Your opinion of Panzer Dragoon Orta?

This is your first Panzer Dragoon experience? That's ashame, as PD 1 and Zwei easily beat S64 in almost every way except for graphics on the Saturn. And even then the game was using more polygons at least.

But the overall game atmosphere in PDO brings back a lot of the old games. The music is incredible as usual, the graphics outclass mostly everything on the Xbox, and the gameplay trounces the graphics in all ways. It's a game you can sit down and play and not have to think about each little detail to enjoy it. Just sit there and relax. And it's not the easiest of games. Now I wanna see what team can do with a sequel that wasn't originally on the Dreamcast.

The distorted reflection that you see in the waterfalls in episode 2 where you're flying along the wall face is very cool though.

Overall PDO = :oops: x 10.

And it's a good game to boot. Comparisons with games other than PD are silly so I'll just leave it at that. PDO is an awesome game on its own terms.

Blade said:
The favored excuse of anti-Nintendo folks worldwide. Nostalgia doesn't do a damned thing to me.. :?

I love these shooters, but SF64 felt better to play. Is that okay with you? I love my first real Panzer Dragoon experience.. it's actually not all that similar to Nintendo's as I thought it would be. The strategy of switching between forms and manuevering around bosses is something you won't find in Star Fox or SF64. PDO is a great game and probably the best game released in January on any system; definitely the best Xbox game since Splinter Cell. IMHO, though.. SF64 is more fun. Alrighty then..

Nostalgia is 5% of being an Xbox fan, 35% of being a Ps2 fan, and 95% of being a Nintendo fan :LOL:

Heh. Relax Blade. I respect your opinion when you say that SF64 felt better to play. It's definitely a good shooter, and I can see how some might prefer its simpler play style to Panzer. However, I think that saying that SF64 is a better game than Orta is a little absurd. It's like those people who said that Goldeneye was still a better game than Halo back when Halo came out.

Yes, these games might have been better, relative to when they came out. On an absolute scale of gameplay and technology? Not a chance. Although even in reviews Orta has been getting better scores than Star Fox 64 got at the time of its release ;)

zurich said:
Too bad there's no reflection of the dragon/orta on episode 2's river :(

It's odd, because in the old movies of the river valley there is a reflection. And furthermore in Iva's river section there are reflections.

They must have had to get rid of them in that particular situation to preserve the 60 frames per second :(

On an absolute scale of gameplay and technology? Not a chance

Technology, yeah. Gameplay.. no. They're actually kinda different in this way.. making it impossible for direct comparisons.

Anyways.. from what I've read about Zwei, Orta is a minor upgrade in gameplay.. like going from SF to SF64..

Or so you hear. Orta brings a lot of new things to the table to make it differ from Zwei. It's much different and the play mechanics differ somewhat, but don't wander off from the tried and true Panzer Dragoon formula. And dealing with the reception of the game and if it sells well, we should end up seeing a sequel to it.....of course. But then we can continue with another RPG also.

Sonic: Hehe, yeah.. I'd definitely like to see more Panzer Dragoon.. especially in RPG form. Saga is so.. fabled!

I'd love to experience a good Panzer Dragoon RPG!

I wish Planet Harrier was coming to home console. That game looked so fun.

Blade said:
Technology, yeah. Gameplay.. no. They're actually kinda different in this way.. making it impossible for direct comparisons.

Anyways.. from what I've read about Zwei, Orta is a minor upgrade in gameplay.. like going from SF to SF64..

Oh, c'mon now. The differences are pretty minimal. Star Fox 64 has a few limited "free-roaming" sections. But other than that both are rail-shooters. I think it almost BEGS for a direct comparison 8)

Zwei and SF64 were pretty much even in my book, with SF64 slightly-better because it was 1) longer and 2) had better visuals. Orta is a longer, prettier version of Zwei with deeper gameplay. By default, I'd say it's better than Star Fox 64. And like I said before, the reviewers generally are agreeing with my opinion :D

I just rented.. haven't put a lot of time in it, only on episode 4. The game is HARD as shit! I'm a pretty seasoned gamer, and even I had to put it on easy to save myself from pure and utter frustration!

I dont like the made up language at all though, they should have just stuck to Japanese.

Game is pretty solid though, I'd like to clock some more hours into it before I take it back, but Two Towers had a pretty strong reception over here this weekend :( (my buddy can't stand rail shooters) Hopefully I'll atleast get to Ep 7 or so.

Zurich: Yep, it's a very tough game. I initially tried out Normal mode and couldn't even beat the first boss.. so I went to Easy and Episode 1 was too easy. Not good. Fortunately, the difficulty ramps up in later levels on all difficulty modes.. :)

I think I'm more experienced now that I'm at around Episode 8 or 9. I'll probably replay this game on Normal after I beat it.

You gotta love shooters.. lots of replay value. My brother beat Star Fox 64 20+ God damned times..

How does the game compare to the demo? This game was one of my most anticipted titles for the XBox this year and then I tried the demo which had me anticipating terminal illness more(good god did it suck :devilish: :cry: ).

I hear comments that the game is difficult so I'm assuming that that has changed a staggering amount from the retarded quadripelegic blind inbred ape without hands could beat it first time through demo? My oldest son picked(who was six at the time) it up and whipped through the demo and was asking if you could die in the game.

The demo was in every way shape and form a major letdown for me, even the visuals were well below my expectations. The gameplay was insanely simplistic, simply switch forms at the right time and there was no challenge. Enemies were bland an uninventive not to mention stupid, control mechanics of the game were very sluggish, level design was the poorest I've ever seen in a 3D rail shooter(and that takes some doing).

