Killzone public beta later this year (Yes, another Killzone thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Killzone did have some technical problems (which the developers claimed were solvable with a few more months of work), but beyond that I suspect that the game introduced a true innovation to the FPS genre. Typically, the camera does not move from the FPS perspective, but in Killzone, the camera moves when drawing weapons (camera movement is different for each weapon, with none for the pistol), throwing grenades, reloading, and even shakes uncontrollably when too near a blast. I found that this significantly enhanced the immersion of the experience, and I hope that more games will start doing this.

This Youtube video shows a little of what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZzYTO0RCG0&mode=related&search=

I do not know how many other FPS's have sprinting, but in Killzone, sprinting is important when moving between cover. You cannot fire while sprinting, you can only sprint for short periods, and when done sprinting there is a delay before you are able to shoot again. This adds depth to the gameplay, and makes for a more intense play experience.

Different weapons also obscure your view to varying degrees, so it can be a disadvantage to run around with the multiple rocket launcher when you can't see what is to your right side.

The weapons themselves are well balanced each requiring different tactics- some are only good for short range, while others only work for medium range. The ISA assault rifle is very good medium-range weapon because of the grenade launcher, while the Helghast rifle is excellent at short-range because of the shotgun shell it can fire. One of the game designers is supposedly really into weapons- flying all the way to Vegas to shoot guns. I too shoot weapons (I hunt), so I appreciate the extra care that has gone into creating depth in the weapon experience.

Killzone's art design is some of the best that I've ever seen in a game. Many of the locations appear to be functional- a space port, apartment dwellings, research facility, etc. The concrete textures show incredible attention to detail.

If you get a chance to play the game, be sure to play around with the Battlefield mode, and try out some challenging scenarios where you are outnumbered, or have a very limited amount of time to accomplish something.

Guerilla Games has shown that they are very talented, and I wait in anticipation of their next opus.

I agree with what you said. After playing the game extensively I wonder how come other FPS dont follow Killzone's advice for the camera work.

I ve said before in another thread that other FPS seem like you are moving on cart with wheels. Killzone gives the impression that you are moving on legs and an actual body.

The movement and force of the shoulders and limbs while the character reloads, shoots or throws a grenade, affect the position of the head just like in real life. In other games the limbs seem to move independently and do not affect the state of the body and the positioning which is unrealistic

Mostly because of one certain e3 demo showcasing what we all WISH next gen looked like..

And the subsequent hints/beliefs, despite any real evidence, of spectacular, never-yet-to-be-seen on thse machines, graphics lying in KZ2.

If the PS3 could have played the E3 demo, I would have paid $700 for one, LOL. That gave me a sense of graphic tingle I haven't experienced since the first time I saw the Neo-Geo in arcades as a kid...

You mean videos like this?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=10543&type=mov&pl=game

Most intelligent people know the difference between pre-rendered hype videos and anything we expect from in game graphics. I'm really hoping that Halo 3 looks like that teaser video where MC throws that shield grenade down. :rolleyes:

Considering an average game gets scored between 75-78, it was definately below par.

And no, it wasn't a good seller.

As far as i can see, didn't even reach 1 million.

Do you have a source for Killzone sales? I always thought it did well, especially in Europe (by looking how fast it got a platinum release).

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the fact that GG are doing a talk at the Develop conference in Brighton. Showing off there deferred lighting stuff for Killzone PS3.

Its in the latest copy of Develop if you want to get some more info. Read it this morning before heading off to work.

^^ Thanks for the heads-up DeanoC

Edit: Can someone (with the magazine) post some snippets or comments from the GG interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Thanks for the heads-up DeanoC

Edit: Can someone (with the magazine) post some snippets or comments from the GG interview.

Its not an interview just a little blurb about the talk...

When I get home I'll add some more info (like names and details)... I'm crap at these things at the best of time (and early saturday morning is never the best of times ;-) )

Its not an interview just a little blurb about the talk...

When I get home I'll add some more info (like names and details)... I'm crap at these things at the best of time (and early saturday morning is never the best of times ;-) )

Thanks DeanoC! :smile:

Slider said:

Slider I’ve already seen that; but thanks anyhow.

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the fact that GG are doing a talk at the Develop conference in Brighton. Showing off there deferred lighting stuff for Killzone PS3.

Its in the latest copy of Develop if you want to get some more info. Read it this morning before heading off to work.

It means no AA for KZ PS3. :cry: If I understand well, only DX10 hardware can do MSAA with deferred shading rendering. Maybe, they can attenuate a bit the aliasing with postprocessing.

Wait and see the demo at E3.

It means no AA for KZ PS3. :cry: If I understand well , only DX10 hardware can do MSAA with deferred shading rendering. Maybe, they can attenuate a bit the aliasing with postprocessing.

Thats true, but GG are clever devs and maybe they have found a way to mask the jaggies well :)

It means no AA for KZ PS3. :cry: If I understand well , only DX10 hardware can do MSAA with deferred shading rendering. Maybe, they can attenuate a bit the aliasing with postprocessing.

What does DX10 have to do with anything (especially with the PS3)? :???:

Yes, RSX comes from an NVIDIA based IP linage that’s tuned/optimized for Direct X based games. However people tend to forget; PS3 has its own compilers, languages, API’s, ETC…for the Cell/RSX to create things to fit the PS3 needs.

What does DX10 have to do with anything (especially with the PS3)? :???:

Yes, RSX comes from an NVIDIA based IP linage that’s tuned/optimized for Direct X based games. However people tend to forget; PS3 has its own compilers, languages, API’s, ETC…for the Cell/RSX to create things to fit the PS3 needs.

It is a limitation of all the hardware before DX 10 hardware.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5485/drdrvb8.png

They will probably use blur for mask aliasing. Like you said, it will not be a jaggies fest like on PS2. And deffered shading is good for complex ligthing.

It means no AA for KZ PS3. :cry: If I understand well, only DX10 hardware can do MSAA with deferred shading rendering.
I think that was UE3.0 saying their engine, deferred lighting, couldn't work with AA on XB360 in GeOW. I don't know what changes can be made, what differences the hardware makes (probably none between Xenos and RSX but you, or at least me, never know), and such that a deferred lighting model can't use any AA at all. I don't know if a developer set out to create a deferred renderer on PS3 with a view to AA, using Cell as well as RSX, whether they could or couldn't pull it off.

Found this article by our own DeanoC from 3 years ago on this very subject of deferred lighting. Too busy to read at the mo', but it might shed some light, and there'll be extra considerations about how Cell may or may not help - the article itself appears to be GPU only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back