You don't own an XBox360. Why?

You don't own an XBox360. Why?

• I'm just not interested in this console.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I don't think this is a reliable system / RROD.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I can play most of its exclusives on my PC.

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • The only thing I want from Microsoft is them to improve Windows.

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 19.6%

• Total voters
I have no x360 because I don't want to pay for it. But another reason is, I don't even have a TV, you got to have a PC, and the PC replaces everything. You don't have anymore to own a TV set, VCR, dvd player, CD player, cassette deck, a few consoles and the huge shelf space to store cassettes, disks, cartridges, cables, game controllers etc.

it's less fun though. It would be great to have gaming standards similar to consoles : console-like games, coming as a single big file, that can rely on a game controller present (minimal number of buttons and axes specified), with a few hardware tiers.

first tier : netbook-like or outdated specs (weak cpu, 256 or 512MB ram, weak gpu - require TnL at most)
second tier : fast single core or dual core, 1GB ram, half-half-decent SM3 GPU (the likes of x1650, 7600GT, 8500GT)
thierd tier : triple/quad core or fast dual core, 2GB, DX10/11 (min. 3850, 4670, 9600GT)

Have a software tool that let people know their tier, then sell games with tech and arts according to a choosen tier. Or have two versions included in a game (a bit like Stalker, static vs dynamic renderer).

The point would be, make it dead simple, put console-like constraints on developers : i.e. make the best game that can run at 30 or 60fps on any computer from tier X at 1024x768.
In that example the likes of Warcraft III and the Sims would be Tier 1 games, Starcraft II / Diablo III might be a Tier 2 games, "tech games" such as Crysis would be Tier 3 games. (or you might have no Tier 3 and let it freely require hardware, as high end PC games do)

I have no x360 because I don't want to pay for it. But another reason is, I don't even have a TV, you got to have a PC, and the PC replaces everything.
I dunno if I'm allowed to post in this thread, as some other 360 owners got shouted at (;)), but I didn't own a 360 for the same reason (except I had a big TV, but it wasn't an HDTV). But then I left the UK last year and I didn't have a PC any more, but my cousins and a couple of their friends had 360s, and there was generally a spare HDTV or monitor knocking around, and the Oz dollar was 1:1 with the US dollar, so I grabbed myself a cheap 20GB 360. And it's not been terrible. Wireless for an extra $30 (modified WRT54G) too. Just moved into a place with a 1080P HDTV and it's been useful for media as well as games, and I don't have any regret whatsoever over the purchase. I picked up two rechargeable battery packs for $12 and a $60 120GB hard drive too (I like to install all my games for speed/silence) - I dunno how people like fallguy are conned into paying high prices for everything, but I'm extremely tight with my money. ;)

But (more on-topic) had I not left the UK and abandoned my gaming rig, then the 360 would still be of very little interest to me. Lost Odyssey, Halo 3, Dead Rising, various vague maybe-want-to-haves... I could easily have waited until the 360 was attainable (eBay or whatever) for $99. :) So if I still had my PC, I wouldn't own a 360 now, due to PCs simply being kick-assier.

Voted "I'm just not interested in the console" and I guess that's as truthful as I can be.

www.xim360.com Works great. Ask Robert :p
Is it in any way better than XFPS? That thing was horrible as I said before. I find it a bit hard to believe it's even possible to make KB+mouse a viable controller for consoles because games have built-in "fixes" to make using regular controllers not so bad experience and they don't mix well with the way how mouse control is usually done.

I have no 360 (anymore) because the PS3 does almost everything the 360 can do plus a lot more (Blu-ray, Linux, wireless print server, chroma upscaling, web browsing, 7.1 LPCM audio, weather and news reports, lots of native 1080p games, able to view pics in native 1080p, etc).

Also, if I pay $60 for a game with multiplayer code on it, I don't want to pay an EXTRA fee just to unlock what's already on the disc. It seems like a horrible thing to do to a consumer.

