Cross platform development and choice of 'Lead system' *Spinoff*

I'm surpised that no one has said anything about what happens at 1:18 in the video. The 360 seems to use textures there for the snow while the PS3 uses something else.

Sorry nAo, I didn't mean to ask you to violate NDAs. I just thought that you may be able to shed some light on Xenos and AF (or even AF in console games in general), since it seems that some (most?) games don't seem to be using it.

We've had plenty of talk about AA and tiling, but I've not heard any console dev talk about AF before.

There was a thread about AF and the current consoles, but... it's pretty old by now. I think Joshua started it. :oops:

Ugg. The video in their comparison is so compressed that it's difficult to make any judgment. It does look the the blocking is worse on the PS3 side as well. It's hard to make a conclusive statement about the bumps in the scarf because I can easily image the detail has been filtered out during the capture/encode. Still, the fact remains that in motion (and the game moves really fast!) it's all but impossible to see any difference. Both versions look great and seem to run well. Well done, Capcom.

Yep, I agree here. I'll be doing a comparison video similar to how I did one for Burnout Revenge for Gamersyde when the Demo's release. Of course special pictures will be provided for B3D :)

I'm surpised that no one has said anything about what happens at 1:18 in the video. The 360 seems to use textures there for the snow while the PS3 uses something else.

DMC42.jpg

DMC42p.jpg

you mean this one? ;)

Hmm...I thought at that angle it would have looked the same on both sides but I guess I was wrong. So really I don't see a difference in the video that I can't say is because of being it heavy compressed.

considering 2 sites have said the PS3 version looks slightly better, that further confirms that GT comparison video was poorly done (and it obviously was with how much compression artifacts there are). i think both versions look identical so just buy it on your preferred system.

there's no big difference. some previews did say the controls for the 360 version are a little harder/have a longer learning curve which should be expected because the game was made around the dualshock controller. I'd wait for a demo (which I think Capcom said there will be).

Is that particles I spy the PS3 using?......

Or am I thinking of something else.

Yes, both versions display the snow via some kind of particle system... as hundreds of other games. Or maybe you had in mind some special, Cell-only, processor power hungry particles?

there's no big difference. some previews did say the controls for the 360 version are a little harder/have a longer learning curve which should be expected because the game was made around the dualshock controller. I'd wait for a demo (which I think Capcom said there will be).

How is that so? Both controllers have the same amount of buttons.

Could they use the same trick as they use in lost planet IE a "reverse use" of the AA sampling units to save computing power, this could result in less finer more granular particles on the 360 versus the ps3?

I suppose you've never heard of demo's or gameplay videos? You also don't have to have played a game to see the start of positive buzz.

Yes, this is called: "smart PR".
So you're actually supporting my point.
People have only the information the game publisher wants them to have.
They have all the information only after actually playing it.

I can point you to numerous threads where people are talking about the expectations of forthcoming releases. I always discuss with friends what games we're going to buy and we want to buy the same ones if they are multiplayer.

This is a PR product. It doesn't have word "public" in it for nothing, you know.

If you think word of mouth doesn't sell games, you are just misinformed. You can argue about the amount and what factor may lead to the best benefit, but the fact is that word of mouth sells some games.

Carefully crafted marketing and PR sells games.

All you are going to get is anecdotal evidence. Even million dollar market studies couldn't give you hard numbers.

So?

No more than you were trying to insult Joker, so I guess you'll have to decide if it was an insult.

It was an insult, will you apologize then?

Perhaps you could point it out to me.

I can even repeat the key points:
- PR sells games
- You need to do business different to stand out
- You need not do business too different or you'll be feared

Yes, this is called: "smart PR".
So you're actually supporting my point.
People have only the information the game publisher wants them to have.
They have all the information only after actually playing it.

This is a PR product. It doesn't have word "public" in it for nothing, you know.

Carefully crafted marketing and PR sells games.

So?

It was an insult, will you apologize then?

I can even repeat the key points:
- PR sells games
- You need to do business different to stand out
- You need not do business too different or you'll be feared

uh... what the hell are you talking about? Do you even know?

You might want to go back and read the thread to see what you actually posted.

Back