Cross platform development and choice of 'Lead system' *Spinoff*

Branding and marketing are strong. Word of mouth is stronger.

Wrong.
Most of the sales are acquired in the first couple of days. No word of mouth is this fast.

You don't think people talk about games? Which ones they buy, which they think are best? You honestly don't think the conversation of "hey this game is good, but this one is a bit better" never happens?

Even good press arguably sells more, not to mention other ways of "personal opinions".
Nobody is interested in personal opinion, people buy what everybody else bought. The publishers task is to make it look like everybody else bought it.

You don't think history is littered with games that had huge marketing budgets yet still didn't turn a profit? FYI, the difference between a port and a native game is not 2%, but I think you know that very well.

And all this because of minor technical disadvantage?
Prove it.

In the end, just because a company that are self proclaimed Sony fanboys says that leading with PS3 is the way to go doesn't make it fact anymore than if Ford said that all car makers should build their cars off the Ford Fusion platform. If you want the correct financial answer then just look around at the game dev situation today and what most companies are doing. You may think they are all "silly" for doing business the way they are doing, but I'd wager their cfo and bean counters disagree with you.

To make yourself profitable you need to shine out, not to make games "as everybody else" but make games that stand out, this way you'll get attention.
So the excuse "everybody does that" is a consumer's excuse, not the publisher's one.
I suppose you're programmer and therefore don't have a lot of knowledge about how stuff is sold, am I right?

Wrong.
Most of the sales are acquired in the first couple of days. No word of mouth is this fast.

That would be true if no one knew anything about the games before they actually went on sale, but wait... we have the internet!

Even good press arguably sells more, not to mention other ways of "personal opinions".
Nobody is interested in personal opinion, people buy what everybody else bought. The publishers task is to make it look like everybody else bought it.

So very wrong.

And all this because of minor technical disadvantage?
Prove it.

If its so easy to prove he's wrong, why don't you do that? Game A doesn't have to be 'significantly' better than game B for everyone to buy Game A instead.

To make yourself profitable you need to shine out, not to make games "as everybody else" but make games that stand out, this way you'll get attention.
So the excuse "everybody does that" is a consumer's excuse, not the publisher's one.
I suppose you're programmer and therefore don't have a lot of knowledge about how stuff is sold, am I right?

I suppose you're a forum troll and don't really have a lot of knowledge about anything? I mean if you have a counter argument make it. Saying he's not an expert on marketing or sales doesn't make his theory wrong.

How would UT3 have done on the X360 with all the other hot-selling FPS being sold this Holiday season?

Nobody knows. It wouldn't have had keyboard and mouse support, and it wouldn't have had mod support.

Besides that, Epic needed to finish bringing the PS3 version up to speed. Last year they basically used Gears of War to get the 360 version of Unreal Engine 3 up to speed and show off what it can do, (and some say because they were basically behind schedule), they even released the source for this game to customers.

So for the PS3, they really needed to do the same with Unreal Tournament. In that sense, it's all rather clear. That by the time they will be ready to release the 360 version of UT3 (and hopefully by that time at least with mod support), I don't think they'll have that much competition on the fps front.
For Microsoft it's not that bad either, because if UT3 had released now without mod support, that would have damaged Microsoft's online service's image - maybe not that much, but at least some.

There is also a difference in framebuffer footprint in addition to OS resources...

Please you can explain more about this footprint?

2 possibilities:

1- Ps3 uses more VRAM something like 60MB for 960x1080 for better upscaled to 1080P in RSX(x360 10MB eDRAM or rarely ... + 32MB if uses MSAA 4x for 1080i);

2 - OS/firmwares after 1.80 receive more functions and have more space/footprint in VRAM(32MB like fw 1.0 original?)

About topic ps3 centric development ...in my opinion x360 could receive some benefits if developers using more capabilities with SPUs VMX units to use with more eficiencie threads is Xenon cpu (more graphics and phisics habilities as only use more for compressions and sound etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Please you can explain more about this footprint?

On the PS3, if you want to render with antialiasing, you have to keep the antialiased (2x or 4x larger) framebuffer in RSX memory. On Xbox 360 you keep only the output-size buffer in main memory - the antialiased (2x or 4x larger) pieces of the framebuffer live only in EDRAM, and are downsampled ("resolved") when they are copied to the main memory. For a 1280x720 resolution with 2x AA, 32-bit color and a 32-bit Z-buffer, this means an additional 8 MB, which is not a trivial amount of memory on a 512 MB console (even more on a 256 MB "video memory" console).

