ATI RV740 review/preview

Ah, OK, my bad. But i may be wrong about 9800GT being slower than 4830. My fast check on our own current data gave me this:

x5dx08.png

So it looks like without AA 9800GT is competitive with 4850 (!) right now. Yeah, i'm a little surprised myself.
Most of the titles in there are slanted towards Nvidia, titles like GRID, CoD, Fallout3 are missing.

Why is that? Options are exactly the same: use the old 55nm GPU or the new 40nm GPU.
There is one small difference, RV770 has a much higher perf/price compared to G92.

So, GTS250. Are we due for another round of shenanigans (8800GTS 640-v512) when NV launches GT214 to take its place? i.e. GT214 ends up being called GTS250?

GTS250+ :?:

Jawed

You put a new Name and a "bling bling" Box and suddenly it is comparable to HD 4870?

Sshhhhhhhhhhhhh.... don't say it out loud!! :eek:

This is exactly what nVidia's marketingdepartment wants you to think and it's also the reason why some people will still buy the same graphicscard that they could already have 2 years ago... just slam a new name on it and they'll still think it's faster.

And it's no wonder GTS240 got a slight speedbump over the default 8800GT/9800GT speeds since even a RV740 at 650Mhz clock is already faster than a HD4830 which basically equals the 8800/9800GT in many situations (except for when you turn on 8xAA where it gets steamrolled).

RV 740 will be bandwidth limited, so increasing the clocks will help marginally.
Not if they increase memory clock too (granted memory usually doesn't get much of a clock bump in overclocked versions, since that would actually cost money).

Not if they increase memory clock too (granted memory usually doesn't get much of a clock bump in overclocked versions, since that would actually cost money).
I think the main question is, what ICs are on these cards? I know a few samples had the same ICs as on reference 4870 cards but is there really a lower bin than 3600?

If they are the same ICs I don't know why most wouldn't be able to OC and get +65Gbps of bandwidth, i.e. similar bandwidth to a stock 4850.

Edit- Qimonda has a low bin of 4000mhz listed on their website and Samsung has a 3600mhz bin listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly off topic, but I've seen the Mobility Radeon 4570 and 4650 get adopted exclusively in quite some models. (HP/Dell)

I think some builders were burnt badly by the G84/86 issue that they probably won't acquire any (low/midrange) GPUs from nVidia for a while- at least until a commanding lead in perf/watt is held. For highend mobile GPUs nVidia still holds quite some influence. Remains to be seen if M98 reverses that.

New HP refresh:
HP Refreshes dv7t Notebook

The standard graphics card is now the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 (512MB), with a 1GB HD 4650 available for an additional $150.
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4875

HP, Dell, Asus are refreshing to HD 4000. Lets wait for cebit to see much more models from other brands.

LOL
Dude, GTS250===============9800GTX+ ;)
Not really since it's coming out at $$130-150 while 9800GTX+ was $250.
I don't understand what's bad about this? You'd prefer the same name and mass confusion about it's price?

You put a new Name and a "bling bling" Box and suddenly it is comparable to HD 4870?
It's comparable to 4870 in benchmarks with some overclocking on the latest drivers. Although i myself would still get the 4870 -- it's better with AA then any G92-based card.

I will make you a picture in other way. The RV740 with a slight bump in clocks (think OC, XXX, PCS versions) will catch the GTS250=9800GTX+. This with the price <100$.
No. GTS250 is faster then 4850. I doubt that any RV740 card will end up faster then 4850 -- even OC editions. And there is no chance for them to cost less than $100.

The Guru3D review card had 650Mhz clock speed. Think in 750Mhz and 800Mhz versions when they reach public. It will be more then enough to hold GTS250.
Will they reach the public? Think about from where we're hearing all the buzz about "problems" with 40G right now.

G92 is nowhere competitive in price or performance. Remember Nvidia finished 2008 with a loss compared to 2007 with huge money (G80).
You have RV770 vs GT200 situation to blame for that. G92 is more than competitive in price and performance. NV's selling G92/b against RV670, RV770, RV730 and soon -- RV740. They'll switch to 40G when it'll be needed. I don't see the RV740 as a reason to switch right now.