Well, afters spending a bit of time in the other "Why you don't own a PS3" thread and since I have some time on my hands now, I thought I could elaborate on my earlier post, that might spark some constructive discussion as in the other topic:

Phil said:
Voted "I'm just not interested in the console" and I guess that's as truthful as I can be.

Let me start by saying: If their wasn't a PS3, I probably would own a X360 already. :smile:

So what does the PS3 do so much better in my eyes that makes it more attractive than the overall "cheaper with more games X360"?

1.) marketing / representation

When I look at the PS3, I look at something more than just a console. It's what SCE always marketed it would be. A computer entertainment system. While the X360 could very well be viewed as one as well (given the functionality matches that of the PS3), Microsoft certainly markets its console differently. Everything from how the X360 looks, the gamepad, the whole XMB, the marketing behind it just screams [expensive] toy or console. When I look at the PS3 however, it could just as easily be mistaken for a very expensive sleek... box of some kind. Most people that don't know what the PS3 is would probably mistake one at first glance for something entirely else, certainly not a machine to play games.

The design, while big, is unarguably very sleek. Even if it's placednext to high end equipment or fancy designer racks, it just looks right. It's not just a thing about how the case looks. When hooked up to a beamer or TV, it displays as much elegance as it does just sitting there on its own being powered off. In fact, I'd buy a PS3 even if it were just to use it solely as a standalone BRD player or to stream my contents over a mediaserver or browse the internet occasionally on the big screen. I wouldn't mind turning it on to play background music or videos when I have visitors over that don't play (or look down) at games. In fact, everyone I've showed the PS3 streaming things over my mediaserver and having the great music backgrounds (especially the planet earth/sun stuff) was immediately impressed and stunned. And the best thing is - it's not just the music player that impresses. Everything from the moment you turn it on from the "Sony Computer Entertainment" logo appearing to the sound it makes right up to the whole XMB impresses. Having it run over the projector displaying a screen size of roughly 120inch (diagonal) is great.

When I compare that to the X360 - regardless of console or XMB design, I cringe. It's colourful, bloated, packed with logos, tabs, etc. It's not comparable in any sense. It really looks dated - or simply like a console I guess.

Even the controller looks a bit clumsy (comfortable it very well may be) on the X360 and having it sit there in its grey/white finnish on my glass table draws far too much attention to its presence. Compared that to the sixaxis/dualshock that hardly draws any attention at all and despite it being a game controller, it's as sleek as the whole unit IMO. Maybe it's the size of the controller, or just the colour. It just fits.

Now to all you already wanting to respond, read the whole post first, because what counts is the sum of all factors.

2. pricing / value

While the Xbox360 is certainly cheaper, I don't like their pricing policy at all, not since day 1. I remember clearly when the Xbox360 launched in the US - either a HD less version for $299 or the version with HD and some stuff for $399. If you bought the Arcade version for the lowest price, you would be forced to buy either overpriced memorycards or harddrives at some time in the future. Even if a memorycard is included, it just isn't realistic to expect that to be sufficient over time and a with a handfull of games. When I look at what Microsoft charges for their accessories, I can't feel but being ripped-off.

Sure, you can say that the entry price point to start gaming is a lot lower. On the other hand, anyone that will take his hobby of playing games seriously will absolutely need to buy those expensive accessories - starting with either a harddrive or a larger memorycard. Once they do, those very people will end up spending more than if they had bought the $399 version in the first place.

Still, $399 to $499 for a PS3 is still a difference, but for that $100 you do get a BRD player and free online service included. Include that into the Xbox price plan (just the online service) and difference shrinks.

Even if you have to admit by the end of the day that the "gaming experience" is cheaper on the Xbox360, it's not a very large difference. If we stick to that $100 difference (which amounts to nearly 2 games or 25% more), it's a $100 difference over the course of what, 4 years? So in other words, $100 is $25 a year more or roughly $2 a month. Now how much does a live gold subscription cost over the course of 5 years? Even if you don't need it - having to spend $100 more initially isn't all that much over the period of 5 years IMO to make it a huge difference and favour one console over the other. Especially if you get free BRD thrown in there, not to mention HDMI output and potentially 1080p games.

