NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fuss is mostly because Nvidia seems to be promoting 3D vision. That there are some cheap alternatives. You wouldnt believe how many people didnt know about the Red/Blue 3D glasses. However you get what you pay for. Compared to the shutter glasses theres like no comparison.

The fuss is mostly because Nvidia seems to be promoting 3D vision. That there are some cheap alternatives. You wouldnt believe how many people didnt know about the Red/Blue 3D glasses. However you get what you pay for. Compared to the shutter glasses theres like no comparison.

Must be REALLY awful then, I used the shutter glasses at The Gadget Show live and they made Burnout Paradise a dire, headache inducing, disaster.

Maybe 5 minutes or so, I was working on a booth and just checked them out during my lunch break.

For me it wasn't a particularly pleasant experience, somewhat weirdly I actually found it very difficult to judge distances in Burnout - a game which I've completed on 360 and PC in the past - regardless of the 'depth' setting and spent most my time powersliding in to walls just before the corner I was trying to take or hammering in to traffic.
It looked a bit odd too, gaving the whole game the appearance of the original Daytona with higher resolution textures if you were sat FAR too close to the screen. There were also some frame rate issues, and this is a game that normally runs at 60fps absolutely flawlessly for me.

Maybe with prolonged usage it improves, but I really wouldn't want to invest hundreds of £ to find out.

I used the shutter glasses at The Gadget Show live and they made Burnout Paradise a dire, headache inducing, disaster.

Thats because you are weak :D

ps: did you use the glasses with a 120hz monitor ?

pps: do you need a frame rate of 120 to use the glasses ?

ppps: ;) @chrisray ive asked you a few times but you've been strangely slent on the matter what have nv done to solde the crosshair not being a 3d object problem in fps games ?

I assume it was a 120Hz monitor, since the whole purpose of the demo was a retailer showing off the technology :)

I once bought a pair of shutter glasses a few years ago. That's when CRT was the mainstream, so there's no need for the fancy 120Hz LCD back then. In some games, the effect is very good. However, for some other games, the depth is too "deep" and can cause eye strain or even nausea. Then NVIDIA didn't update their 3D stereo driver anymore so I can't use the glasses anymore. It's not compatible with the new stereo driver either.

I tried the new stereo driver with a pair of red-blue glasses. The effect is of course worse. I don't want to invest into a 120Hz LCD just to see how the new shutter glasses work. Bascially I am not convinced that shutter glasses are the correct solution. I think a polarized stereo LCD (with polarized glasses) is a better solution.

Of course, a real stereo solution has to take the eye position into account. I've seen a demo using Wiimote to track the head position, but a simple web camera with eye tracking software is probably ok too.

Thats because you are weak :D

ps: did you use the glasses with a 120hz monitor ?

ppps: ;) @chrisray ive asked you a few times but you've been strangely slent on the matter what have nv done to solde the crosshair not being a 3d object problem in fps games ?

Nvidia uses custom Crosshair objects on a game to game bases. Usually they replace them. Its one of the reason 3DVision is profile specific.

*Edit* Yes I use a 120 Hz monitor for the glasses. No you do not need 120 FPS to use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw the Computex presentation over at PCPER.

Have they really got nothing new to show us? these are the same old tired demo's they've been running for the past few months. I think world+dog now knows about dxcompute smoke, water and a game that nobody will play(Term:Salv) that shows mediocre graphics and physx at best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrUYX7R53LY

No, 60-80 will do already but it's more strain on the eyes because of the flickering and lower framerate (half the monitor frequency). That with 120 Hz is based on the usual "must be 60 fps to look smooth" legend.

3D-glasses is to me the best thing since sliced bread, but unfortunately my old glasses won't work without a VGA-input. And buying a new card and glasses just for the 3d-view is kinda silly.

No, 60-80 will do already but it's more strain on the eyes because of the flickering and lower framerate (half the monitor frequency). That with 120 Hz is based on the usual "must be 60 fps to look smooth" legend.

3D-glasses is to me the best thing since sliced bread, but unfortunately my old glasses won't work without a VGA-input. And buying a new card and glasses just for the 3d-view is kinda silly.

Then nVidia is perpetuating that legen nicely with their system requirements page:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_3D_Vision_Requirements.html

# Desktop Displays

* Samsung® SyncMaster 2233RZ 120 Hz LCD display
* ViewSonic® FuHzion™ VX2265wm 120 Hz LCD display
* 100 Hz and higher analog CRTs

And what about games that are capped at 60hz and can't be forced through the control panel?

can we make our own profiles or are we dependant on nv?
nv should hire me as an official tester
"Sacred Terrabyte of Gaming Goodness" sponsored by nvidia, has a nice ring to it
or "the guardian views his goodness whith nv glasses"

thats a lot of publicity for a monitor and a set of specs :D

And what about games that are capped at 60hz and can't be forced through the control panel?

The old stereo driver (not the current one, the ancient one) can force 100 ~ 120Hz even if the game does not support it or capped at 60Hz. So I guess it still can do that now.

What I mean is that the 3D effect will work fine even with 60 Hz (30 fps accordingly), just that you'll see some flickering because of the on-off switching of the individual glasses. That's why they recommend more than 120Hz, speeds below that are percieved as unpleasant by many because of the mentioned flickering etc. I personally didn't find it that bad, I ran it with my 75Hz CRT back then.

Dunno if they capped it in the new drivers, but I doubt it.

Has AMD shown anything besides the tessellated head? I read somewhere that they weren't done presenting yet.

I actually saw DX11 software on DX11 hardware for AMD. Instead of the same CUDA/DXCompute Presentation from March, not even a mention of OpenCL or DX5 Compute shaders.

Has AMD shown anything besides the tessellated head? I read somewhere that they weren't done presenting yet.

Yeah, they have shown other stuff too; some soldier guy with cybernetic hand and apparently some computeshader demos based on the old froblin demo, and then couple tesselation demos based on the old froblins demo and ruby demo (mountains)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back