I'm a big fan of rail shooters and my son is a huge fan of the genre(his favorite by far), is the game something completely different from the demo? Reading the reviews it seems like they are saying it is the exact same thing except they like it. I find it hard to believe anyone could remotely connect 'good' with what the demo was like. I see Ozy is really liking the game and I know our tastes tend to run fairly close so I'm hoping it something very different and worth the time to drive to the store and pick it up.

Ben try actually playing the game.go rent it or something. I don't know what your expectations were, but obviously they were VERY unrealistic if you were let down as much as you say. I don't really understand how you could anticipate the game so much and then play a demo and complain about it's gameplay mechanics, when those mechanics haven't really changed that much in, in years.

If you didn't like the demo, then I'd suggest not buying the game. It's a damn hard challenging game.

The demo level is Level 1.. an easy level on every difficulty mode. Only the boss gave me trouble in Normal mode.. but I had just started playing and didn't read the manual. Didn't play a Panzer Dragoon game for like 6-7 years beforehand, too.

Ben, you should also try playing Rez, now that you have PS2. Then again, I guess you have played it already on the Dreamcast if you are a fan of on-rail shooters.

Amazing game, IMO, and often slammed by PD fans, but the experience it offers is very different, and very, very good. Although, it's gameplay mechanics are simpler compared to PDO, it generates excitement and enjoyment like few games I've ever played :)

Btw, Ben, I agree with you. Demo of PDO was a pretty big letdown. It managed to somewhat lessen my excitement about the game. However, the final game (that I have yet to play past level 2 - too much time wasted on the internet) is much harder, and second level is nicer looking IMO. Music pretty much sucks throughout the game (I have OST) and is the only thing that is still a letdown. Graphics haven't changed from the demo, but you should at least see level 2 before you decide if you like them or now. I think they are very impressive. I put a lot of weight into a 60FPS framerate which I know you don't care much about, though.

Agreed, the demo was very "blah", but the actual game is something to behold. Clearly this was a labour of love for Smilebit, and it really shows through. My buddy and I are on Episode 9 now, and its truly amazing.. from the visuals, to gameplay, to even the story. That one episode where your dragon is wounded and is crawling on all fours is something to behold! :p (so cute!)

So yeah, Ben, I HIGHLY suggest atleast renting it. I really hope this game sells well.. of the two titles we rented, I'd much like to see more PDO's in the market than Two Towers :)

This whole game is basically a steep crescendo, it starts of sort of slow, and ramps very very quickly, both in difficulty to overall satisfaction/enjoyment.

edit: oh ya, and this is certainly a showcase title for the Xbox's DD5.1 capabilities! It sounds incredible!

BenSkywalker said:
How does the game compare to the demo? This game was one of my most anticipted titles for the XBox this year and then I tried the demo which had me anticipating terminal illness more(good god did it suck :devilish: :cry: ).

I hear comments that the game is difficult so I'm assuming that that has changed a staggering amount from the retarded quadripelegic blind inbred ape without hands could beat it first time through demo? My oldest son picked(who was six at the time) it up and whipped through the demo and was asking if you could die in the game.

The demo was in every way shape and form a major letdown for me, even the visuals were well below my expectations. The gameplay was insanely simplistic, simply switch forms at the right time and there was no challenge. Enemies were bland an uninventive not to mention stupid, control mechanics of the game were very sluggish, level design was the poorest I've ever seen in a 3D rail shooter(and that takes some doing).

I'm a big fan of rail shooters and my son is a huge fan of the genre(his favorite by far), is the game something completely different from the demo? Reading the reviews it seems like they are saying it is the exact same thing except they like it. I find it hard to believe anyone could remotely connect 'good' with what the demo was like. I see Ozy is really liking the game and I know our tastes tend to run fairly close so I'm hoping it something very different and worth the time to drive to the store and pick it up.

The demo was a screw-up. It is the first level of the game on what is basically easy difficulty, without the cutscenes or finalized enemy entrances. The second level in the game is much more difficult, and the difficulty ramps pretty smoothly until the end (although I found Ep8 boss to be harder than the last boss). Many people will find Normal too hard. I beat it in Easy first, then in Normal. Still haven't beaten it in Hard. Trust me, you'll find that you're dying perhaps even on Easy until you learn the patterns and the gameplay systems.

I definitely recommend Orta. It leverages the natural strengths of rail shooters to provide some moments that are just breathtaking :D The game plays fantastically, the graphics are amazing, the sound is good, etc. Particularly worth mentioning is the art and style of the game, which maintains the feel of the previous games but also takes its own direction and doesn't copy them.

My gripes with it are more in relation to the other games in the series rather than any problems with the game itself. In my opinion (and I've always felt like this with the series) the best parts are the natural outdoor areas. Orta has too few of these, and you'll wish that there were more of them. The music is another thing. It's great, but it's the weakest of four games in the series.

I think that if your son likes rail shooters, he'll love Panzer Dragoon Orta. It's the best game in the genre, easily. I will say that one of the extra scenarios might be a little bit disturbing for a child his age, however. It deals the main character and the dragon from a different perspective, and highlights aspects of the game world that are a little shocking.

edit: oh ya, and this is certainly a showcase title for the Xbox's DD5.1 capabilities! It sounds incredible!
Uh, I very much disagree with this. Sound effects in PDO are really nothing special. Even the strongest explosions and loudest sounds, sound somehow wrong, 'metalized' and empty. Halo is still the best 5.1 showcase on the Xbox.

marconelly! said:
Uh, I very much disagree with this. Sound effects in PDO are really nothing special. Even the strongest explosions and loudest sounds, sound somehow wrong, 'metalized' and empty. Halo is still the best 5.1 showcase on the Xbox.

Mix the swooshes of the narrowly avoided missles, with the explosions and shots coming from all around you (due to the game's 360 degree nature), and its much more impressive than any other game imo.

Back