3. Launch timing and the games

Before the PS3 launched, I was a PS2 owner so that certainly helped lure me back to Sony's console. Being of the gamers that loved the games associated with the Sony brand, I wasn't even going to consider the X360. Among my most played games on PS2, were the Final Fantasy series, Gran Turismo, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Metal Gear Solid, WipEout, GTA3, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil. Most of these games are not exclusive to the Sony brand anymore (some never were, like GTA), but at the time, getting those on a future PS3 was the best bet. I happen to love Japanese games too with the Xbox failing in Japan, the PS3 would be surely hard to beat.

Adding to that, that the PS2 was still giving me heaps of play time with new games such as Final Fantasy XII, I wasn't really interested in already upgrading.

Perhaps if I ignore my PS2 background and assume I'm in the market for a console today and without much gaming history, I think I would still buy the PS3 for the games. The exclusives interest me a lot more than the games that are exclusive to the Xbox360. While multiplatform games may be better on Microsofts console, the truth of the matter is, that multiplatform games haven't been my focus. At least the more popular 'high caliber' games that happen to be multiplatform have achieved more or less parity on both consoles, so there's neither an advantage or disadvantage in my eyes. The area where the PS3 still excels is with games such as Metal Gear Solid (part 4 was exclusive, or still is anyway), the new Final Fantasy was to be exclusive and if you may, the 1st and 2nd party titles such as Gran Turismo, WipEout and KillZone and anything from Naughty Dog / Insomniac (two devs I loved during the PS2 days).

Even if I ignore the PS3 game library, the only games that could get me interested in a Xbox would have to be Forza and perhaps Halo. All other games are either multiplatform or exclusive to the PS3. What else is there that could get a gamer with Sony history excited?

Then there's something that can not be overlooked: For the most part, I get the feeling Sony exclusive devs seem to try a lot more to get more out of their console than devs generally try on the Xbox. Maybe that's down to dev talent, maybe it's down to higher budgets - maybe it's down to Sony sharing more tech across the board that helps everyone more. What ever it is, I just get the sense that there are a lot more games that push the limits than on the X360. Namely KillZone2, Uncharted 2, Metal Gear Solid 4 (huge production values!).

Forza3 is a good step in the right direction though.

summary

Maybe this post is a bit pro PS3 but it does the things I value most so much better than the X360, that it had to be said. If I turn around and tackle this from a different angle, i.e. "what would Microsoft have to change to get you interested in a X360 or future console" - it would be along the lines "copy the direction Sony is taking and do it better".

- I want a sleak console that doesn't look like one but more like a high tech expensive entertainment system

- I want a sleak XMB, minimalistic in design that reaks of style and impresses when you turn it on

- I want great technology packed in there that will last at least 6 years

- It should be quiet enough to use in the living room

- I want japanese 3rd party support, family friendly games, great FPS and exclusives from team that try to get the most out of the console

- lots of Sony exclusive franchises (they should get Sony to sell them Guerrilla and Naughty Dog)

- no propriatery accessories - hd free of choice would be great, as well as memory cards as well as free online service (i'd happily pay more for the console to justify this)

I selected 'other' because TBH it's 'most of the above'.

I feel very let down by MS. I pre-ordered and got let down due to shortages. Then when I got a machine I couldn't get a SDTV lead...due to shortages.

I had to make do with a 15mtr ethernet lead running through my house untill I could finally manage to get hold of an exlusive and extremely overpriced wifi add-on.

I have had frustrations over live, having a family my kids want to play online with their friends - not @ ÂŁ30pm each they're not, so my online stats get screwed up! Then when my sub ran out while I was on holiday they automatically renwed it even tho I have a scratch-card ready for when I got back...that took 3 mnths and loads of phone-calls (and broken promises) to get refunded!

