Nobody should buy a 360 ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my Elite 360 that I purchased in May 2008 and just suffered the RROD when I tried to enter into 1v100 tonight.

Which is just FABULOUS because unlike some people, I actually bought into MS's promises and used my 360 not only as a gaming machine but as the center point to my entire living room.

So, my whole weekend is now shot. Because not only can't I spend a few hours here or there playing video games, I can't access NETFLIX which is actually where I get the most use out of my console.

So now, I'm paying for a LIVE account, I'm paying for a NETFLIX streaming account, and I have absolutely ZERO entertainment options for this weekend and the next TWO to FOUR weeks.

I feel like a complete HEEL for thinking that all the RROD stories were embellished, planted by Sony fanboys, or wouldn't effect me because my console was 2nd or 3rd generation so the problems would be fixed.

HA!

I'm a tool.

$449 for a console that a little over a year later is completely unusable.

Great. Hell, even when my Atari 2600 or my NES glitched, all I had to do was blow some air on the cartridge or the slot.

At least when I had disk read errors on my PS2 (all three of them) or my Xbox, it only seemed to effect certain games and I could still boot the consoles.

I haven't decided yet to buy a PS3 after the upcoming price drop or just go back to PC gaming, but you can be damn sure I'm not paying my LIVE! subscription renewal that just renewed TWO DAYS AGO.

Quarter till 9pm on a Friday night, I just spent about an hour today managing my netflix que so I had movies to stream for tonight and tomorrow and now I've got NOTHING. No games to play, no movies to watch.

I guess that's the wonderful thing about having a single console that provides you with everything. When it fails, you might as well pull out monopoly or the rest of the board games because that's all you're left with.

Go buy an arcade unit as a spare until your elite gets repaired, and use your elite's HD in the mean time. I realize it's a bit of extra money, but it won't interupt your weekend entertainment plans and it never hurts to have a spare. Hell, I've got two 360s, one for gaming in the living room, and one for NetFlix in the bedroom.

What kind of solution is that?

Go give MS MORE money because despite the fact you purposefully waited a couple of generations for them to get all the bugs worked out and weren't an early adopter the console STILL was manufactured poorly?

SCREW that. I'm far more interested in making sure I get my money back from my LIVE! membership that was just renewed TWO DAYS AGO than I am in spending ANOTHER $199 to buy a console in the mean time.

Mobious: I have NO IDEA what you're talking about when you refer to 'standards'. The reason I moved away from PC gaming to consoles was because of screen size and using a M/KB layout on your lap on the couch isn't nearly as friendly as using a controller.

I'm going to move this PC downstairs and connect to my HDTV (that has a VGA port whoo hoo), so I can watch the movies I chose with Netflix. There's no way in HELL I'm going to buy an 'extra' console IN CASE OF RROD EMERGENCIES.

Seriously, NRP.. WTF? No.. really. WTF? I have the money, but seriously. WTF?

"OH... Well, you have a 360 so you should know that you should always have an extra console on hand in case of RROD. But don't worry! You don't need to spend the entire $449 you spent on the elite on the reserve console. You can just get an arcade version!"

WTF?

Rancid sorry to hear that bud!! I wonder what happened to you. Sucks about the RROD. I'm sure I would have been pissed too, but I don't think I'd gone off like you. My life does revolve around Xbox too, but not so much that I couldn't do without it for a week or two while it gets repaired. It has given me so much joy that I never would be disenfranchised to the point that I would swear off the Xbox or Live again. I have an investment in it, so I guess I'm a lifer. I hope to see you back, but will understand if I don't. Take care & good luck!

Tommy McClain

Well, on the one hand, I do have a 360 that's worked quite well for a couple years now. On the flip side, I hardly ever play it, and er... it's not actually my first 360. :/

My PS3 died twice so its not like the other side of the fence is perfect either. Sometimes things just break.

My PS3 died twice so its not like the other side of the fence is perfect either. Sometimes things just break.

Lol mate, this isn't exactly an isolated incident.

I've never had a RROD so my fingers are tightly crossed. All my Xbox owning friends have had at least one RR a piece, some have had multiple failures. My box does some strange things at times to make me think it's on the way out but the little trooper keeps on going :p. It's a Falcon too.

Well, my Elite 360 that I purchased in May 2008 and just suffered the RROD when I tried to enter into 1v100 tonight.

