NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh? The rumour is that Intel will sell Celerons integrated with mobos. To reduce costs.

If so then that's similar to the way Atom is sold (though Atoms can be bought unbundled - maybe the same will apply with Celerons?).

Since it isn't happening yet we'll have to wait and see.

The comparison I'm making is that rumoured cost-cutting for Celeron entails it being bundled, which if true, is just like cost-cutting for Atom.

Gawd it's so tedious spelling out this basic stuff.

Jawed
If you made your point more clearly to begin with you would not need to spell it out.

This discussion is about cost cutting measures. Nowhere is it suggested that it costs intel less to sell an atom + mobo than just an atom. It is saying that soldering it to a mobo is cheaper than selling a mobo+atom. So CPU+mobo is cheaper when soldered than not, but that is unrelated to whether it makes any sense for intel to charge more for just the CPU than the CPU+chipset which is what the other discussion is about. Bundling!=soldering to the motherboard. It just means you buy them in one purchase, not that they are physically connected. If you kept the bundling and integrating ideas separate it would be much clearer.

Actually there are cases where selling just an ATOM alone could cost Intel more money than selling it in its intended configuration.

This is only a "what if" situation since I (and I'm assuming everyone here) don't know exactly how Intel is doing this.

But if for example, Intel has contracted with TSMC to produce X amount of chipsets to match the same X amount of Atom CPUs they are making, then there's a cost associated with selling the CPU only that isn't there if they sold it in the original configuration.

It's only an example, I'm NOT saying this is the case. :p Just that the possibility is there.

Regards,
SB

They released that months ago right? the shutter glass stuff. "oh it's free*"

*with purchase of a quite expensive 120hz monitor.

2233BW Samsung costs 159 Brittish Pounds, the required 120hz variant (BZ instead of BW) is 360 pounds (with free* glasses of course)

Jawed, can you please point out where in that article that you linked it says Intel will be selling it's own bundled Celerons? That article refers only to third party mobo makers. Maybe it wouldn't be so tedious if you tried to be consistent.

Sorry, yes you guys are right, it's referring to mobos that are socketless, not pre-soldered CPU/board combinations that are sold by Intel.

Jawed

*with purchase of a quite expensive 120hz monitor.

2233BW Samsung costs 159 Brittish Pounds, the required 120hz variant (BZ instead of BW) is 360 pounds (with free* glasses of course)

Does this sarcasm have a point?

There seems to be a lot of positive sentiment around Nvidia for some reason. Not sure if it's just general good vibes or if it's related to the Rambus decision or any big design wins. But short positions are being closed out and calls are real popular as of late.

shorting a stock you bet (the broker will borrow x amount of shares and sells those share at market price) the stock is going down at a certian time, so lets say you short a stock that is at 100 and you say by end of a month it will be down to 90, you get the difference if it goes down by buying back the shares, but if it goes up then you pay that amount. Now the loss amount is limitless.

and call on the other hand, is similiar but there is no obligation to sell the stock at the stated amount of time. So its a bit safer then shorting and you have alternatives, if the price isn't what you were expecting.

lets say you short a stock that is at 100 and you say by end of a month it will be down to 90, you get the difference if it goes down by buying back the shares, but if it goes up then you pay that amount.

Yep.

and call on the other hand, is similiar but there is no obligation to sell the stock at the stated amount of time. So its a bit safer then shorting and you have alternatives, if the price isn't what you were expecting.
A call is an option to purchase the stock at a given price up to some point in the future when the option expires. So if you're feeling good about a stock you can bet on it fairly cheaply without actually purchasing shares.

A company never really holds its own shares. When a company goes IPO, it will either issue new shares (with the goal of raising working capital) or sell shares of existing shareholders (to compensate initial investors) or, usually, a mixture of the two. If an offering is especially successful, it can always decide to offer more shares than initially planned (the so called greenshoe option).

When a company buys back shares, it's done to reduce dilution, and those shares are destroyed. (I guess a company could hold on to them too, but I don't think that's common because it defeats that purpose.)
Agreed. I realized I was thinking of spinoffs in which case the parent company often keeps a significant number of shares. Thanks to you and trinibwoy for the clarifications. Back to the main topic...

Yep.

A call is an option to purchase the stock at a given price up to some point in the future when the option expires. So if you're feeling good about a stock you can bet on it fairly cheaply without actually purchasing shares.

yep sorry ment put

The months ago version also supports red-blue glasses (the cheapo one sometimes made with paper) which can be considered as free. Of course, it probably won't make you vomit in some rare situations :)

Nvidia drivers have supported red-blue glasses for sometime. Its a cheap effect and doesn't require a monitor. But it does have its limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back