Your 2H 2008 Gaming Calendar and Budget

Games to Buy List for 2008

I did this last year, and it's definitely time to do it again this year, because there's a LOT of games coming up. I'm just starting the thread now so I won't forget it. Have to go to bed. I'm going to put all the releases in here that I'll consider buying.

Mine will be PAL based:

PSN Games:

- Most of them, I'm guessing. Definitely Wipeout, and very likely Burnout on PSN as well.

Week of 12 September:
- Rock Band PS3 --- MAYBE

Apparently my GH3 guitar will be supported and lots of downloadable songs day one, so I could just buy the disc for now and wait for the new improved instruments for the other games to appear. EDIT: may be worth it for importing the music into Rock Band 2 eventually. For now though, I think I'll wait and save the money to get Guitar Hero.

Somewhere October
- Pacific Rift --- PROBABLY. EDIT: It's starting to look mighty fine, and it appears the motion controls are still in there. And it seems excellent split-screen material.
- Sacred 2 --- DUNNO. Has to look good, that's what I like in these kinds of games as much as anything else. I loved details in Champions of Norrath such as being able to shoot arrows into bear-like creatures and they stuck in there until and even after they fall down dead.
- Bioshock PS3 --- DUNNO. Probably not, or I'd have played it on 360 already. It's hard to convince myself of not playing a 10/10 game though. There's a demo coming, I'll play that and decide then.

Must have this game with split-screen, for 'non-gamer' party fun with the sixaxis alone.

Week of 26 October
- Little Big Planet --- BUY. Got the beta now. Must have this game so much I might not need any of the others this year lol.

No need to explain this one.

Week of 04?? November
- Resistance 2 --- EDIT: BUY. It looks wonderful and like something that just can't be missed.

2008 ??
- Guitar Hero World Tour --- VERY PROBABLY. If the review is positive about the instruments, then I'll very likely get it.
- Mirror's Edge --- WAIT FOR DEMO

Actually, so far it may be not as bad as I thought, and I may end up buying the same amount of games during the 'hot' season as last year or even less.

360:
Live Arcade
- not sure yet.

Disc based games
- Fable 2: MAYBE. Will need to read some final reviews at least. If they are unquestionably glowing and convince me that this is a game I will personally enjoy a lot, I'll get it.

360:
Rock Band 2
Fable 2
Fallout 3
Banjo
Gears 2

Maybe on the 360:
Fallout 3
Mirrors Edge
GTA 4 DLC

PS3 maybe:
Resistance 2

Wii:
Nothing. < not a game.

• Dead Space - Looks like a decent game. I like horror games.
  • Duke Nukem 3D - maybe... probably...
  • Fable II - I had fun with the first game.
  • Gears of War 2 - not sure if I'll get the special edition. Maybe...
  • Guitar Hero: World Tour - Just the software.
  • Rock Band 2 - Just the software. I will likely rent or borrow the RB1 disc from a friend and buy the song transfer too.
  • Tomb Raider Underworld - 360 edition.
I guess not too much has changed from my original post except for a couple titles not being released at all. :p (Project Origin moved to 2009, Riddick is a no-show). Red Alert 3, I'll get it later when I have time for it.

Threads Merged

No 2008 title for me. I will just buy last year's games that I haven't played and their prices are good now.

Assassin's Creed and maybe one more.

Party:
Buzz!
SingStar ABBA

First person:
Resistance 2 (pre-ordered)
Mirror's Edge
Bioshock

Adventure:
Valkyria Chronicles
Naruto: Ulitmate Ninja Storm
Prince of Persia
Tomb Raider (may delay purchase to Jan 2009)
[Infamous is a 2009 title right ?]

Racing:
MotorStorm 2 (getting it just to continue duels with friends here)

Others
LittleBigPlanet (pre-ordered)
Afrika (may wait to see if SCEA brings it to US)

... haven't bought any BR game since MGS4 and Burnout Paradise (bought 2-3 BR movies). I keep telling myself that.

EDIT: Forgot about Socom and headset. Depends on how much they charge, I might get it for the hardware.

I preordered Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts since it's only $40 and comes with free original Banjo-Kazooie as a bonus, so it seems like a great deal even if it doesn't turn out to be a AAA title. Other than that, I'll wait for opinions on games after they're released.

May as well update my list now:

Last few weeks:
Too Human
Infinite Undiscovery

September:
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (yes!)
Star Wars: TFU (waiting for reviews)

October:
Fable 2
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Mirror's Edge

November:
Left 4 Dead
Gears of War 2
Mirror's Edge
Prince of Persia
Banjo: Nuts + Bolts
The Last Remnant

Tales of Vesperia was delayed until '09 for PAL. That's not such a bad thing, looking at that list !

