Recession is over
3: ATI can't change their chip without a big delay
4: Only DX9 games this year

There is also that next sentence:
The only effects that leaks can cause is that the high end market might be reluctant to buy new GPUs since they know that something better is around the corner, but since history repeats itself, its not hard to guess that around Xmas, both companies will have its DirectX 11 generation, if not even earlier than that.
This is likely the core NV Marketing talking point ie G300 is not that far away & people should wait for it.

3: isn't in there by pure random chance, in my view its one of a block of 4 articles based on NV supplied talking points.
The ATI logo & the bit where he says that he talked to an ATI guy is Fudo just trying to hide that its another pro-NV bit.

The bit in the middle in that context is suggesting that 'ATI will wish they had done their DX11 architecture differently when they see G300'.

The bit in the middle in that context is suggesting that 'ATI will wish they had done their DX11 architecture differently when they see G300'.

While it's not so bleedingly obvious to me I'll accept that it's truly the message behind it. PR can directly or indirectly truly make such claims, the real problem is if the reader actually believes it at this point. I for one don't yet until more reliable data surfaces.

How can anybody read anything into Fudo's missives when the man obviously knows nothing about either company's architectures? Spending more time analyzing it than he did writing it is a poor return on investment.

I think they'll do both the renaming/rebranding and also their slides that would say "Majority of the games don't have DX11 support anyways..." and also... they will put a bunch of stickers on their products with "Windows 7 ready/comaptible.)

That would be suicide. Their only gambit is lowering price and trying (probably in vain) to hype PhysX and any GPU compute advantage they may have. Telling everyone that you don't think DX11 is a big deal will more likely than not just push more people to buy the only DX11 hardware out there cause it would give the impression that once their DX11 stuff drops it won't be good at it.

Then again, hyping GPU Compute when you don't have anything that supports DX Compute may not be the smartest move either...

Telling everyone that you don't think DX11 is a big deal will more likely than not just push more people to buy the only DX11 hardware out there cause it would give the impression that once their DX11 stuff drops it won't be good at it.

Ahem, what was nV's idea of DX10.1 before derek P found out that they were actually working on dx10.1 parts?

Ahem, what was nV's idea of DX10.1 before derek P found out that they were actually working on dx10.1 parts?

You think Derek did not know they were working on 10.1 parts? :LOL:

While you point has some validity consumers see .1 different than 1. In other words 10-->10.1 seems small. 10-->11 seems big.

That in no way means Nvidia will not try something as silly as saying 11 isn't a big deal yet b/c there are no games, but consumers will not believe it as easily as saying 10.1 isn't a big deal.

You think Derek did not know they were working on 10.1 parts? :LOL:
As far as I know, the majority of the marketing department were as shocked as we were when they found out.

That in no way means Nvidia will not try something as silly as saying 11 isn't a big deal yet b/c there are no games, but consumers will not believe it as easily as saying 10.1 isn't a big deal.

They are already doing it. OEM's and Partners and.. anyone who wants to listen already gets the "DX10.1 is enough for now" and "DX11 won't start until we say it"

Then again, hyping GPU Compute when you don't have anything that supports DX Compute may not be the smartest move either...

Explain?

Do you think the general population even knows what DX10.1 is and what benefits it brings if any? We had developers downplaying it as well. On the other hand DX11 is going to be part of the whole Windows 7 marketing hoopla and will be a much bigger deal. It's not like Microsoft hyped DX10.1 and well we know AMD doesn't have a hype machine so I doubt many people know or care about what transpired there.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back