Rings of Red

.... They also are sending a bigger box than normal, so I can include the power adapter and cable (it may be damaging the unit, since it's never been replaced).

geez you'd think they would have considered that after maybe the 3rd or 4th time.

enjoy your new one!

I still have had no problems with mine.

The first two times the console died, it was plugged into Surge Protector #1.

I then moved (across the country), it's plugged into Surge Protector #2 now (An APC, I think it's this one: http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=PH8VT3)

It's the same surge protector my entire home theatre is plugged into, including my PS2 (and subsequently PS3), Wii, receiver, TV. And also my cable modem and wireless router. I've never had any issues with the other devices. This outlet is also on its own circuit.

I'll see if I can do that...but power outlets are at a premium at my apartment, I'm not sure it'll be possible to dedicate an entire outlet to it without running an extension cord throughout the apartment. ;)

I don't see why many a CE product works okay with surge protectors where XB360 wouldn't. As the article says (with just a brief glance by me) the PSU is supposed to be regulating the supply of power. The protector is only there to stop the PSU being overwhelmed. If it's the mains power going into the box that's killing XB360s, it's more likely the fault of the PSU MS are supplying.

Some people who had RRoDed 360s for months and when they requested change of PSU it stopped completely :smile:

360 seems rushed in every component. Nonetheless, I am picking up an elite for 220GBP! I missed 360 so much for 6 months. ;)

Mine is on its way to Germany. Twenty one work days they said it would take, an today is the fifteenth day...

I missed Bioshock, but I hope not to miss Halo 3.

Okay, I know it sounds stupid, but have you guys heard about this "towel trick"? Apparently this actually works for some people. If so, any ideas as to how?
http://thexboxdomain.net/2007/01/15/the-towel-trick-fixes-360s/

I found that if you type "towel trick" into google (with or without quotes), the first several pages worth of results will all be related to reviving a dead 360 with a towel, including this:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=towel+trick

By the way, I don't know if this has always been the case, but it seems that MS is assigning new serial numbers and manufacture dates to the refurbished consoles they're sending out as replacements. The replacement unit they sent me on Oct. 31st had a "manufacture" date of 10/16/07, but no hdmi port. Apparently quite a few people have been getting these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't sound very safe. My initial feeling is that even if it does work, doesn't that put the rest of the internal components at risk of failing? I think that people have theorized that the heat build up actually "resolders" the failed connection. I thought that most computing products preferred to be as cool as possible. ;)

It couldn't really get THAT hot could it? I'm not mr. Wizard, but wouldn't the plastic melt first?
Anyway, it does kind of sound like a pretty good way to burn the house down.

Well I just got hit. Will be 2 years in August. Disappointed as I bought ODST just to play the Beta, not to mention out of Netflix (netbook) and general gaming. Boo!

Good thing there is a 3yr replacement. It won't take too long & you'll be back to gaming in no time.

Knock on wood. I'm almost 1 yr in on my Elite.

Tommy McClain

Sorry to hear that Josh. Sucks!

Good thing there is a 3yr replacement. It won't take too long & you'll be back to gaming in no time.

Which will still be too late for the Halo: Reach beta.

Back