Still they lost huge discrete market share.
Actually, they got it in 4th quarter.

In discrete share AMD and Nvidia should be almost 50-50%.
Not even close. AMD has a lead or tie in mobile and overall is like 23/34 -- were would a lead in discreet appear for AMD? RV770 is (was?) getting market share for AMD but NV had so much with G8x/9x that it couldn't get them to 50/50 during half a year half of which was already a crisis period.

PS: That review is a litle old (Cat 8.11).
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/...i_catalyst_92/10/#abschnitt_performancerating
From Cat 8.11 -> Cat. 9.2 you get 9% boost 1680@4xAA16AF.
Well 182.xx brought some improvements for NV as well so it's probably the same as it was in December.

Most of the titles in there are slanted towards Nvidia, titles like GRID, CoD, Fallout3 are missing.
What, even FC2 and DMC4?
Grid, CoDWaW and F3 are missing because there are no benchmarks in those titles.

I don't understand what's bad about this? You'd prefer the same name and mass confusion about it's price?p

I'm sorry but this I just find hilarious.

A Ferrari you buy for €200.000 is still a Ferrari when the prices are dropped and people can buy it at €100.000. Not even a name change to Lamborghini will change the fact that IS and will always BE a Ferrari.

The thing is that it's deceiving people. It's already happening with the current renaming of 8800GT to 9800GT. I am seeing unsuspecting people (who do not know much about videocards like the the average B3D visitor) who bought a 8800GT 2 years ago buying a new 9800GT simply because the name is "1 generation" higher so they think it's faster. You should see their faces when I tell them they just bought the same card. When stuff like that happens and when the instore clerics fail to tell the customers they're about to buy the same cards... That IS bad imo.

You might know it's the same card, but a lot of (average joe) people do not. It's just simply misleading to put a higher name tag on an older card. No matter who does it, AMD or nV. But I guess we'll never agree on that one. So let's just agree to disagree. ;)

There's nothing wrong with trying to clean up the naming mess you've got in your lineup. But doing it like this just seems to me like trying to get rid of that nasty nVentory in a very devious way.

It's comparable to 4870 in benchmarks with some overclocking on the latest drivers. Although i myself would still get the 4870 -- it's better with AA then any G92-based card.

So what happens when you even the odds and do some overclocking on the HD4870?

No. GTS250 is faster then 4850. I doubt that any RV740 card will end up faster then 4850 -- even OC editions. And there is no chance for them to cost less than $100.

That just depends on which reviews you take, which games they use and which settings they use. And it also depends on which GTS250 you take.. the one with 1GB or the 512MB version. I've seen plenty of benchmarks where the HD4850 beats the 9800GTX+ (in 2 days to be called GTS250).

Well 182.xx brought some improvements for NV as well so it's probably the same as it was in December.

Not really. At that time the NV drivers were already optimized for multi-core CPUs in DX10, while the Radeons got their multicore boost in the 8.12 Hotfix. So it wasn't really apples to apples and some applications get a relatively very big boost on Radeon cards after the hotfix was applied.

Not even close. AMD has a lead or tie in mobile and overall is like 23/34 -- were would a lead in discreet appear for AMD? RV770 is (was?) getting market share for AMD but NV had so much with G8x/9x that it couldn't get them to 50/50 during half a year half of which was already a crisis period.
I think he meant discrete high-end i.e. performance and up (more than $300).

I don't understand what's bad about this? You'd prefer the same name and mass confusion about it's price?

9800GTX+=GTS250 is competitive with HD 4850 not more not less.
HD 4870 destroy G92. HD 4870 is competitive with GTX 260 core 216 (the normal GTX260 is not competitive).

DegustatoR said:
1- GTS250=9800GTX+ is not faster then HD 4850. They are booth competitive tehy have strong games and points. End of Story, don´t make 9800GTX+=GTS250 look like a card that it isn´t.
2- Guru3D states that RV740 with GDDR5 will ship for 80-90$. An OC RV740 can ship for 100$ with performance equal to HD 4850, and if it have performance equal to HD 4850 that means that it is competitive with 9800GTX+=GTS250. This will put Nvidia in a huge pressure and lower margins completely because 9800GTX+=GTS250 should need to drop price again.

