you know you've played too many games when....

notAFanB

Veteran
you find yourself admiring the 'graphics' of reality around you.

you have to resist the urge to start opening peoples draws for items.

when reality doesn;'t look nearly as good as half life 2 8)

you start inserting emoticons while conversing with friends.

When you are constantly falling asleep

When you are scared of sunlight

When you don't eat, or even don't realise you're hungry

:LOL:

Makes me think of a RealLife comic where they were on a cliff looking at the sunset, and Dave said "Look! You can see the Clipping Plane from here!" (Horizon)

You know you play to many games when you walk into a store and can tell the clerks when any tittle on any system is due out .

Often I look at real life 'effects' and compare them to effects in games.

When I was boating on a lake the other day, I couldn't help thinking 'You could never do that kind of effect with bump mapping, but with enough polygons, a capable physics engine and specular lighting it would get very close. In games the water is often much too transparent, real life you can hardly see anythin bleow because of the small waves and relfections.'

When I was driving a car at night on the town, I was thinking 'Those headlights do not project a defined light cone as in some games, there is so much diffused lighting in town that the headlights are more just a 'star shaped lens flare' kind of effect like in GT3.
And when it started raining, and the raindrops started making those little streams across the car windows I thought how much better the effect looks in Silent Hill 3 :D.

That scene is btw one of my favorite scenes in any game (ICO's ending (before the 'beach ending') being the other contender for no.1 spot), it is so moody and beautiful and sad. I've always loved the feeling when you're driving a car at night on an empty road, then it starts to rain a little and the only sounds you hear are the engine and the sound of windscreen wipers, there's something soothing and hypnotic in it...
Joni Mitchell's 'Night Ride Home' sums it up athmospherically quite nicely, (although it is not raining in that song.)

rabidrabbit said:
Often I look at real life 'effects' and compare them to effects in games.

When I was boating on a lake the other day, I couldn't help thinking 'You could never do that kind of effect with bump mapping, but with enough polygons, a capable physics engine and specular lighting it would get very close. In games the water is often much too transparent, real life you can hardly see anythin bleow because of the small waves and relfections.'

When I was driving a car at night on the town, I was thinking 'Those headlights do not project a defined light cone as in some games, there is so much diffused lighting in town that the headlights are more just a 'star shaped lens flare' kind of effect like in GT3.
And when it started raining, and the raindrops started making those little streams across the car windows I thought how much better the effect looks in Silent Hill 3 :D.

That scene is btw one of my favorite scenes in any game (ICO's ending (before the 'beach ending') being the other contender for no.1 spot), it is so moody and beautiful and sad. I've always loved the feeling when you're driving a car at night on an empty road, then it starts to rain a little and the only sounds you hear are the engine and the sound of windscreen wipers, there's something soothing and hypnotic in it...
Joni Mitchell's 'Night Ride Home' sums it up athmospherically quite nicely, (although it is not raining in that song.)

oh my god, i was going to post my thoughts on that scene. it is by far the best representation of real time graphics capabilities on PS2 at least, and as far as i'm concerned on other consoles too. shame for non-ps2 owners to miss this gem, it deserves to be seen by EVERYONE and i dont think other consoles should have too much trouble replicating those graphics, given the time to work around architectural differences...
some of the effects might even end up looking better on Xbox thanx to its pixel shaders, oh and lets not forget that the sometimes uglyish vertex-based flashlight light would become a pretty pixel-based light...
anyway,yeah i was looking at that car scene and also other scenes in the game and i just thought "hell my ps2 is gonna blow up in a minute" :LOL:

... when you are in the kitchen and you always instinctively pick up the biggest and sharpest knife, while whistling the Silent Hill theme

... when you look at a stairway, while thinking "could use some anti-aliasing, that jaggeed mess"

... when you drive on the wrong side of the road to fill up your burnout bar

... when you constantly jump to hit the ceiling with your fist, in order to extract mushrooms from the bricks

... when I forgot to do something important and the first thought that comes to mind: nevermind, I'll just do a reload.

when you keep trying to 'save' your progress before you run an errand.

when you sorta keep glancing out the corner of your eye at the health (before slapping yourself).

...when you're in the car driving through the fog you're thankful that at least for now your framerate's picked up.

Back