On the PS3, if you want to render with antialiasing, you have to keep the antialiased (2x or 4x larger) framebuffer in RSX memory. On Xbox 360 you keep only the output-size buffer in main memory - the antialiased (2x or 4x larger) pieces of the framebuffer live only in EDRAM, and are downsampled ("resolved") when they are copied to the main memory. For a 1280x720 resolution with 2x AA, 32-bit color and a 32-bit Z-buffer, this means an additional 8 MB, which is not a trivial amount of memory on a 512 MB console (even more on a 256 MB "video memory" console).

Thanx a lot for explain and thisis a very good to leaves extra MBs and save bandwidth for other aplications (texture,shaders effects etc) but you know or have any idea how much space actual fw 2.10 uses overall(my guess something like 60MBs or less)?.

That would be true if no one knew anything about the games before they actually went on sale, but wait... we have the internet!

You can play games on Internet before the release day? Where?

So very wrong.

There were a couple of research attempts on "how critics/press influence sales" but not a one succeeded in giving any correlation. You can find public ones on gamasutra, oh, I forgot, you can use Internet.

If its so easy to prove he's wrong, why don't you do that? Game A doesn't have to be 'significantly' better than game B for everyone to buy Game A instead.

When you state that some correlation exists you need to prove it. You don't need to prove the lack of correlation.

I suppose you're a forum troll and don't really have a lot of knowledge about anything?

Are you trying to insult me?

I mean if you have a counter argument make it.

You can read my counter argument in the aforementioned post.

Saying he's not an expert on marketing or sales doesn't make his theory wrong.

I'm not saying, I'm asking.

Wrong.

That's far from being true all the time. There are in fact a lot of games that have sold well for a very long period of time, from the original Halo to Resistance. I won't make a list of them all, but anyone paying a little attention to sales charts can see this.

Also keep in mind that joker has a few released games behind him, and so he has actual experience on how those titles have sold over time.

"Word of mouth" doesn't just work for a particular game, it can work across sequels. Game 1 gets great word of mouth, more people are interested in game 2, game two sells more. EA sports games have done very well through word of mouth.

Also, "word of mouth" applies to previews, betas and demos. After seeing Sonic the Hedgehog for the first time (running on an import Megadrive in a glass cabinet) one of my friends had told the whole class about how fast the game was and how it was the most phonomenal looking game ever. It got a lot of people interested.

You can play games on Internet before the release day? Where?

I suppose you've never heard of demo's or gameplay videos? You also don't have to have played a game to see the start of positive buzz. I can point you to numerous threads where people are talking about the expectations of forthcoming releases. I always discuss with friends what games we're going to buy and we want to buy the same ones if they are multiplayer.

There were a couple of research attempts on "how critics/press influence sales" but not a one succeeded in giving any correlation. You can find public ones on gamasutra, oh, I forgot, you can use Internet.

If you think word of mouth doesn't sell games, you are just misinformed. You can argue about the amount and what factor may lead to the best benefit, but the fact is that word of mouth sells some games.

When you state that some correlation exists you need to prove it. You don't need to prove the lack of correlation.

All you are going to get is anecdotal evidence. Even million dollar market studies couldn't give you hard numbers.

Are you trying to insult me?

No more than you were trying to insult Joker, so I guess you'll have to decide if it was an insult.

You can read my counter argument in the aforementioned post.

Perhaps you could point it out to me.

However, what if they managed to successfully transfer this general approach to the 360. What if these basics and general principles of game engine design translate very well to the 360? They may just as well have said that they designed a next-gen game engine that is well suited to both platforms instead of just the one. They happened to lead on the PS3, but they are very good coders and have done some impressive work on the 360 also.

One of the problem with this argument is to assume that you can't do lead development on 360 and have PS3 matching. I don't see the reason why that is case.

If you saying doing what's optimal on PS3 will result good/better for the 360. Then why is it what's good/better for the 360 isn't good for the PS3. Unless you're saying what's optimal on the PS3 isn't optimal on the 360.

From risk management, what does lead sku provides? Aside from what's been discussed here, lead sku provide more "eye-balls" on the product to catch bugs and issues. Can you imagine when you have a bug that wasn't caught in QA or during development get to release? Would you rather have a backlash of smaller install base or a large one? What if you need to replace it?

