So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

Even AMD realises that OEM's like them cheap and "sounding" powerful.
For that, a HD3850 or a 8800 GT 256MB is the obvious choice, and doesn't resonate the "bet on retail instead" alternative strategy that you described.

I don't think it was a choice by Nvidia. I think AMD simply built a better moustrap for the OEMs this time around. Cooler, less power draw, quieter, cheaper, nearly as fast, ready to go in huge quantities (that policy of going for a smaller process finally worked!). Sure Nvidia get some benchmark press for the retail market by clocking their equivalent chip as far as they can, but AMD are happy to count their OEM money this season.

Most price-conscious "enthusiasts" nowadays know very well to stay away from 256MB cards, no ?

No, actually, most people who walk into Best Buy and the like are pretty clueless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but do you know how many Newegg is getting? And I'm aware of the £, I thought the $ and the pound would suffice for now. I think it's pretty obvious they are very supply constrained right now.

-Remember the reports a while back of them possibly being supply constrained in the future?

-The analyst down grading their stock because of RV670's presence and mass OEM appeal?

-UMC?

why would they be supplied constrained?
if they are only making 40k , 40 k was the first order, just like they did for the 7900's, and the 8800's, but that was just the first order, as always they have done, in this case, they pushed up the launch which is why we see the short supply.

Supply contrained came straight from nV at their conference call because they can't keep up with demand not the inability to produce.

The analyst, please link that again, I think he stated alot of other things that are now know as false. Thats 2 quarters in a row that guy talked out of his ass ;).

if they are only making 40k , 40 k was the first order, just like they did for the 7900's, and the 8800's, but that was just the first order, as always they have done, in this case, they pushed up the launch which is why we see the short supply.

Supply contrained came straight from nV at their conference call because they can't keep up with demand not the inability to produce.

The analyst, please link that again, I think he stated alot of other things that are now know as false. Thats 2 quarters in a row that guy talked out of his ass ;).

So when the 3800 series comes out and isn't supply-constrained and sells in greater volumes than the 8800 GT whilst having the launch pushed forward even further in comparison, how will you explain that?

So when the 3800 series comes out and isn't supply-constrained and sells in greater volumes than the 8800 GT whilst having the launch pushed forward even further in comparison, how will you explain that?

Haven't you noticed it didn't really mater that the 7900's were hard to find at launch either? Think we went through that before, by tracking down newegg sales day by day.

Haven't you noticed it didn't really mater that the 7900's were hard to find at launch either? Think we went through that before, by tracking down newegg sales day by day.

Which 7900 SKUs are you referring to? I don't think the 7900 GT is directly comparable to the 8800 GT, given the recent up-clocking/unlocking of SPs shortly prior to launch with the 8800 GT, inevitably lowering yields.

40,000 is not even near enough for a $250 msrp part to supply retailers world wide for more than a week. The 7900's are not even comparable considering the GTX was near $650 on launch and the GT was $400.

Keep in mind their was more than just one analyst that down graded Nvidia's stock.

Do we have the first reviews for the R670s yet? Sorry, the thread is too big to look through. The impression I got so far is that it's a damn good card, but I'd like to see more benchmarks and game tests.

Do we have the first reviews for the R670s yet? Sorry, the thread is too big to look through. The impression I got so far is that it's a damn good card, but I'd like to see more benchmarks and game tests.
No real reviews, unless your definition of a review is a mish mash of random games or benchmarks. (PR slides dont count either)

40,000 is not even near enough for a $250 msrp part to supply retailers world wide for more than a week.
That's the great thing about not having OEM wins: You don't have a commitment to provide X units per quarter. Likely, nvidia doesn't want to sell many G92s as 8800 GTs; the margins are too low.

-FUDie

Which 7900 SKUs are you referring to? I don't think the 7900 GT is directly comparable to the 8800 GT, given the recent up-clocking/unlocking of SPs shortly prior to launch with the 8800 GT, inevitably lowering yields.

7900 gt and gtx were very hard to get the first month or two after launch they were flying off the shelves, I remember over 200 being sold in a day at newegg for a few weeks straight. Newegg was getting shipments about 2 times a week, the day the shipments came in they were gone within a few hours. Anywhere from 50 to 200 per shipment.

40,000 is not even near enough for a $250 msrp part to supply retailers world wide for more than a week. The 7900's are not even comparable considering the GTX was near $650 on launch and the GT was $400.

Keep in mind their was more than just one analyst that down graded Nvidia's stock.