Buzz Quiz TV
SOCOM
Bioshock PS3
Singstar Vol.2
LittleBigPlanet
Fat Princess
Resistance 2
Wipeout HD
Motorstorm 2
Ghostbusters

Maybe...PoP and Fallout 3

Maybe Gears of War 2 (hoping for content filters... sems everyone will be playing this online).

A slight eye on Brother in Arms 3.
Xim360... to turn the console into a PC so I can actually enjoy console shooters :yep2:

Gears of War 2, Fable 2 and Fallout 3 are the only 100% quaranteed titles that I'm going to buy, but most likely there will be some others as well. Probably atleast one game for PS3 also, probably Resistance and oh yeah R&C Quest for Booty at some point also.

I've already picked up Fable 2, Too Human, Saints Row 2, LBP, Wipeout HD and Motorstorm PR. I'll get R2 tomorrow and that will be it for the year for me. I'm hoping to score Gears 2 via a friend with a MS connection. The rest will wait for a sale or trade.

My ability to play these game is far outstripped by the sheer number of them. So far the game that has most surprised me is Motorstorm, too bad it's going under people's radar.

NG2
MGS4
GTA4
Crysis Warhead
Stalker Clear Sky
Spore
Far Cry 2
Fallout 3
Flatout Ult. Carnage
LBP
Resistance 2
Gears 2
Fable 2
COD 5
Banjo 3
Infinite Und.
Age of Conan
Dead Space
Silent Hill
Tales of Vesperia
Wipeout HD
Socom
PoP

Damn infernal high price of 2008 library. Been a great year for gaming none the less.

I didn't post up my list, but I picked up Saint's Row 2, LBP, SOCOM and Fable 2 in the last few weeks. Will still get Valkyria Chronicles, waiting to see if I can get a cheaper import on Tales of Vesperia, and will still get Mirror's Edge and maybe Naruto. I may wait a bit for Gears, since all I want it for is coop and I haven't been able to meet with my friends lately.

Gears of War 2, Fable 2 and Fallout 3 are the only 100% quaranteed titles that I'm going to buy, but most likely there will be some others as well. Probably atleast one game for PS3 also, probably Resistance and oh yeah R&C Quest for Booty at some point also.

Well I also bought Fifa 09, Dead Space, Far Cry 2, Wipeout HD and I'm going to get C&C Red Alert 3 also.

MGS4 - pre-ordered through amazon.ca, can't wait.

Resistance 2 - loved the first, can't wait for the second

Orange Box - or at least EP2 as i already have EP1 and HL2 and don't really care for TF2

Guitar Hero 4 - finally got to try rock band and i enjoyed it more than i thought. the drums in GH4 look way better though.

Far Cry 2 - looks great visually, but i'm going to see if the gameplay matches.

Project Origin - enjoyed FEAR, so i might pick this up too.

Chronicles of Riddick - big maybe... actually, probably won't pick this up, but its on my radar.

BF BC - demo was ok. i might pick this up if it turns out to be good. edit: tried the multiplayer and it was really fun.

BioShock - from what i've seen, it doesn't interest me too much. but if its priced lower when it releases on PS3, i might consider it.

edit: RE5 if it makes 2008 :)
Update.

MGS4 - Bought it, loved it.
Resistance 2 - Bought it, loved it.
Orange Box - Waiting for EP3
Guitar Hero World Tour - Probably gonna get RB2 instead. Bought GH3 though.
Far Cry 2 - Bought it, hated it, sold it.
Project Origin - Delayed
Riddick - Delayed?
Battlefield Bad Company - Skipped
BioShock - Skipped, at least for now.
CoD WaW is another game I bought that didn't make the list.

I've just bought a Wii so I'm looking at games for that (Shaun Whites snowboarding with the Wii Fit board is just insanley good fun!).

I've already stocked up with games:

PS3:

Fallout 3
Resistance 2
MotorStorm 2
MGS4
DMC4
I've just traded in The Darkness, Tomb Raider, and a few others.

360:

Halo 3 - completed
GoW 2 - completed
Fable 2

Wii:

Shaun Whites
Mario Galaxy

PC:
BioShock
FarCry 2

Next on hit list:

Killzone 2
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Uncharted 2

I tend to buy every game as it comes out, but that is getting a bit expensive!

Back