The overly noisey machine eventually died after 8mths (even tho I gave it good ventilation and treated it well) and I got it swapped out (by the shop).

Not a great impression.

I ended up selling when I got my PS3. The PS3 (launch JP unit) has (touch wood) been fine and served me very well thankyou very much...it has (IMHO) a much WIDER selection of games however I will rebuy an X360 again one day (maybe soon) to play the odd exclusive (offline only).

When I look at the PS3, I look at something more than just a console. It's what SCE always marketed it would be. A computer entertainment system. While the X360 could very well be viewed as one as well (given the functionality matches that of the PS3), Microsoft certainly markets its console differently. Everything from how the X360 looks, the gamepad, the whole XMB, the marketing behind it just screams [expensive] toy or console. When I look at the PS3 however, it could just as easily be mistaken for a very expensive sleek... box of some kind. Most people that don't know what the PS3 is would probably mistake one at first glance for something entirely else, certainly not a machine to play games.
Seriously? It looks like Digdug attacked a PS2. You can't stack anything on it, it gathers dust and fingerprints like magic, and it reminds me most of those overpriced and underperforming Bose sound systems. Not what I'd call a flattering comparison.
Even the controller looks a bit clumsy (comfortable it very well may be) on the X360 and having it sit there in its grey/white finnish on my glass table draws far too much attention to its presence. Compared that to the sixaxis/dualshock that hardly draws any attention at all and despite it being a game controller, it's as sleek as the whole unit IMO. Maybe it's the size of the controller, or just the colour. It just fits.
Um, you do know they make 360 controllers in black too, right? When I was using a PS3 for work stuff a while ago, I found that I couldn't stand the PS3 controller. It's ergonomics are just awful. It's top heavy and the little arms pointing down are just too small. It kept popping out of my hands like a watermelon seed. I admit I have reasonably big hands, but for ergonomics I think I'd have preferred the "banana" controller Sony first introduced before their fans laughed them down and forced them to be more conservative. Other things I don't like about the Sony controller: no replaceable battery, so when the controller runs down, you have to then be tethered to the console until it's recharged. For my 360, I have a standalone charger and 6 battery packs, so I never have to mess around when a controller battery goes flat. I just pop off the battery pack, switch it for one on the charger, and carry on gaming. Now admittedly this might be expensive (not for me, the company store was giving away battery packs with every xbox related purchase recently, I have a number of batteries still in their packaging) but it's a lot better than having your controller be not quite wireless.
While the Xbox360 is certainly cheaper, I don't like their pricing policy at all, not since day 1. I remember clearly when the Xbox360 launched in the US - either a HD less version for $299 or the version with HD and some stuff for $399. If you bought the Arcade version for the lowest price, you would be forced to buy either overpriced memorycards or harddrives at some time in the future. Even if a memorycard is included, it just isn't realistic to expect that to be sufficient over time and a with a handfull of games. When I look at what Microsoft charges for their accessories, I can't feel but being ripped-off.
I agree with you here, the acessories do seem overpriced, especially the hard drives. However, the market will drive the prices, if people aren't buysing something at a specific price, it will get lower.
Even if you have to admit by the end of the day that the "gaming experience" is cheaper on the Xbox360, it's not a very large difference. If we stick to that $100 difference (which amounts to nearly 2 games or 25% more), it's a $100 difference over the course of what, 4 years? So in other words, $100 is $25 a year more or roughly $2 a month. Now how much does a live gold subscription cost over the course of 5 years? Even if you don't need it - having to spend $100 more initially isn't all that much over the period of 5 years IMO to make it a huge difference and favour one console over the other. Especially if you get free BRD thrown in there, not to mention HDMI output and potentially 1080p games.
Except that people don't see it that way (obviously, from the sales figures). If I told you something cost $4 a month, that looks cheap. But if it's $48 a year? That looks a lot more expensive. Thus why the XBox approach is working so well. People see $199 and $399. They don't see $199 + X + Y + Z. X, Y and Z are optional costs that can be worked into later budgets. Their cost right now is $199. Add to the fact that the 360 has been out longer, has more games, and more importantly, more games at lower prices. things like Bioshock, Oblivion, and Gears of War, all under $30.

