Yahoo: PlayStation 3 - first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both the Wii and PS3 have this, 360 is left out. Thoughts?

Some claim that the possibility that discs can be "eaten" and impossible to get out of the machine makes it bad. On the other hand it seems more high tech.

I wonder if a future redesigned 360 (smaller, etc) might incorporate this.

I think I remember either MS or Sony's excuse for not having this last gen was that they were afraid of toddlers pushing garbage in (like a sandwich or something).

Well my toddler destroyed 2 tray-loaded devices by pushing/snapping the tray down bare-handed (He knew how to turn on and press the eject button after a short time). You can also stuff food into tray-loaded devices through the narrow gap when it's opened. I like slot loaded devices better.

Some claim that the possibility that discs can be "eaten" and impossible to get out of the machine makes it bad. On the other hand it seems more high tech.
slot drives aren't the best when it comes to keeping your discs scratch free imo.

Well my toddler destroyed 2 tray-loaded devices by pushing/snapping the tray down bare-handed (He knew how to turn on and press the eject button after a short time). You can also stuff food into tray-loaded devices through the narrow gap when it's opened. I like slot loaded devices better.

Point taken. But with a slot-drive, you don't even have to push a button to stuff anything in.

About the scratching though, I don't see how slot is worse off...if anything I would think it would be less likely to scratch since you don't run the risk of placing it in the tray wrong or not putting it on there properly and having the tray "bend" or scratch it when it goes in.

Slot loading driver are much nicer and look more "sexy", but I think the reasons that MS went with tray loading are mainly two, they are cheaper and I think they are still less prone to to jam...

I think the double-whammy comparison of Resistance to both Call Of Duty and Halo almost in the same sentence is the internet equivalent to wearing an I'm-just-a-casual-gamer-and-really-not-into-that-"shooter"-thing t-shirt.

How tf ... there are so obvious differences between these two franchises both in style and fundamental gameplay mechanics. A games journalist should gain the ability to recognize such intricacies at some point in his/her career IMO. Not just say that Resistance is somehow like both of them.

Hmm...

The brief article strips away all bells-and-whistles and takes a layman look at PS3. Though unfair, I agree with the Resistance's "yet-another-FPS" comment.

What do you find "unfair" about that? It is just another FPS, and it should be judged as such. Unless you can tell me something new and radical about it that sets it apart from every other FPS, aside from the fact that it's a PS3 launch game.

coz his Resistance comment seems to be based on the limited brown-n-grey Nottingham demo :)
The alien architecture/world should be blue. The MP maps also sound interesting based on more indepth previews on other sites.

Resistance does emit the "yet-another-FPS" feeling, but if the weapon strategy, enemy AI, story and maps work well, it can be a very good FPS. No one outside Insomniacs has played through the entire game yet... such is life I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently you can insert a disc when the PS3 is off, and it will automatically switch on and swallow it. That's kind of effecient - just move the disc into the slot and there you go.

I think the double-whammy comparison of Resistance to both Call Of Duty and Halo almost in the same sentence is the internet equivalent to wearing an I'm-just-a-casual-gamer-and-really-not-into-that-"shooter"-thing t-shirt.

How tf ... there are so obvious differences between these two franchises both in style and fundamental gameplay mechanics. A games journalist should gain the ability to recognize such intricacies at some point in his/her career IMO. Not just say that Resistance is somehow like both of them.

You need to carefully reread what he said. You have taken 2 small snips about 2 games and relative comparisons about those games, and put them into a wrong context. The COD comparison was about the similarity in world (bombed out Europe) and how the Scripting&Action of COD was better in his opinion; and with Halo it was a small comment about the Aliens and the Sounds (in a positive light). It was NOT a wholesale comparison -- especially of gameplay mechanics as you harp. Pretty unfair criticism IMO because he isn't comparing the "fundamental gameplay mechanics" you suggest -- only drawing a line of comparison, to certain aspects of the game, to other well known games his audiance may resonate with.

A games journalist should gain the ability to recognize such intricacies at some point in his/her career IMO

:rolleyes:

lol i really wonder what you need to into journalism nowadays, that culdve been the worst and poorly written article. And to post first an opinion whether or not its ugly to him- Its completly opinionated lol. But the new 360 updates are wicked- But taken in- Why would I listen to yahoo lol. comparing resistance to gears of war is jut plain dumb- gOw is going to be the best 3rd person action game ever. its not even a FPS.

Nothing is new in this article, and therefore it's not worth yet another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back