Which is just FABULOUS because unlike some people, I actually bought into MS's promises and used my 360 not only as a gaming machine but as the center point to my entire living room.

So, my whole weekend is now shot. Because not only can't I spend a few hours here or there playing video games, I can't access NETFLIX which is actually where I get the most use out of my console.

So now, I'm paying for a LIVE account, I'm paying for a NETFLIX streaming account, and I have absolutely ZERO entertainment options for this weekend and the next TWO to FOUR weeks.

I feel like a complete HEEL for thinking that all the RROD stories were embellished, planted by Sony fanboys, or wouldn't effect me because my console was 2nd or 3rd generation so the problems would be fixed.

HA!

I'm a tool.

$449 for a console that a little over a year later is completely unusable.

Great. Hell, even when my Atari 2600 or my NES glitched, all I had to do was blow some air on the cartridge or the slot.

At least when I had disk read errors on my PS2 (all three of them) or my Xbox, it only seemed to effect certain games and I could still boot the consoles.

I haven't decided yet to buy a PS3 after the upcoming price drop or just go back to PC gaming, but you can be damn sure I'm not paying my LIVE! subscription renewal that just renewed TWO DAYS AGO.

Quarter till 9pm on a Friday night, I just spent about an hour today managing my netflix que so I had movies to stream for tonight and tomorrow and now I've got NOTHING. No games to play, no movies to watch.

I guess that's the wonderful thing about having a single console that provides you with everything. When it fails, you might as well pull out monopoly or the rest of the board games because that's all you're left with.

As others said, things do break. With my PS3 i use the PS3 media server to serve my needs, and keep the actual data on my PC (and backup PC). In your case i don´t think that Microsoft as such can be blamed more than other companies that provide the same services as you mention.

Maybe it could be expected that they actually provided an automatic reimburshment on their monthly services sinche they know their hardware is undisputed leader in bad quality.

As a console collector i have been close to buying a 360 many times (it´s so cheap) but so far i just don´t believe that the build issues have been solved.

As others said, things do break. With my PS3 i use the PS3 media server to serve my needs, and keep the actual data on my PC (and backup PC). In your case i don´t think that Microsoft as such can be blamed more than other companies that provide the same services as you mention.

Maybe it could be expected that they actually provided an automatic reimburshment on their monthly services sinche they know their hardware is undisputed leader in bad quality.

As a console collector i have been close to buying a 360 many times (it´s so cheap) but so far i just don´t believe that the build issues have been solved.

WHAT? Things just 'don't break', and as I've said in other threads when my other consoles did 'just break', it was always about the poor quality of the optical drive.

I went through 3 PS2's and 1 original XBox. All my other consoles that had cartridges the problems were always with dust or something.

But this... this is something completely ELSE. It's one thing if it couldn't read my discs but could still boot up and do EVERYTHING ELSE that I'm paying for it to do.

And that's the REAL BLADE.

See.. MS wants to OWN the living room. They don't want to just be the GAMING console, they want to be the INTERFACE to everything. To Netflix, to Facebook, to Twitter, to EVERYTHING.

Well, when your console RROD, it's not just that you can't play games. You can't do ANYTHING that they PROMISED you could do.

No... This is a bunch of crap. If MS wants to OWN the living room and be the ENTERTAINMENT CENTER then you simply can't have situations where the entire thing is SHUT DOWN COMPLETELY.

I mean... I turned on my 360, everything was fine. I saw that AZBAT was playing 1v100 so I downloaded 1v100 and told him to invite me to a party... I got the download, joined the crowd and then sent Azbat an invitation to come to my party and the entire screen FROZE with all kinds of crazy ATARI 2600 WEIRD ASS FREEZE symbols and couldn't restart it without hitting the power button.

The power button? Resulted in WA WA W AWA WA WA RED RING OF DEATH YOU DIE GO TO HELL.

This is just crap. I paid $449 for this console THIRTEEN MONTHS ago. You can't possibly tell me that is something that's acceptable.

I don't CARE that they will 'FIX IT' for 'FREE' in 2-4 weeks.

I don't CARE how much I think LIVE! is a great feature and worth the price.

I will NEVER tell ANYONE to buy a 360 EVER after this, because I did everything I could with full knowledge of this problem to AVOID it. and it STILL WASNT ENOUGH.