Also Every 360 for the last 2 years at least has had HDMI, and even my old non-hdmi one has 1080p games. Probably just as many as the PS3 has, I haven't looked lately. Doesn't actually seem to make that much of a visual difference.
Then there's something that can not be overlooked: For the most part, I get the feeling Sony exclusive devs seem to try a lot more to get more out of their console than devs generally try on the Xbox. Maybe that's down to dev talent, maybe it's down to higher budgets - maybe it's down to Sony sharing more tech across the board that helps everyone more. What ever it is, I just get the sense that there are a lot more games that push the limits than on the X360. Namely KillZone2, Uncharted 2, Metal Gear Solid 4 (huge production values!).

Forza3 is a good step in the right direction though.
The PS3 exclusive devs have done some impressive things, but in the long run, I'm not so sure it's better. Heavenly sword looked amazing, but it was a pretty crap game. Same for Lair. MGS4 had so much FMV it was practically a point and click adventure. There are similar examples on the 360, like Too Human. It's not all about HDR lighting and ridiculously high resolution textures. One of the best games this generation, in my opinion, has been Portal, and it is certainly not a technical masterpiece.
- I want great technology packed in there that will last at least 6 years
Um, that would be November 2011 for the 360. Are you implying it won't last another 2 years?
- It should be quiet enough to use in the living room
Got me there, although I only notice it when I'm just browsing the dashboard.
- I want japanese 3rd party support, family friendly games, great FPS and exclusives from team that try to get the most out of the console
Well, I'd say you'd have to get a 360 then, since we have more JRPGs, significant Japanese 3rd party support. the best FPS games (if sales numbers are anything to go by) and some amazing exclusive games like FM3, Alan Wake, Fable 2 and Kameo (one of the most underrated games this generation, I feel. amazing graphics, fun gameplay and it was a launch game)

You made some good points, and essentially you verified that you are indeed a PS3 type person. However, it's clear from some of your statements that you haven't actually used a 360 much, since you were unaware of some of it's capabilities.

In the end, which is going to sell more, the high end expensive Marantz AV processor, or the Denon that's half the price, but has more features and sound good enough that only a few people in the world could tell the difference?

I got my PC, which performs all my gaming needs and a whole lot more, and it just happens to be a nice, neat, easily portable laptop. I'm currently building a new desktop too, I really don't need a console. I do need a PC though.

bkilian said:
Seriously? It looks like Digdug attacked a PS2. You can't stack anything on it, it gathers dust and fingerprints like magic, and it reminds me most of those overpriced and underperforming Bose sound systems. Not what I'd call a flattering comparison.

I'm not a fan of Bose (or B&O for a great example of very expensive sub-par designer electronics), but I'd still much rather have any of their products among my hifi equipment than a X360, which was sort of my point. The PS3 just fits that role much better. This may not be an issue for 90% of the gaming populace, but then again, I wasn't speaking for them, but for myself. ;)

As for finger prints - never been a problem, as the only places I touch it are the buttons and even those, I can avoid by turning the console off/on using the controllers (I never do it any differently!) and rarely change the disk inside. Even that can be ejected using the controller...

bkilian said:
Um, you do know they make 360 controllers in black too, right? When I was using a PS3 for work stuff a while ago, I found that I couldn't stand the PS3 controller. It's ergonomics are just awful. It's top heavy and the little arms pointing down are just too small. It kept popping out of my hands like a watermelon seed. I admit I have reasonably big hands, but for ergonomics I think I'd have preferred the "banana" controller Sony first introduced before their fans laughed them down and forced them to be more conservative. Other things I don't like about the Sony controller: no replaceable battery, so when the controller runs down, you have to then be tethered to the console until it's recharged. For my 360, I have a standalone charger and 6 battery packs, so I never have to mess around when a controller battery goes flat. I just pop off the battery pack, switch it for one on the charger, and carry on gaming. Now admittedly this might be expensive (not for me, the company store was giving away battery packs with every xbox related purchase recently, I have a number of batteries still in their packaging) but it's a lot better than having your controller be not quite wireless.