One of the problem with this argument is to assume that you can't do lead development on 360 and have PS3 matching. I don't see the reason why that is case.

If you saying doing what's optimal on PS3 will result good/better for the 360. Then why is it what's good/better for the 360 isn't good for the PS3. Unless you're saying what's optimal on the PS3 isn't optimal on the 360.

From risk management, what does lead sku provides? Aside from what's been discussed here, lead sku provide more "eye-balls" on the product to catch bugs and issues. Can you imagine when you have a bug that wasn't caught in QA or during development get to release? Would you rather have a backlash of smaller install base or a large one? What if you need to replace it?

Let's put it this way: you can code something in VB or you can code something in C++, and imagine for a moment that in C++ it was absolutely impossible to get good running code without doing some proper OO. Now if you start your project in C++, you know you're going to have good OO or else your program just isn't going to work properly, impossible to maintain, bad performance, etc. But if you start in VB, you can get away with most of these. I'm not saying this is strictly true, but imagine it is for a moment.

The choice of platform now strongly influences your design and development. If you translate your C++ code to VB, in modern versions of VB you can implement most proper OO that you employ in your C++ code and your VB code would still be running as best as it could. Vice versa however, you could have taken shortcuts with your VB code that were not aware of, that are going to show up once you start translating the code to C++, and some of these shortcuts may end up exposing serious design flaws that will require significant sacrifices or reworking / redesigning large parts of the code. This is the sort of thing I'm thinking about, when I'm saying that choosing the PS3 as the lead platform can lead to better code on both platforms.

Personally, the only time I've been faced with a similar problem, I worked as follows. First I made a basic design of my application in VB. Just a quick proof of concept, test basic functional requirements and useability. Then from there, I rewrite the code from scratch designing it as best I can for C and embedded environments. Then the resulting code and libraries are easy to make to work again on the PC and run great there, much better than the original VB code, but they also run in this embedded environment. It's just one way to approach things.

The fact of the matter is though, that obviously you can also design things with both platforms in mind from day one. In Criterion's case, they led on the PS3, but I'm sure they made sure they developed something that was doable on the 360 also. I think that most projects that lead on 360 haven't done that in most cases, or were PC ports to begin with.

And yes, obviously there are also going to be a lot of different decisions to be made - single platform can still yield better results, if you can make a standout title for that platform by doing so. You can always later decide to invest some of the money the title made into creating a port. At other times, you want to focus all your marketing efforts on a multi-platform release. There's lots of different ways to skin a cat, especially now with PSN/Live Marketplace.

In Criterion's case, they led on the PS3, but I'm sure they made sure they developed something that was doable on the 360 also. I think that most projects that lead on 360 haven't done that in most cases, or were PC ports to begin with.

That's the problem I don't get!!! Why can't the verse be true? Just because we have a couple of bad "port"* to PS3, doesn't mean all "ports" to PS3 will be bad. Just becase we have a port to 360 good, doesn't mean all "ports" to 360 will be good.

Also, my second point is not regarding technical difficulties. Catching bugs that's will exposed larger installed base. Bugs such as the installation problem with R&C. It's one of those bugs that might be caught or not, but the more people working on it (technical devs/testers/etc) the more likely it would be caught by someone. Usually, a lead sku would get more eye-balls on it then non-lead sku.

* when I used port in the context, I'm implying non-lead sku.

Wrong.

Hyperbole. > 50% of sales are not typically generated in the first couple days. Now if you had said, "Typically, the majority of unit sales for a given game are generated during the first 30-90 days of availability when marketing, reviews, demos and other exposure are at their highest" I would have agreed. But there is a big difference between 30-90 days and a couple (2 to 3) days, and in the former there is plenty of room for "word of mouth".

It would take really long to answer everything, and that would cut into Mass Effect Time :) So I'll just comment on bits and pieces here and there.

archangelmorph said:
If the competing game has more depth & better gameplay then these are a factor of the design & again aren't strictly tied to port quality..