Yes and the analysts that predicted what that pretained to last quarter numbers too....

just wait till the next shipments hit it shouldn't be a problem (before they moved up the lauch day), I love the sensational stories we see on the web at times, because cards arn't on the selves doesn't mean problems with manufacturing. nV's yeilds are good with this chip, and their margins are great, what does that tell us, does that sound like problems producing the chips? Nope.

yes 40k is low for a mid range chip, maybe they wanted to play it safe, for the first batch, but the order would have had to been in at least a month before lauch, so cutting that two weeks out the next order would not have come in yet, which would be substatially larger.

Stop spreading FUD

Likely, nvidia doesn't want to sell many G92s as 8800 GTs; the margins are too low.

Prove it. They stated in the conference call the margins on G92 are higher than the corporate average, likely an amazing 55%. [ Source Reference ]

Anyhow, the expected margins were determined for Q3 CC prior to earlier than planned release & likely ASP reduction. We have no exact metric to go by.

It looks like they didn't ship any product in Q3 either:

http://www.seekingalpha.com/article/53531-nvidia-f3q08-qtr-end-10-28-07-earnings-call-transcript

Inventory grew slightly to $306 million in spite of the strong sales and production limitations. Most of the increase can be attributed to new products that were not introduced until after the end of the quarter.

According to AMD guidance, the ATI Radeon HD 3870 will feature 512MB of 1.2 GHz GDDR4 memory on a 256-bit bus http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+Radeon+HD+3800+Launch+Almost+Upon+Us/article9613.htm.

I'm confused, is it still 1.2GHz (2400MHz GDDR4) or downgrade 1125MHz (2150MHz GDDR4) ?

HD 3870 will be AMD's new enthusiast part, and is expected to launch at a retail price of $250,

Edit: Well GF8800GT is $280; $30 more than HD3870 for about 15% overall improvement/faster.
http://shop2.outpost.com/search?sea...uery_string=8800GT&cat=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Prove it. They stated in the conference call the margins on G92 are higher than the corporate average, likely an amazing 55%. [ Source Reference ]

But it can go both ways. For one it can be TSMC's problem with the 65nm process or supply problems due to changing of scehdule by nVIDIA due to AMD/ATI's RV670.

The margins are "amazing" on the current incantation of the G92. However, we all know that there will be alot more SKUs based on G92 than just the GT. Notably the GX2 (Q1 08) and the GTS (Dec 07), plus other SKUs that have not been leaked as of today. Common sense tells me that these parts i believe will have a more higher margin than the GT.

Plans always change. Yields could be so good that theres alot of fully functioning G92s that nVIDIA decided to stockpile them for the 8800GTS based on G92 for December. Sell these parts for $349~$399 and thats more margins being made on the GTS than the GT. What has AMD/ATI have to counter this?

The thing is that the mid to high end market (very profitable) is yet again left open to nVIDIA. We are talking about $249 and all the way up mt everest.

I'm confused, is it still 1.2GHz (2400MHz GDDR4) or downgrade 1125MHz (2150MHz GDDR4) ?

Imo it is 1125MHz for Reference-3870, but like always AMD-partners can free decide about memory (GPU determines the SKU-name) and so some will use full potential of the memory (1200MHz), like on X1950Pro (685MHz Reference -> 700MHz @ some AIBs).

This slide also state this:
200711086ce59cee982e351xl8.jpg

btw.
Get Caught in the CrossFire

The new ATI® Radeon™ HD 3870 with CrossFire™ dual graphics technology are the DirectX® 10 screaming graphics firepower that ALX customers have been waiting for. These power-packed dual graphic cards provide the stunning realism and immersive visual quality that propels you deep into your gameplay. Dual 256MB of DDR4 onboard memory, and PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics compatibility, makes sure your next-gen DX10 games can get cranked up to their maximum settings without experiencing any lag in framerates.
http://www.alienware.com/product_de...=PC-AREA51-ALX-R7&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT#pdp-nav

And Alienware wants $5.5k for this... :rolleyes:

Crytek, Microsoft, NVIDIA Downplay DirectX 10.1
Microsoft's senior global director of Microsoft games on Windows, Kevin Unangst: "DX10.1 is an incremental update that won’t affect any games or gamers in the near future."

Cevat Yerli, CEO of Crytek:"We've looked at it and there's just nothingin it important enough to make it needed. So we have no plans to useit at all, not even in the future."

Well' I hope at least AMD has some nice demos for DX10.1! :LOL: (In addition to "GI ball-demo" that appeared on slides).

Back