Yeah, of course - but if I have to get my black controllers seperately, that kind of nullfies the other "X360 advantage", that being price. But to be honest, even the black one has its flaw. The buttons are colorful and then you have that ugly green Xbox logo right in the middle. I agree, color isn't probably the strongest argument and while this isn't the worlds biggest flaw, I do genuinely prefer the sleak black dualshock...

As for ergonomics: maybe my hands are crippled after being a PlayStation user for the past 12 years, but I do find it 'perfect'. Maybe my hands fit the size better. Strangely, the first PS controller with sticks that came out during the PlayStation days was a bit larger. I have no idea why they made the little arms smaller again.

There's one more thing that annoys me about the X360 controller: I absolutely can't stand the asymmetrical placing of the analog thumb sticks. I get that some find it more confortable like this, but I'd much rather have them in the same position on both sides. It just feels so much better playing first person shooters (IMO).

bkilian said:
Except that people don't see it that way (obviously, from the sales figures). If I told you something cost $4 a month, that looks cheap. But if it's $48 a year? That looks a lot more expensive. Thus why the XBox approach is working so well. People see $199 and $399. They don't see $199 + X + Y + Z. X, Y and Z are optional costs that can be worked into later budgets. Their cost right now is $199. Add to the fact that the 360 has been out longer, has more games, and more importantly, more games at lower prices. things like Bioshock, Oblivion, and Gears of War, all under $30.

Point taken and I agree. However, I am (fortunately) not one of those and inform myself well. There are others too that do the math, even some game stores (always depends in whos favour their selling though), but for the most part and as the selling curves show, most probably aren't.

The other thing about those games (Bioshock, Oblivion, Gears of War)... they might be great games, but for some odd reason, they just don't appeal to me as much as say MGS or other games do.

bkilian said:
In the end, which is going to sell more, the high end expensive Marantz AV processor, or the Denon that's half the price, but has more features and sound good enough that only a few people in the world could tell the difference?

That's a good point, and any audiophile's choice would be clear on that front. Perhaps as clear as I probably am with my preferences. It's also not a question of me being unaware of some of the X360's capabilities either - I've used one before, I read alot about it and I have friends who own one. It's just that in the areas that are subjective to most (content, appearance, marketing behind it, to a degree technology), I guess I'm clearly on the fence of the PS3 camp. I just like the way they do things better.

Then there's the geek in me, that likes the content they've [Sony] packed in: Bluray, harddrive, Cell. Even if the advantages can be argued to it being a mear potential (maybe even a wasted one) since it's down to how developers use it, the geek in me still finds it great.

Even if some of my reasoning can be successfully argued, it doesn't change the sum of all points which IMO is the lasting decider.

eb said:
I have had frustrations over live, having a family my kids want to play online with their friends - not @ ÂŁ30pm each they're not, so my online stats get screwed up! Then when my sub ran out while I was on holiday they automatically renwed it even tho I have a scratch-card ready for when I got back...that took 3 mnths and loads of phone-calls (and broken promises) to get refunded!

That's an interesting argument that I haven't heard discussed very often before.

That's an interesting argument that I haven't heard discussed very often before.

True - I thought of mentioning that as well in my post, but forgot that one. I have multiple accounts on my PS3 - one I use as a main account for most of my games, but others, i.e. my sister or friend(s) who occasionally comes over to play and has his/her own game saves (and especially online stats). This works great, because no one messes up my stats and you can still have various games with their respective game saves behind them if you wish so.

I see some of the positives live has, but this has got to go down as the worst possible negative in my book. Accoarding to Microsoft, I would need at least 3 subscriptions to not have any conflict...

