XP install error (blue screen) stop 7

weaksauce

Regular
I'm trying to install windows XP on a HP computer with an s3 graphics card, but about half way during the install a blue screen comes up with a 0x0000007 error, and also it notes the file "s3gnbm.sys" or something. I checked what 0x0000007 could mean and one explanation was that it could be something wrong with the graphic drivers. But this is the file that comes from the CD, I cant change it or any thing so what should I do? Am I supposed to have a special windows disk from HP?

IIRC, the code is a software trap error. Grab the latest motherboard & graphics card BIOses (if available) from HP. Then try again. It may be an ACPI or IRQ issue, so check your BIOS settings for IRQ allocation. When booting from the WinXP CD, hit F5 when the message to hit F6 to install RAID/SCSI drivers appears. This will give you a menu that you can scroll up/down & select ACPI or Standard PC. If all else fails, select Standard PC.

Sorry it was a 7E error not 7, here:

Also at one time I got a 7B error with another windows version.

But in the 7E troubleshoot at MS they list this cause; "Incompatible video adapter drivers." And also:
"If the following conditions are true, the issue may be a hardware incompatibility with Windows XP because all the installed drivers are Windows XP drivers:• You receive the STOP 0x7E error when you first start the computer.
• You receive the STOP 0x7E error after you run the Setup program.
• You did not install any third-party drivers during the installation of Windows."

It is half way trhough the installation (or second last step, "installing components" or something) that it crashes.

But like, if it is windows own drivers that are incompitable, what should I do then?

It came with XP Home edition, it's "Designed for Windows XP", it should work!

BTW I updated the bios and did that F5/Standard PC thing, but it didn't work. I checked what I found about IRQ in BIOS and from what i understand(nothing) nothing is wrong. It's all on default settings.

what was the os that the computer had? Did this computer ever run xp? Try looking to see if your graphics card meets the minimum reqs for xp. It seems like that is what your error message is telling you.

epic

Try a Linux Live CD, like Knoppix, and see if that works. If it does, your BOIS or install CD are broken, if it doesn't, it's your motherboard.

what was the os that the computer had? Did this computer ever run xp? Try looking to see if your graphics card meets the minimum reqs for xp. It seems like that is what your error message is telling you.

epic

Yes it came with XP home edition, and it has the sticker "designed for windows xp"

I've updated bios and tried several different cds, and it doesn't work. If it is the gfx (prosavageddr) that is not compatible, how was it able to come with XP in the beginning and is there anything to do about it?

edit: it was because of sp2...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any possability that you have an internal SATA hard-drive that you are trying to load Windows on to, and your motherboard / bios combination requires a driver for the SATA to be installed via a floppy disc for the Windows instilation to successfully complete?

Best and Warm Regards
Zapata

Hi

I know its a long time since this thread went online, but had the exact same problem and still no real solution avalible online. HP Pavillion machine, cutting off install with s3gnbm.sys blue screen error. Eventually opened case and detached TV out daughter board on a hunch, guess what passed the fault no problem.

Completed the install and then shutdown PC, reattached TV out board and let the PC do its thing on restart.

Hope this helps, and works for you also.

Cheers.

Back