Naturally you need a good game to begin with, I just assumed that part! Lead sku is moot if your game isn't new and compelling in some way. But there's other factors at play right now which really leave no room for just a "very good game". In periods of game drought, a 7.0 rated game may sell very well. Today though even an 9.0 game is not guaranteed to make profit because there's so many 9.5's out there. It may seem like that extra bit of effort dedicated to the lead sku is wasted, but it could just be enough to put you over the edge, to that point where everyone talks about your game and sales go through the roof. That extra bit of polish goes a long way. In fact you'll frequently hear that in game postmortems where one of the developers regrets is that they couldn't put that extra bit of polish in there. The lead sku is more likely to get the polish, the port just has to match the lead sku as best as possible.

one said:
Is it wrong to assume generally a 360 version is already 'good enough'? If you allow me to speak for CFO and bean counters, "if you have human resources available to make an already good 360 version 5% better, better spend the same resources for fixing a PS3 version to make it 50% better, or throw both of em and make 3 Wii games instead!"

It depends on the market. Assume your target release date puts you in the September to December time frame, and assume as well that a typical 360 owner will buy 2 to 3 games in that period. Ok, we need to get that someone to part with $60 for our game. What other $60 options does he have? Right now there's an unusually high number of quality games out there so somehow we have to convince Joe Gamer to give us his $60 instead of giving it to Bioshock, Mass Effect, COD4, etc... The stakes are high as someone just dropped millions to get this game done. If sales miss there's a chance the studio will fold, or the team will be laid off. That's why I always preface my argument on this with "at this time", because with the current market dynamics being what they are it will be very hard to convince someone to sacrifice the 360 sku in any way shape or form. Very hard! Remember as well in a typical company it's really only a handfull of people that ultimately make the decision on which console to lead on, the rest of us with all opinions/biases/etc have zero influence and pretty much just roll with it. If the company is small then the dev leads will have some influence, but more often than not its the people who have shareholder interests in mind who will ultimately decide.

novcze said:
Anyway, I don`t buy rushed crappy ports of XB360 games that performs poorly on PS3 just because developers don`t have enough time or enough experience. I shall buy Burnout for example, because is it good PS3 GAME that runs on 60fps without tearing or framerate drops and i don`t care how xb360 version looks or what can they do with PS3 version if they were exclusive to platform. See that logic? I just buy good GAMES, not crappy ones.

I totally see your logic and I agree! I would do the same in your shoes. Thing is, your $60 doesn't hold as much weight "at the moment" as those 360 owners who are twice in number and who buy twice as much. It's just like stuff I read on some car forums where guys complain when car makers don't make this kind of car or use this kind of engine, or cancel this line, etc. I never post there but if I did I would kindly explain to them that they are largely irrelevant since nowadays it's not what they want that matters but what women want, since they are more and more holding the purchasing power. Comparing that to the console world, at the moment PS3 owners can rightfully complain on forums about bad ports, etc, but unfortunately for them they just don't have the purchasing power to influence things in their way at this time. FYI, I do not think the current situation will last, it's not like the Playstation juggernaut is going to stand still. I suspect most people think long term that 360/PS3 will have similar market shares and attach rates and they will adjust their devlopment strategies accordingly. This is already happening here and there as PS3 coders who are a rare breed are starting to become more common, the 360 to PS3 dev kit count is trundling its way to a closer ratio, etc...

Arwin said:
However, what if they managed to successfully transfer this general approach to the 360. What if these basics and general principles of game engine design translate very well to the 360? They may just as well have said that they designed a next-gen game engine that is well suited to both platforms instead of just the one. They happened to lead on the PS3, but they are very good coders and have done some impressive work on the 360 also.

Have you even seen both games running on both platforms, joker4545? I wouldn't want really to continue this discussion before you have (got the PS3 demo a while ago and a few nights ago also tried the 360 version).

Oh and on the 360, Flatout UC is competition for Burnout Paradise, methinks. I have yet to try that game though to see how it matches up against Burnout.

I've got two PS3's and two 360's, so yeah I tried the demo on both :) Bottom line, Criterion pulled it off. I don't think anyone will challenge their excellence as a developer and the brilliant job they pulled off on both games. Now if every studio could do that, we wouldn't be talking right now! Reality check, the experience and skill level from studio to studio is all over the map. We don't all have 20 nAo's on staff, and many companies probably couldn't afford to even if it it was possible. Some studios may poorly budget time, or may be forced to do a port rush job. It's ugly, but it happens. So some studios will simply not have as good results as Criterion. This potential is factored into the "risk assessment" that all companies do when making a product. Criterion, and Infinity Ward for that matter, have proved that they've got the right stuff. So if investors were to give those two companies money to develop a future product they would be more at ease with them and perhaps would be wiling to lead on PS3 if they provided a convicing argument. More often though the studio will have a mixed track record with ports and the people in charge will have to take that and the current market into account when deciding where to lead.