DegustatoR said:
Actually, they got it in 4th quarter.
Really? Last time I check in Q3 2008 Nvidia had a huge lost in discrete desktop (NV=58% and ATI=41%) and Q4 2008 numbers are unkown. If you have discrete desktop for Q4 2008 go ahead. I don´t know them.

I remember that with G80 ATI had less then 20% in discrete desktop. In Q3 2008 with HD 4000 in desktop ATI have 40%++. And if you analise Q4 2008 ATI and Nvidia sales in GPU (exclude IGP) you will se that both are pretty equal. Around 250Milion.

DegustatoR said:
Overall means nothing. In overall Intel has 50% of the market. Thats purely and only IGP crap that Intel inject to the market.

I'm talking about discrete numbers. Nvidia had a loss in discrete desktop with HD 4000 series. Nvidia will have another loss in discrete notebook with HD 4000 mobile series.

So G92 is struggling in desktop and in 3 days from now will be struggling in mobile. The massive renaming is a clear signal of this.

90% of the performance? I remember the clocks going down on the "Green Edition" so one has to wonder why they put all the extra megahertz on the 9800GTX then. Clocks should be 550/900 instead of 600/900 and it's actually more expensive than the GTS 240. Save the planet, give us more money!

I don't know what are the prices.
but, while you complain, I see it as, "pay more to get the better chip that runs on lower voltage", so it's not a worse deal! the other way around, GTS240 is the worse chip run at a slightly faster clock.

Edit- Qimonda has a low bin of 4000mhz listed on their website and Samsung has a 3600mhz bin listed.
Samsung lists a a 3.2Ghz part. Not in the part description but it's there - maybe they are too ashamed for it to even describe it :).
(edit: hynix has such a part too)

I'm sorry but this I just find hilarious.

A Ferrari you buy for €200.000 is still a Ferrari when the prices are dropped and people can buy it at €100.000. Not even a name change to Lamborghini will change the fact that IS and will always BE a Ferrari.

The thing is that it's deceiving people. It's already happening with the current renaming of 8800GT to 9800GT. I am seeing unsuspecting people (who do not know much about videocards like the the average B3D visitor) who bought a 8800GT 2 years ago buying a new 9800GT simply because the name is "1 generation" higher so they think it's faster. You should see their faces when I tell them they just bought the same card. When stuff like that happens and when the instore clerics fail to tell the customers they're about to buy the same cards... That IS bad imo.

What are you talking about, AMD/ATi has done this when they could remain competitive in a certain price range, nV have always done this to get rid of inventory and also if its compartive in a price range. For AMD they still have the same inventory issues as nV, they failed to mention this in their last conference call, other ommisions such as margins, (they did talk about ASP's though, but not margins), a stop gate to get rid of as much left over inventory, what is AMD going to do with their's, sell their cards to Dell and HP at lower prices so they can sell them months after a new gen comes out? Thats what has been happening for the past 3 or so year with ATi cards. Great, nV renames thier cards and sells them for less, I see nothing wrong with that, if a person is to buy a card that doesn't know what they are buying, they go by thier budget. Now halo effect is there but whats in a person's pocket is much more important if they are ready to buy becaiuse of the economy. If its deceptive to rename products, lets sit on 3 month inventory for the next year where OEM's get rid of older cards. Great for nV and AMD don't you think? Do you remember when the Dell finally got next gen card replacements for their 38xx series?

You might know it's the same card, but a lot of (average joe) people do not. It's just simply misleading to put a higher name tag on an older card. No matter who does it, AMD or nV. But I guess we'll never agree on that one. So let's just agree to disagree. ;)

Higher gen name at a lower price, they should understand if its lower price then what they already had, they should look into it. Consumer stupidty is always how marketers win, doesn't matter the industry or company.

There's nothing wrong with trying to clean up the naming mess you've got in your lineup. But doing it like this just seems to me like trying to get rid of that nasty nVentory in a very devious way.

Look at AMD's inventory issues....... Are they going to take another write off?

So what happens when you even the odds and do some overclocking on the HD4870?

