Xbox VGA box

Anyone ever try an LCD for gaming? They don't get burn-in, right?

I don't think LCDs get burn in because there is no heat generated by the actual pixels. LCDs are lit by a fluorescent bulb using a diffuser so the heat is actully coming from the bulb itself.

I "game" on my Sony 11HT LCD Projector, which projects onto a 120", 16:9 screen. Very sweet when feeding it via XBOX component cables, not to mention the surround effects I get from feeding the digital audio to my Lexicon surround processor, which decodes it using "Logic-7" to all 7 channels...

I've got a PC in a rackmount case but haven't had a chance to add it to the rack with the rest of the equipment yet. I plan on using Powerstrip to output the Sony's native resolution (1366x768) to the PJ. Now all I need is one of those darned 9700 Pros...

But back to the subject: CRT's are difficult to "burn in" if calibrated correctly using a good calibration DVD (AVIA Guide to Home Theaters, etc...) Most cases of burn-in (especially at arcades) occur from the contrast being set wayyyyyy higher than it needs to be. Borrow someone's AVIA or HT Essentials DVD, calibrate your set, and you'll be amazed at where your contrast setting ends up to get a "proper" picture. While not totally preventable in the long run, it's not the problem people make it out to be if you take proper precautions (#1 - proper calibration).

-Chris

Back