EDIT: Regarding Flatout UC, yeah that is a competitor to burnout. But realistically you wouldn't only think of a competitor as games that are similar to yours. A competitor is any game of any kind on that platform that may take away that $60 from you. So Flatout is a direct competitor, but Bioshock, COD4, etc, are also it's competitors.

Pozer said:
Personally im of the opinion that shipping ported SKU's later is a bad idea. Theres a certain level of hype you only achieve once. Especially these days the kids don't want to seem like they're behind the times or enjoying an experience there friends had 6 months ago.

Yes, you bring up a critical point! Reality check, ports will sometimes slip and miss their deadline. When this happens the results are sometimes brutal. You miss word of mouth momentum. You miss marketing momentum. You may miss a critical time window when you can launch unchallenged by other games and instead end up going up against Bioshock. This is yet another risk that gets factored in when making decisions.

psorcerer said:

Yeah I am a coder. I also had my own company in the early 90's and a $250,000 contract (which I negotiated) to make a game demo. Ok, so it wasn't a high tech demo, I had to use WinG because DirectX wasn't yet available :) But still, I've dabbled in the world of marketing and sales although yes I am a coder by trade. More importantly though, I've typically worked at small companies where everyone is fairly close, including ceo's, cfo's, etc, and you can just walk in at any time and talk with them about whatever and be privy to information that you would normally never see if you were at say EA. It's fascinating the things you learn when you talk with the bigwigs.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of this falls back to how people spend their money. The platform that consumers buy software on will get the most attention in general.

As for your other arguement that the 360 market is maxed and they should look to the PS3 as an expanding market, the sales indicate that the 360 market is growing faster in NA (where the big software sales are being generated). Further, does putting substantial effort in a small market the best tradeoff? Creating features and content for the larger market can make you more competitive and visible in the larger market.

There is always room for both. I know some developers have looked at the PS3 as an oppurtunity to distinguish themselves because of the competition on the 360. Big titles, like CoD4, have a huge financial benefit of being really good on all titles.
IIRC the attach rate for 360 has already been pretty high. It's hard to make consumers pay more, a typical case of diminishing returns. It means the current bottleneck of the 360 market exists in the hardware install base, not in the developer efforts, relatively speaking. Right now there may be many hardcore gamers who own both 360 and PS3, but they will decrease over time and selling more PS3 SKU won't mean less 360 SKU and vice versa.

Also it's clear that the competition is more fierce in the 360 market with many high production-cost titles and strong Microsoft-published sellers. If putting some efforts in PS3 makes the whole multiplatform game development process halt they shouldn't do that, if not don't hesitate. Fortunately Microsoft tools are so good that they'll save time for the overall process.
I mean, Criterion basically started on PS3, and wrote the game making good use of modern technologies that emply data streaming, physics calculations and so on, and made their programming modules something that could fit well in the SPEs.
Did the Criterion guy clarify technology-wise what they actually did by making PS3 as a lead SKU?
Ok, we need to get that someone to part with $60 for our game. What other $60 options does he have? Right now there's an unusually high number of quality games out there so somehow we have to convince Joe Gamer to give us his $60 instead of giving it to Bioshock, Mass Effect, COD4, etc... The stakes are high as someone just dropped millions to get this game done. If sales miss there's a chance the studio will fold, or the team will be laid off. That's why I always preface my argument on this with "at this time", because with the current market dynamics being what they are it will be very hard to convince someone to sacrifice the 360 sku in any way shape or form.
I understand it's like agriculture, basically the harvest time for the 360 platform is coming with Halo 3 as I've posted in other threads, it's natural that publishers are rushing to it not to miss the chance. But as I wrote above there's a market cap, and as you noted competition is tough, they have to retrieve already invested production cost somewhere else. It's a standard situation that leads to multiplatform development.

BTW I wonder what it's like in the middleware area. Are they still premature for PS3 and the bulk of development staying custom? Oblivion was 600p for 360 and 720p for PS3, it seems their mileage may vary.

That's the problem I don't get!!! Why can't the verse be true? Just because we have a couple of bad "port"* to PS3, doesn't mean all "ports" to PS3 will be bad. Just becase we have a port to 360 good, doesn't mean all "ports" to 360 will be good.

It's not just a couple. The problem is endemic. And it's not an argument that a good 360 to PS3 port is impossible, rather that you can get similar quality going the other way in less time for less money.

Back