XP6000+ or CoreDuo 2,33 GHz?

_xxx_

Banned
They cost about the same here. I'm thinking about building a new gaming rig, so which one is faster? How about heat and power requirements? Any problems with other HW? Thanks.

They cost about the same here. I'm thinking about building a new gaming rig, so which one is faster? How about heat and power requirements? Any problems with other HW? Thanks.

The Core 2 should be cooler and have lower power draw.

Performance wise I think they are fairly even with perhaps the A64 winning by a small amount in non gaming tasks but the Core2 taking the win for games.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2933&p=8

Not quite sure yet. I have loads of games at home collecting dust, thus I'm kinda tired of waiting. Actually I was waiting for a single-slot high-end GFX card for my SFF, but that will take a while it seems and I don't want to wait till January or so. Also I need a second PC for making music and stuff.

Not quite sure yet. I have loads of games at home collecting dust, thus I'm kinda tired of waiting. Actually I was waiting for a single-slot high-end GFX card for my SFF, but that will take a while it seems and I don't want to wait till January or so. Also I need a second PC for making music and stuff.

I thought Barcelona was being launched this month, and Intel's response with Penryn is ready to go at the drop of a hat.

You've got to draw the line somewhere, but just before the launch of next-gen chips/chipsets seems to be the place to disadvantage you the most as far as cost or performance goes. If the money's burning a hole in your pocket though...

Well I guess with the new HW like Barcelona, the costs for the system will almost double, thus not really an option. And the prices might go down, but in this case there is not much room left for pricing downwards, since they already cost mere 150€. If they cost say 100€ afterwards, that's still not a win really.

Not only that, but I'm still pretty sure that Barcelona is only the server chips; the desktop variants aren't slated to come out until Q1 next year IIRC.

Penryn is gonna be good stuff in terms of power consumption, but the speed increases aren't going to be phenominal. I say go for it; the newest E6x50s are cheap, fast, cool and quiet.

i read a review recently and the x2 6000 compares to the e6600 and e6700
wether its better to have depends on current price

"AMD's two old-school tricks, the price cut and the clock speed bump, have combined to give the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ a pretty good value proposition. Performance-wise, the X2 6000+ is slower overall than the Core 2 Duo E6700, but not by much. That may be a surprising outcome to those accustomed to seeing Core 2 Duo processors convincingly trounce the competition, but these two architectures were never that different in terms of clock-for-clock performance. It stands to reason that a 3GHz Athlon 64 X2 could nearly pull even with a Core 2 Duo at 2.66GHz. The X2 6000+ is also about 70 bucks cheaper than the E6700, making it a pretty sweet deal in the grand scheme of things. Of course, as always, there are better deals to be had at lower price points than this one, but the X2 6000+ offers a compelling alternative to the E6700."

ps: xxx how long are you planning this new cpu to last you ?
if its a good while maybe quad core is the better choice

I don't buy systems for long-term use, I always update the bits every few months as needed. I'm more after lower power consumption and heat, also I'd like to have it as silent as possible. As said, the two mentioned in the title cost exactly the same here, same goes for suitable mobos.

No, I upgrade something every few months :) Always the given bottleneck. CPU yearly usually. But this time I'm buying a whole new PC, since my SFF can't be properly upgraded.

P.S.: to the industry, thanks for only producing e-nis power hogs with huge coolers loaded with enough LED's to light a small house. Exactly what most users want
bang.gif
NOT!

If you could find an XP 6000+ get it. That'd be some feat of engineering there...

;)

Oh, and for the record, the X2 6000+ is faster than a C2D @ 2.33GHz in most workloads.

so what are your rhoughts on the core 2 t7 series

No idea, that's why I asked here :)

Ok, so now I ordered the stuff:

C2D E6550 (Conroe 2,33 GHz)
XFX N650-IUL9 mainboard
Tagan TG480-U15 480W PSU with cable management
WD3200AAKS 320GB HDD
2 GB Geil Ultra DDR2-800 4-4-4-12

And a new case, DVD-burner and some other minor stuff. For now I'll keep using my X1800GTO until G92/RV670 come, then I'll upgrade the gfx with whatever sucks less power (naively assuming the price/perf ratio will be about the same).

what i mean is you said "I 'm more after lower power consumption and heat,"

but then you buy the standard core 2 and not the low power version of the core 2

Well they are bound to cost much more and they were not in stock where I ordered anyway. Still the consumption/heat seems to be reasonable with the E6550, so I'm fine.

The whole combo above costs exactly 555€ (think same amount in $$$ in the US), which is stupidly cheap compared to the last gen. I wonder if the gfx card will cost more than the rest of the system :LOL:

So, put it together yesterday. Great noise level! The CPU could easily run on air methinks, the PSU is inaudiable, the HDD doesn't even get really warm after an hour of constant spinning (formatting, installation). Exactly how I wanted it. Rock stable and performs quite well (though I haven't benched it yet). It never gets really hot or louder.

Oh and if you're looking for an affordable case, try the cheap InWin brand. This case just rocks for the money! No screws needed, HDD-bay can be turned 90° for easy acces and no sharp edges anywhere. Looks also rather good in matte black, love it.

Oh and if you're looking for an affordable case, try the cheap InWin brand. This case just rocks for the money! No screws needed, HDD-bay can be turned 90° for easy acces and no sharp edges anywhere. Looks also rather good in matte black, love it.
What model did you get?

Back