AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008062435869414441b7e7es6.jpg

http://bbs.chiphell.com/viewthread.php?tid=25353&extra=page=1

<$150?

Those sections are about getting operands into the ALUs, describing the porting, ordering, interactions and how operand fetching can be manipulated for maximum utilisation.
Sure, but that's after a batch/clause is already loaded. It doesn't really affect the A and B designs any differently.

If anything, the presence of temp registers confirm the feasibity of design B and its ability to have dependent ops in an instruction group. Moreover, a group of dependent ops will generally need less register access than parallel ops.

So HD4690 is RV770 with coarse-grained memory redundancy. Much like GTX260, but with a much more severe reduction in memory. If ATI can only turn off half of the MCs (and L2s and RBEs), instead of a quarter, then it looks like NVidia is ahead on "fine-grained MC redundancy".

Jawed

Crap, I knew I should've waited for the 4870 scores before I ordered a 4850. :???:
The 4870 benchies look fantastic.

Oh well, I hope my 4850 OC's well enough. At least it was cheap. :smile:

Yeah the GT200 cards are now officially in no man's land price/performance wise. I don't get why the Radeons are running so hot though...smaller process and fewer transistors.

It's probably because powerplay isn't supported yet

wasn't it supposed to come with 8.7?

I don't get why the Radeons are running so hot though...smaller process and fewer transistors.
HD4850 has very slow fan speeds it seems.

What I don't get is why the drivers out there, including hotfix for HD4850, are apparently not making the most of the fan speed and Power Play. Indeed, if RV770 is supposed to be super-intelligent about power consumption, why is it idling so hot and not clocking down very far?

As for GTX260, well it looks dead. I'm suspicious about NVidia's driver quality, surely there's latent performance - even if it has been up and running for a few months.

Jawed

ATI has a lot to come, they dont need to fear G200b.

And wait till u see HD4870 w/ new drivers and a lill bit OC, u will be impressed for shure.

HD4850 has very slow fan speeds it seems.

What I don't get is why the drivers out there, including hotfix for HD4850, are apparently not making the most of the fan speed and Power Play. Indeed, if RV770 is supposed to be super-intelligent about power consumption, why is it idling so hot and not clocking down very far?

As for GTX260, well it looks dead. I'm suspicious about NVidia's driver quality, surely there's latent performance - even if it has been up and running for a few months.

Jawed

The heat issues that the HD4800 series are currently experiencing, are much like the issues the HD3800's were having: Fan speeds were set too low, and there some quirks in the drivers that needed patching.

Remember how ATI released BIOS updates to increase fan speeds on HD3870's, because enthusiasts were concerned over temperatures?

Anyway I'm sold on the HD4870 (2 of them in fact). After seeing how well they perform against G200, I'm utterly gobsmacked at how well DAAMiT have turned the ship around since R600. I mean, we're talking about a $299 card sometimes going head-to-head with a $649 card!

This is exactly what enthusiasts and potential PC gamers need--incredible bang for the buck.

Ouch? Another price drop on the 260?

Hmm how much can they drop the price on these cards? The BOM is around $220 or so

something seems to be very wrong with the gt200 series, could be drivers, its not offering that much increase in performance for what it has under the hood. It is using a new code base for its drivers, so that might be the cause, but I'm skeptical

Hmm how much can they drop the price on these cards? The BOM is around $220 or so

something seems to be very wrong with the gt200 series, could be drivers, its not offering that much increase in performance for what it has under the hood. It is using a new code base for its drivers, so that might be the cause, but I'm skeptical

I thought it'll compete very well. Make up your mind, will ya. Oh, and wasn't it supposed to be 3X faster than the GX2?Wasn't the 4870 supposed to be far slower than even the GT260?Complicated business this insider impersonation activity is.

I thought it'll compete very well. Make up your mind, will ya. Oh, and wasn't it supposed to be 3X faster than the GX2?Wasn't the 4870 supposed to be far slower than even the GT260?Complicated business this insider impersonation activity is.

read what I said just 3 pages back, what happened to CJ's 25% over the GTX, yah know things changed darastically over the past month and half. You were talking about Crysis without AA right? take a look at that review, these cards are neck and neck without AA, with AA guess what as I said the radeon pulls ahead. Yeah know Morgoth, go do some reviews, I'm sure you rape donkeys.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back