Windows 7

I haven't had my Win7 image running for a long enough duration, so for those who have, does Windows Update ever show any updates such as security patches for it?

I haven't had my Win7 image running for a long enough duration, so for those who have, does Windows Update ever show any updates such as security patches for it?

On a quick look, majority of the updates I've gotten through Windows Update are Windows Defender definition updates and Office 2007 updates.
There's 1 "update for Windows", "update for microsoft script editor help" (might be office related, not sure really) and one security update for CAPICOM

I think what is needed really is the option to not install.
They have simplified the installation to the extent that you can only uninstall a bunch of stuff after the OS is installed.

They should bring back Custom installation option (like existed in eg Win95) where you can pick & choose which non-core modules to install.

Back on track a bit.

The reason Vista and Windows 7 don't offer the ability to add/remove components during installation (ala. Win9x for example) is that they are just basically ghosting your machine with a basic install. It takes an image of the appropriate OS your serial number entitles you to and installs that to your HD.

I suppose they could still include that option so that after it installs the OS it then goes through and uninstalls what you don't want. But wouldn't that just bloat the whole procedure when you can just uninstall it through windows anyway?

Regards,
SB

I also had a nVidia driver update for my 8800 GT (fixed UT 3 crashing) and one related to my Intel Network Connection (I have a Dell XPS 420).

I also did a manual install of a driver (my SM Bus controller was disabled) fairly soon after I installed the beta. So I can't say if Windows Update would have offered it later on.

Found the solution at http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/1524-sm-bus-controller-missing-driver.html

Oh ye, there was ATI update too, but even though it claims to be newer than the Win7 preview set from AMD's site, the version is older based on the numbers.

That SM Bus driver missing, let me guess, Intel chipset? You can fix that (and install up-to-date drivers for rest of the chipset features too) by installing latest Intel Vista drivers in Vista compatibility mode.

they are just basically ghosting your machine with a basic install. It takes an image of the appropriate OS your serial number entitles you to and installs that to your HD.
I don't particularly believe that this is actually what happens.
As far as I can tell they seem to copy the files off CD to a temp folder, then copy them to the Windows folder, then run a bunch of installation/configuration scripts.
I didn't notice any significant speed difference between installing XP64 & installing W7 beta.
If anything I'd almost say W7 seemed slower but I was tired & I wasn't keeping time.

Anyway, I'm back to using XP64 for the moment.

I'm really not particularly sure that I like the absence of quicklaunch.
I do heavily use it both at home & work.
Programs like calc & notepad are always in quicklaunch where they are out of the way but quickly run with 2 clicks.
To get the equivalent function in W7, I have to have a big clunky icon constantly on screen :???:

Oh ye, there was ATI update too, but even though it claims to be newer than the Win7 preview set from AMD's site, the version is older based on the numbers.

That SM Bus driver missing, let me guess, Intel chipset? You can fix that (and install up-to-date drivers for rest of the chipset features too) by installing latest Intel Vista drivers in Vista compatibility mode.

Pretty sure, but not positive, I tried both ways of installing the chipset software but got no joy.

[PreChecks]
!!! ERROR 0x259: Invalid OS
Silent mode. Skipping dialogs.
[ResponseResult]
ResultCode = 601

Next time around I'll try again if it's needed.

I do heavily use it both at home & work.
Programs like calc & notepad are always in quicklaunch where they are out of the way but quickly run with 2 clicks.
To get the equivalent function in W7, I have to have a big clunky icon constantly on screen :???:

On calculator all the keyboards I have gotten have a button to launch that, it works with no driver installed as well. For notepad there is the whole windows key and typing bit if you dont mind typing, but otherwise you may be right.

I prefer to avoid having to swap between mouse & keyboard.
But yeah, at least at work where for some inexplicable reason the IT guys had disabled quicklaunch, I learned how to use the F keys for launching commonly used programs.
Have not used that on my home PC though since I have quicklaunch which is better.

Windows 7 x64 running since it was released, I'm very impressed. Libraries are awesome and the ability to pin folders to the icon is really helpful, when I use my vista laptop it feels so clunky now. Dual monitors on my desktop and being able to pull a window by the title bar even if maximized and drag it over saves me clicks.

