"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Farid, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Cloofoofoo

Newcomer

Sakura Wars 4 - dreamcast, pc
    * low poly lod models are around 1,200 for player characters when the unit is inactive. It automatically switches to high poly lod when active and in cutscenes. regular enemies are between 700- 1,200 triangles.

Sobu - 2,938 triangles
    [​IMG]

Ogami Ichiro - 1,842 triangles
    [​IMG]

Kobu f2( Erica) - 2,355 triangles
    [​IMG]

kobu f2 ( hannabi) 2,359 triangles
    [​IMG]

Kobu custom( ogami) (destroed/damaged) 3,540 triangles
    [​IMG]

Ōkubo Nagayasu (Antagonist)- 1,103 triangles
    [​IMG]

Final boss (phase1) - 4,887 triangles
    [​IMG]

final boss (phase 2) - 3,058 triangles
    [​IMG]

Stage 2 - 4,906 triangles
    [​IMG]

xaeroxcore, jlippo, Karamazov and 2 others like this.
  2. TapamN

Newcomer

For anyone whose interested, I just found a flaw in my benchmark. I was using a custom library to generate commands for the hardware, and discovered that I was not setting a semi-undocumented bit (not listed in my main reference, but listed in nullDC source as group_en). The KOS PVR driver quietly set this bit without me realizing it, but my library did not. It seems not setting this bit was causing the TA to ignore my request to use full substrips and it would instead process the strip as single triangles. (I discovered this while writing a new PVR driver, and was wondering why vertex data was taking up so much more RAM and I was getting worse performance than I expected.)

The new best fake polygon count I've gotten is 11.96 million polys/sec, or 382 MB/s of vertex data. More what I was expecting.

jlippo and TheAlSpark like this.
  3. xaeroxcore

Newcomer

Hello dudes, happy new year!! Long time without moving this thread!!! Hope you guys and your family are doing it well through this Covid horrible stuff....The thing is, i don´t know if you guys are aware of (probably yes), but Dreamcast is receiving new games, due to the massive Atomiswave porting extravaganza coming from Megavolt85 on the DC talk forums. We finally have on DC 3D games like Faster Than Speed, Maximum Speed, Demolish Fists, Genju and specially Force Five, that looks like make good use of DC hardware and bring us an idea of how DC games would have look after its demise....so..is there any chance you guys can provide us data about polycounts in this "new" Dreamcast games?? Thank you in advance!!! Cheers from Colombia, South América!!!