My Bioshock guy says SWARM OF BEES bitches! Eat my SWARM OF BEES!

Is there a clause which explicitly prohibits refund for a case like yours?

Hardware failure are always a pain in the a$$... I hope my 360 (a falcon it seems) will last long enough...
Anyway MS seems to have the best costumer support around at least they dn't deny your problem and will somehow fix your 360.

Lol mate, this isn't exactly an isolated incident.

I've never had a RROD so my fingers are tightly crossed. All my Xbox owning friends have had at least one RR a piece, some have had multiple failures. My box does some strange things at times to make me think it's on the way out but the little trooper keeps on going :p. It's a Falcon too.

No console failure is an isolated incident. From roughly the same populations of about 20 different people I know 10/10 each way with some double 360/PS3 probably twice as many Xbox 360s have broken down from my rough estimate, about 5 people and some have done it a couple of times. About 3 PS3s have broken down but the difference is that the people with broken PS3s had to pay for them and they paid quite a bit. Almost as much as a new Xbox 360 infact to get their PS3 working. I had to pay twice for my 60GB.

Another sample I was told about from a developer who participated on another forum. The studios staff were given 80 40GB PS3's and 8 broke down in the first year or about 10%, and most of those were just out of warranty.

Is there a clause which explicitly prohibits refund for a case like yours?

I don't think there's any option at all for a refund. The only option is for repairs which is 2-6 weeks.

Which, IMO, is completely unacceptable and I can't believe that all these RROD stories are true and people still dealt with it.

Then again, I've actually been considering buying an ARCADE unit because it would allow me to stream video to other rooms that don't have DirecTV access, and yada yada...

So yes, even though I'm completely pissed I'm still thinking about how another 360 could expand my entertainment options.

I guess that's what happens when the service is so COMPLETELY AMAZING AND GREAT that even when you know you're being screwed, you're still willing to even entertain the thought of giving them MORE MONEY because the end result would be a better experience.

I don't know. The entire thing pisses me off because I SPECIFICALLY REFUSE to be an early adopter of ANYTHING because I know there will be growing pains that I don't want to go through. That's why I waited.

To buy an ELITE in May 2008 and still have it go RROD on me, just makes me think EVERYTHING they've told us is a bunch of shit.

Just get another 360, once you got it fixed returned the new one for your money back or store credit or something. Or just keep it as backup for things like this. It bounds to RROD again. If my 360 is my main device I would keep at least 2 for backup.

But at least yours lasted 13 months. That's a long life for a 360. Can't expect too much from it.

No console failure is an isolated incident. From roughly the same populations of about 20 different people I know 10/10 each way with some double 360/PS3 probably twice as many Xbox 360s have broken down from my rough estimate, about 5 people and some have done it a couple of times. About 3 PS3s have broken down but the difference is that the people with broken PS3s had to pay for them and they paid quite a bit. Almost as much as a new Xbox 360 infact to get their PS3 working. I had to pay twice for my 60GB.

Another sample I was told about from a developer who participated on another forum. The studios staff were given 80 40GB PS3's and 8 broke down in the first year or about 10%, and most of those were just out of warranty.

The 360 has a history of breaking down the PS3 will have a hard time getting up to par on that (as well :)) it´s just been on the market for to long without showing the same tendencies.

Maybe this is MSs way to win the console war by grossly inflating their sales figures with people buying several machines when they break.

By hook or by crook.....

Maybe this is MSs way to win the console war by grossly inflating their sales figures with people buying several machines when they break.

By hook or by crook.....

Bullshit! That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. They've had a lot of public embarrassment over the RRDs, and have taken on a 3 billion dollar charge to handle problems dealing with it.

The problems are due to MS rushing the machine, no more, no less.

Bullshit! That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. They've had a lot of public embarrassment over the RRDs, and have taken on a 3 billion dollar charge to handle problems dealing with it.

The problems are due to MS rushing the machine, no more, no less.
From all the story I read it's more like MS didn't ask the proper persons, they should have paid ATI to do everything from design to physical implementation of xenos (ATI didn't suffer from that kind of problem on any of their comparable products using the smae process).
Ms Engineers lacked competences and experience... It costed quiet a lot and more bothering it private people from their otherwise loved console :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back