Intel motherboard drivers need to be installed in compatibility mode, and so do Creative x-fi unless you use the DanielK pack which you should anyway since it fixes CMSS 3d. There is a problem with the Customer Experience thing crashing installers but you can disable it, I got a problem solutions pop up telling me how to do it.

Using the latest Nvidia 182.05 that came out today and no problems at all, 181.22 before that and it also ran fine.

My only beef is that WMP12 media sharing to Xbox 360 is bugged but Tversity takes care of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've been fiddling with trying to setup the Taskbar in a way I like & find a good alternative to Quicklaunch.

I've turned off large taskbar icons & window grouping.
Switching grouped windows takes twice as many clicks & is therefore a useless chore.

Tried pinning all my Quicklaunch icons to the taskbar but that causes my Icons to move around :???:
Dreadfully inefficient to have to search to find where the blasted icon went all the time! :mad:

Just discovered that pinning to Start Menu gives a close enough approximation to Quicklaunch though so thats a big improvement :)

Definitely nice customisation options here, task menu icons & behaviour is all by tickboxes or 3 option radio buttons.
Can even clear out all the Windows icons from the desktop without tweakUI :D

So I've been fiddling with trying to setup the Taskbar in a way I like & find a good alternative to Quicklaunch.

I've turned off large taskbar icons & window grouping.
Switching grouped windows takes twice as many clicks & is therefore a useless chore.

Tried pinning all my Quicklaunch icons to the taskbar but that causes my Icons to move around :???:
Dreadfully inefficient to have to search to find where the blasted icon went all the time! :mad:

Just discovered that pinning to Start Menu gives a close enough approximation to Quicklaunch though so thats a big improvement :)

Definitely nice customisation options here, task menu icons & behaviour is all by tickboxes or 3 option radio buttons.
Can even clear out all the Windows icons from the desktop without tweakUI :D

Hmmmm....... I use this:

desktop2.jpg

Thats a cool looking desktop Chaney! In fact its so cool I dont understand what is going on....I reckon thats your taskbar on the left corner being placed vertically with a crapload of quickload icons?

Thats a cool looking desktop Chaney! In fact its so cool I dont understand what is going on....I reckon thats your taskbar on the left corner being placed vertically with a crapload of quickload icons?

lol yes essentially

I moved the task bar to the left side and widened it. Then I created various folders in the taskbar (Applications, Windows, Multi-Media, Internet, Games, Gaming Applications). Then I simply drag and dropped desktop icons into the folder area to create quick-launch icons. The bar itself works from both a horizontal or verticle perspective.

Try this image link to get a better view of it:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h108/woundingchaney/desktop2-1.jpg

Here is with the taskbar in the traditional position:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h108/woundingchaney/desktop2-2.jpg

Wallpaper found here:

http://exoteric.roach.org/bg/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
http://firingsquad.com/features/best_and_worst_of_windows_7/

Very much inclined to agree with their wrapup 'it feels more like Vista Second Edition'.

Dunno what they're on about with XP & the boot loader? It gives me 2 options: Windows 7 & Other Windows which loads my XP X64 with no intervention on my part having been required.
(maybe X64 is special though since its a bit more recent?)

Killed Grub though.

Have they finally implemented Xbox 360 pad control of the media centre and games explorer? I doubt it but i'm amazed how they could miss such an obvious bit of UI enhancement at practically zero cost.

And for that matter, is the games explorer still as useless as in Vista? Or can you actually edit game info and icons now?

http://firingsquad.com/features/best_and_worst_of_windows_7/

Very much inclined to agree with their wrapup 'it feels more like Vista Second Edition'.

Dunno what they're on about with XP & the boot loader? It gives me 2 options: Windows 7 & Other Windows which loads my XP X64 with no intervention on my part having been required.

Killed Grub though.

It is "Vista Second Edition" just like XP was "Win 2000 Second Edition"
Both XP & XP x64 work the same way from bootloaders point of view, which is the exact same in 7 as it was in Vista

I think they are mistaken. My Windows 7 recognize my old Windows XP installation perfectly in its default setting.

Back