"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

yeah, the character quality actually looks a little better than splinter cell conviction.

(i know they're not even the same in ANY way shape or form, it's just the lighting seems identical for both games :smile:)

I dont recall anything from Conviction looking as good as that.

I dont recall anything from Conviction looking as good as that.

Yes, actually true, of cores conviction isn't out yet, so maybe we might see something new that will surprise us and change our minds.:smile:

Anyways, going by the nice clean edges i see on the pic, i take it it's of the PC version.

Still, even with that said i expect the 360 version to look much the same and to be with the old typical 720p with 2xaa, which is enough for many gamers to get into. (even for my self :smile:)

Whoa that looks surprisingly good!

Is that shot even real? Looks way too good. And considering that the game is fast paced action with countless of zombies I kind of find it hard to believe that this game can look that good on today's consoles even if we exclude the high resolution of the shot

I donno ,the lighting makes the models look better though but poly count ? nah to me it doesnt looks "far" better or double than L4D1.....L4D1 too had pretty good amount of poly for main characters.

They probably have some smart crowd LOD system for a close up to look in this quality, or there might be some other trad offs not shown here.

Is that shot even real? Looks way too good. And considering that the game is fast paced action with countless of zombies I kind of find it hard to believe that this game can look that good on today's consoles even if we exclude the high resolution of the shot

Source has always had good character models; no reason to think we couldn't go from here to here in four (!) years. And the zombie models on the ground aren't exactly breaking any polygon records.

Source has always had good character models; no reason to think we couldn't go from here to here in four (!) years. And the zombie models on the ground aren't exactly breaking any polygon records.

True:smile:

Frankly i don't care if the enemies are that many ploys with special enemies receiving slight increase in their numbers, http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_images_left_4_dead_2-11497-1.html
it doesn't matter me cause they always get severed or obliterated...:smile:

I like this new direction in main character quality.....though i really wish they would have done this to the old cast of L4d.:devilish: (....zoey would have totally reaped the benefits)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing that Left 4 Dead 2 screen is PC version, not just a PR shot. They could have much higher polygon counts for all of the models.

I'm guessing that Left 4 Dead 2 screen is PC version, not just a PR shot. They could have much higher polygon counts for all of the models.

oh i doubt very much that these polygons are beyond 360's potential, and i haven't yet heard of a PC version having better polygon models in a PC vs console match in THIS generation.

not mass effect, not COD4, not Batman, not ghost busters, not left 4 dead1, not GRID, not gears of war, not UT3, nothing.

i have heard of better resolution, AI, sharper textures and smoother frame-rate though.;)

oh i doubt very much that these polygons are beyond 360's potential, and i haven't yet heard of a PC version having better polygon models in a PC vs console match in THIS generation.

not mass effect, not COD4, not Batman, not ghost busters, not left 4 dead1, not GRID, not gears of war, not UT3, nothing.

i have heard of better resolution, AI, sharper textures and smoother frame-rate though.;)

.. lighting, mapping, everything + LOD which equals to more polygons to render aswell as other detail. :smile:

We'll probably see it in Dirt 2, but that's almost cheating.

.. lighting, mapping, everything + LOD which equals to more polygons to render aswell as other detail. :smile:

True, but still these three characters receiving extra ploys seems far fetched, ghost busters had up to 6 fully detailed characters on screen (and let me tell ya something, i don't know how many they were but they weren't low) http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_images_ghostbusters-10459-6.html

It was smoother than mass effect1's. (and they were at least 25k)

So even if these three characters were at least 35k to 40k each, I'm sure 360 could Handel that.

We'll probably see it in Dirt 2, but that's almost cheating.

That would be interesting but it's not gonna happen, the only game that i can recollect that had more polys in a PC version in this generation was half life2.......and that was cause of the mods.

( I'm guessing it's just easier for a developer to make sharper textures and nice lighting and just have it set to scale between PC's and consoles a like, that's just what i notice when i pop in a lot of pc games and compare it to their console counter parts)

http://www.eurogamer.net/gallery.php?game_id=9851&article_id=648794
http://www.eurogamer.net/gallery.php?game_id=5106&article_id=713141

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be interesting but it's not gonna happen, the only game that i can recollect that had more polys in a PC version in this generation was half life2.......and that was cause of the mods.

( I'm guessing it's just easier for a developer to make sharper textures and nice lighting and just have it set to scale between PC's and consoles a like, that's just what i notice when i pop in a lot of pc games and compare it to their console counter parts)

Well PC version of DIRT2 will sport DX11 support with tesselation usage etc. As for mods that is true like HL2 but goes for lots of other games to like F3 etc (me likes!). Well see if it gets used for cars or such.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1309905&postcount=16

Back