I voted "other" because I completely agree with this opinion:

I chose "other" because there is no "Microsoft is evil" option. Already enough illegal monopolies associated with Redmond, no interest in helping them gain another one.

Sony is evil too of course but nowhere near as successful at it.

I don't like MS since I was amiga owner... I don't think that MS dominance would brought anything good to the gaming industry... Despite that I recommended xbox to some of my friends, becasue MS aversion is my individual problem, however all three of them shift to PS3 because of really frequent RROD problems(and Uncharted)

True - I thought of mentioning that as well in my post, but forgot that one. I have multiple accounts on my PS3 - one I use as a main account for most of my games, but others, i.e. my sister or friend(s) who occasionally comes over to play and has his/her own game saves (and especially online stats). This works great, because no one messes up my stats and you can still have various games with their respective game saves behind them if you wish so.

I see some of the positives live has, but this has got to go down as the worst possible negative in my book. Accoarding to Microsoft, I would need at least 3 subscriptions to not have any conflict...

Yeah, my wife and I both have an account used for online (though for my wife that's mostly for Home) and I even have one for my dad, my wife's best friend and a few others. I'm the only one who's ever even touching my 360 so that problem hasn't cropped up there.

Oh, I forgot something else that I thought I'd bring up in the interest of discussion:

- Logitech Force Feedback Wheel support

It's a damn shame that the X360 doesn't support any of this. From what I gather, it's also hardware (and licence) related, but what ever it is, it shouldn't be. If this would work, my guess would be that a whole lot more Gran Turismo owners on the PS2/PS3 would be willing to check out Forza 3 on the X360 without having to worry about re-buying expensive force feedback wheels...

Doesn't most online games have separate ranked and non ranked matches? I think atleast on the 360 they have. It's still an issue if for example your brother want's to have his own records, but atleast you can let your friends play without worrying them to ruin your stats.

I guess that works, but you're practically solving a global problem with a game centric solution. I'm sure there are games that have stats for both ranked and unranked and you wouldn't want to have your friends or family members mess with your stats in any way - ranked or not. And having them not participate in ranked matches with their friends because it's a shared console doesn't seem like a great solution.

What about friends list? I.e. my sister's account holds about 20 friends that I certainly wouldn't want under my account or vice-versa.

What about game saves? Not sure how the Xbox works on that end - on the PS3, every account has it's own "My game saves" folder. That's a good solution IMO. If a friend comes over and I wanted to show him KillZone2, I could open or create a new user account where I start the game from scratch and could progress any time he visited again without compromising my progress on my main account (which I may be tackling on a different difficulty level).

There are games that include load/save options within a single account, but they are a lot more rare then last generation. First person shooters as well as many racing games tend to have a single save file only with no option to load or save - it does so automatically.

I mostly agree with your point, but to be fair, Silver accounts are free and have access to achievements and their own saves. The main problem is with online.

Yeah, the 360 supports Guest accounts sometimes/most of the time? for multiplayer games. A second player would then show up as a variation of the main player name (e.g. with -01 and -02 added), I think. Do I remember this right?

On the 360 you can create multiple offline and/or silver accounts as well. So I think that in the case of an off-line campaign mode, it's not as big a problem as it may seem - I think you can still for instance create a separate account for someone who plays through Gears of War 2 on the 360. It may even post his highscores online. He just can't play any online matches using that account.

Right? (*looks at the more hardcore 360 players in the room for confirmation)

Yeah, the 360 supports Guest accounts sometimes/most of the time? for multiplayer games. A second player would then show up as a variation of the main player name (e.g. with -01 and -02 added), I think. Do I remember this right?

On the 360 you can create multiple offline and/or silver accounts as well. So I think that in the case of an off-line campaign mode, it's not as big a problem as it may seem - I think you can still for instance create a separate account for someone who plays through Gears of War 2 on the 360. It may even post his highscores online. He just can't play any online matches using that account.

Right? (*looks at the more hardcore 360 players in the room for confirmation)

Yes that is correct on the games that do allow a guest by adding a number to the name.

Back