Hmm don't think he was stating it that way.....

Not really. At that time the NV drivers were already optimized for multi-core CPUs in DX10, while the Radeons got their multicore boost in the 8.12 Hotfix. So it wasn't really apples to apples and some applications get a relatively very big boost on Radeon cards after the hotfix was applied.

Hmm that isn't very correct the hot fix for AMD cards performance was in limited scenories.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,674995/Catalyst-91-WHQL-benchmark-review/Practice/?page=2

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/catalyst-91_2.html#sect0

Seems to me it has more affect for the x2 cards.

Before you say there was no mention of inventory problems at AMD, they expected to gain marketshare this quarter, and actually they lost, even though there was no statement of loss of marketshare, if we look at total sales figures of the GPU market and quarter to quarter growth its pertty easy to see there was loss so thier usally amount of sales to fabrication shifted (a fairly large shift), there has to be extra inventory.

HD 4870 is competitive with GTX 260 core 216 (the normal GTX260 is not competitive).
HD 4870 is in the middle of both those cards give or take 5%

2- Guru3D states that RV740 with GDDR5 will ship for 80-90$. An OC RV740 can ship for 100$ with performance equal to HD 4850, and if it have performance equal to HD 4850 that means that it is competitive with 9800GTX+=GTS250. This will put Nvidia in a huge pressure and lower margins completely because 9800GTX+=GTS250 should need to drop price again.

For 2 months pressure that not much ;)

Really? Last time I check in Q3 2008 Nvidia had a huge lost in discrete desktop (NV=58% and ATI=41%) and Q4 2008 numbers are unkown. If you have discrete desktop for Q4 2008 go ahead. I don´t know them.

AMD lost more then either nV or Intel in the GPU industry, they lost 10% more growth then nV (38.9% vs 28.2% losses) Thats a pretty strong figure that shows AMD lost quite a bit in all their markets that were in direct competition vs nV. AMD and nV both had the same total amout of loss though if you look at the sales figures, but why did AMD's growth loss be so much more? Why because they lost marketshare because they had less to begin the same loss of sales on both sides the hit is harder on AMD's marketshare.

I remember that with G80 ATI had less then 20% in discrete desktop. In Q3 2008 with HD 4000 in desktop ATI have 40%++. And if you analise Q4 2008 ATI and Nvidia sales in GPU (exclude IGP) you will se that both are pretty equal. Around 250Milion.

Thats impossible, they never had that low of marketshare. Lowest they had was in the mid 30's. Sales figures did also include a pretty big write off for nV, so if we take that into consideration, and if we had AMD's margin's figures there could be and there is a big discrepency in numbers as explained above.

Overall means nothing. In overall Intel has 50% of the market. Thats purely and only IGP crap that Intel inject to the market.

I'm talking about discrete numbers. Nvidia had a loss in discrete desktop with HD 4000 series. Nvidia will have another loss in discrete notebook with HD 4000 mobile series.

So G92 is struggling in desktop and in 3 days from now will be struggling in mobile. The massive renaming is a clear signal of this.

hmm nV increased their marketshare last quarter in the notebook market last quarter, they took a huge chuck think it was like 4% or so. Since notebook sales are highly dependent on OEM's I don't see these contracts shifting in 1 quarter.

Samsung lists a a 3.2Ghz part. Not in the part description but it's there - maybe they are too ashamed for it to even describe it :).
(edit: hynix has such a part too)

Thanks. Can't believe I forgot about Hynix.
Any idea on the density of the Samsung 3.2ghz? Hynix has both 512Mb and 1Gb listed for the 3.2ghz.

Let me get this straight:

Basically some people here think the RV740 does not benefit ATI's competitive position compared to nVidia.

I though it was obvious this chip was good news for ATI and bad news for nVidia. Am I missing something?

I don't know what are the prices.
but, while you complain, I see it as, "pay more to get the better chip that runs on lower voltage", so it's not a worse deal! the other way around, GTS240 is the worse chip run at a slightly faster clock.

it *IS* a *WORSE* deal because you're basically getting a 9600GT for a 9800GTX price. Their marketing has already shrouded you.

Back