So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

Whatever happens with Nv's 8800Gt or thier upcoming cards, it doesnt change the fact that AMD/ATI this round seem to have a winner in the HD3800 series and thats what we all need here as enthusiasts.

AMD/ATI seem to have improved on thier r600 arch in making it;

1) Smaller
2) Needs less power
3) Runs cooler
5) UVD
6) Performance on par with competiton +/- 10%
7) Exellent Price/performance

With only those 7 points above, its is clear that HD3800 series, by itself, is a clear success.

Instead of arguing about NV this vs ATI that, we should be breathing a sigh of relief that Ati/AMD can still make products that we as consumers would want to buy.

Its great for competition, great for consumers and it bolds well for the future of ATI/AMD's highend, which btw, should not be too far away:D

Prove it. They stated in the conference call the margins on G92 are higher than the corporate average, likely an amazing 55%. [ Source Reference ]
So call me a skeptic. G92 looks to be quite a bit larger than RV670. It's not rocket science to think that G92 would cost more per die than RV670 due to the area difference alone. Hence, nvidia won't like to compete at the same price point as RV670 because nvidia would make less money than AMD.

-FUDie

I would. Will Radeons allow for AA in Stalker and all the other older games that don't support AA, or are you just teasing us here?
Its down to the devloper to support it, but indeed, titles that use deferred shading (which includes STALKER, UT3, Gears of War, R6V, etc.) are incompatible with MSAA - this has left IHV's sometimes trying to hack the renderer in order to support AA, with the potential side effects of IQ issues and lower performance because you don't necessarily know which buffers need AA and which don't.

DX10.1 allows control of the MSAA buffers to the developer, so titles that use deferred shading in the future could still enable AA from a DX10.1 enabled application.

Ah, so no fully compatible MSAA in all games on the new Radeons. Oh well, I figured that isn't what you really meant to say anyway.

Yeah Spyhawk but what happens here ?

http://www.iax-tech.com/video/3870/38706.htm i hope Catalyst 7.11 will perform better here even if it is a Syntetic Benchmark it shows that something is wrong in Performance when it comes to lights and this imho is a bottleneck for all new Games for example Crysis or COD4

Those are driver related issues pertaining to benchmark software that isnt optimized for ATI/Amd's offerings...well at least thats what I gather from those results. The HD3800 series has all the hardware it needs to get much better results than that and IM sure you know that, therefore...driver related

Will Radeons allow for AA in Stalker and all the other older games that don't support AA, or are you just teasing us here?
:smile: I think he meant that:
  • DX10.1 unifies MSAA landscape AND
  • when NVidia comes out with parts that support DX10.1 AND
  • when these capabilities are widespread enough for devs to start supporting AND
  • hardware can handle the load it brings (take a look at HardOCP's Gears of War performance with 4xAA)
then you'll "have fully compatible MSAA in all games", which should be about when R800 readies to ship. ;)
But with HD3800 you "have the capability" now. :cool:

:cool:
:smile: I think he meant that:
  • DX10.1 unifies MSAA landscape AND
  • when NVidia comes out with parts that support DX10.1 AND
  • when these capabilities are widespread enough for devs to start supporting AND
  • hardware can handle the load it brings (take a look at HardOCP's Gears of War performance with 4xAA)
then you'll "have fully compatible MSAA in all games", which should be about when R800 readies to ship. ;)
But with HD3800 you "have the capability" now. :cool:

Just forget the DX10.1 for the next 6months at least. This isnt why you would buy a 3800 card anyways...well it would not be the main reason for most. Even without Dx10.1 support from developers in the near future, the card is still mighty tempting:D

DX10.1 allows control of the MSAA buffers to the developer, so titles that use deferred shading in the future could still enable AA from a DX10.1 enabled application.

What does DX10.1 add vs. DX10 that makes such a big difference? I was under the impression DX10 had everything necessary for MSAA with deferred shading. Sure, DX10.1 makes it slightly more convenient, but I hadn't noticed anything that makes a possible/impossible kind of difference, or even a significant performance difference.

[*]hardware can handle the load it brings (take a look at HardOCP's Gears of War performance with 4xAA)
Ah, Gears runs fine on my 8800gt with AA, and I've heard other Nvidia users as well as ATI users say the same. Not sure what was up with the H's benchmarks.

For me buying a card that has DX10.1 would be just a small advantage in case I still have tha card when those 10.1 updates start to roll out next year++. Im sure Im not the only one that keeps the same card longer than a year. In fact Im sure a vast majority of consumers do so maybe this isnt as pointless as some of you make it out to be.

What does DX10.1 add vs. DX10 that makes such a big difference? I was under the impression DX10 had everything necessary for MSAA with deferred shading. Sure, DX10.1 makes it slightly more convenient, but I hadn't noticed anything that makes a possible/impossible kind of difference, or even a significant performance difference.

It adds to ATi cards something that nV cards don't have ATM. That's big enough as it is for them. I think that this jump to DX10.1 was simply cheap for ATi(they probably had most of the stuff required for support in the R600), just like the ALU bump of the X1900 over the X1800 was relatively cheap at its time. If anybody's banking on DX10.1 being a major consideration outside of a nice box bullet point during the 38xx's competitive lifetime...what can I say.

Meh, 2 FPS less than 8800GT in Crysis, the latest and most demanding game available, for what could be a significantly lower price, is promising.

Also, the iax-tech reviewlet also hints they may have done some fixing up of the AA hit issue.

We'll see on the full reviews, but AMD might at least be moving in the right direction.

Back