ATI RV740 review/preview

Thing is that quote was less than a month ago, provided everything works smoothly(admittedly a really big assumption) amd should have production quantities of 2 new chips in a couple of months or so.
This is wrong, the order for 2 new chips is supposedly in but cannot be acted on for at least a month. So add 3 months to that and get october i suppose if everything goes perfect.

TSMC 40nm problems ‘have been solved’ – sources

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/06/03/tsmc-40nm-problems-have-been-solved-sources/1

The source went onto tell us that TSMC expects to start shipping GPUs based on its ‘remixed’ 40nm process later this quarter, which suggests that the 4770’s current availability woes are unlikely to disappear in a matter of weeks – the pressures may not disappear until September at a worst case based on the information we’ve received.
Jawed

Thanks Jawed,

Again, I wonder if these sources are the same as Charlie's both naming the 40k units and 20% yield figures. Though I wonder which magic sauce they used to suddenly make 40nm work.

Though I wonder which magic sauce they used to suddenly make 40nm work.

After what has happened, TSMC 40nm is halted while engineers try to fix the yield problems. Will not be back online for a couple of weeks at least.

This means their problems were much bigger than some incorrect setup of the tools.
They most likely need to add/replace some of the equipment to make 40nm usable.
At least after that we should get better 4770 with lower idle power and a lot of good new DX11 hardware :smile:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=18876

With TSMC's current 40nm yields, AMD was able to deliver a significant quantity of high-quality 40nm GPUs to ensure a worldwide hard launch, with every region receiving a supply of ATI Radeon HD 4770 cards. Although initial demand was met, AMD couldn't foresee the tremendous enthusiasm from the marketplace for the ATI Radeon HD 4770, and is currently working closely with TSMC on supply. In addition, we are working with our AIB partners to deliver a compelling solution in the same price band that will ensure supply long term. Even today, many users are opting instead to purchase a higher performance ATI Radeon HD 4850 card, which is available at e-tailers worldwide starting around $100 or 99 EUR including VAT.
Jawed

sounds like damage control.

Yeah it's funny how much they sound like Nvidia :LOL: Tremendous enthusiasm? The thing sold out in a day and hasn't been in stock since. It would have been entertaining to read Charlie's take on this situation had it been Nvidia.

The thing sold out in a day and hasn't been in stock since.
I bothered looking a couple of times and it's been in stock in the UK at a given retailer more than once.

But the current situation seems to be sold out across the board.

Jawed

I bothered looking a couple of times and it's been in stock in the UK at a given retailer more than once

Yeah a few have popped up at a few places in the states too from time to time but it's never been reliably in stock as far as I can tell.

Yeah it's funny how much they sound like Nvidia :LOL: Tremendous enthusiasm? The thing sold out in a day and hasn't been in stock since. It would have been entertaining to read Charlie's take on this situation had it been Nvidia.

I'm glad you said that and are going to take the flak. :)

You definitely can get one, if you want here in germany. But for a mainstream part, availability is mediocre, granted.

There's quite a lot of alternatives: HD4730, HD4830, HD4850 and now RV790-based HD4790:

http://www.techpowerup.com/96859/AMD_Readying_Radeon_HD_4790_Based_on_RV790.html

It's the way of plaguing the market with the old generation mainstream cards based on power hungry last gen. monsters chips and preps a turf for final introduction of new high-performing HD5000 series. So we'll probably have to wait for high end dx11 refreshment 9 month later, until AMD introduce real dx11 mainstream parts. From that standpoint, it looks to me like first delivered dx11 GPUs even smaller in die size comparing to RV790 will have sky rocketing prices of 300-350 bucks. I wouldn't be too much surprised if we see RV740/RV790 as part of some HD5000 series just like in the time of 9700Pro when cut-down 8500 was relabeled as Radeon 9000.

Back