Xbox Series... M?

From a performance perspective, they are really hampered by the memory bus being 128bit.

tenor.gif

Seriously I tell you guys for a long time and then some rando on twitter says something and we get threads !

5nm rdna 3 targeting 4tflop same cpu specs as the series s and same ram amount
Clicked this thread as 'new posts' and it's taken to me to the beginning. However I don't notice the timestamp so I'm reading, ooo, a new portable?? Then I notice 12 pages and March 2021. So, two years ago we have this adamant claim a portable XB was coming. What happened?

Reality of cost and battery life.

We just need to keep waiting.

8Tflops is of course going to kill the battery. I am more interested in what an 8 core zen 4 with a 4tflop rdna 3 can do vs the xbox series s

At roughly the 3 minute mark he talks about ram options. His is using ddr 5 but there will be an option for LPDDR5x-7500

Would LPDDR5-7500 be enough for a Series S equivalent?
I don't know as i'm not great with ram ,but it be getting closer to what would be needed. Series S is 224GB/s and 56GB for the last 2GB of ram

Steam deck was 5500MT/s on a quad 32 bit bus for 88GB/s effective bandwidth

I think the way forward would be infinity cache. At 1080p I think 32-64 megs would be enough.

I don't know as i'm not great with ram ,but it be getting closer to what would be needed. Series S is 224GB/s and 56GB for the last 2GB of ram

Steam deck was 5500MT/s on a quad 32 bit bus for 88GB/s effective bandwidth

I think the way forward would be infinity cache. At 1080p I think 32-64 megs would be enough.
So a larger Cache would alleviate the need for more RAM bandwidth?

So a larger Cache would alleviate the need for more RAM bandwidth?

It should. I believe infinity cache is there to store the buffers in it instead of hitting graphics ram. I just don't know how much they would need for it. Maybe 64-128megs ? Some one else here would be a much better source than I am as they know the hit rates and everything for it. There was a great break down when RDNA 2 released but that section of the forum is closed. I just don't know what that would do to thermals in a small portable device

I bought a used series S off eBay for 200 and just got it to today. Its my first new Xbox in over 10 years. I don't see how something like this could work in a handheld even with recent tech advances. It's relatively small as a console but has a heft I wasn't expecting, and also has a giant exhaust port on the top that's almost half the circumference of the console. Good luck cooling something like that even with a few die shrinks in a handheld format expecting to get anywhere near the same performance as this console.

On a separate note, I hate the Xbox OS cause it's way more confusing than the 360 OSs, but I love the snappiness of the console in terms of performance and speed. I am extremely impressed 😁

I bought a used series S off eBay for 200 and just got it to today. Its my first new Xbox in over 10 years. I don't see how something like this could work in a handheld even with recent tech advances. It's relatively small as a console but has a heft I wasn't expecting, and also has a giant exhaust port on the top that's almost half the circumference of the console. Good luck cooling something like that even with a few die shrinks in a handheld format expecting to get anywhere near the same performance as this console.

On a separate note, I hate the Xbox OS cause it's way more confusing than the 360 OSs, but I love the snappiness of the console in terms of performance and speed. I am extremely impressed 😁
The thought process is that you move from zen2/rdna 2 over to a newer zen core which is more efficient and a more efficent RDNA 3 or 3.5 maybe even 4. as well as the micron drop . We will have to see what happens in the future.

Perhaps a tablet form factor?

They already have experience with Surface.

Would be a huge differentiator compared to other portable consoles.

Perhaps a tablet form factor?

They already have experience with Surface.

Would be a huge differentiator compared to other portable consoles.

The ROG Ally breaks down pretty well for a small form factor and the APU is 30w by itself. Series s uses less than 80w in games. maybe another micron drop or more efficent apu with a new zen and rdna would do the trick. We aren't far from series s in portable form. I fully expect when RDNA 4 hits the market the apu's based of it will be more powerful than the series s , esp when raytracing is used

Attachments

• 1687408316377.png
    1687408316377.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
What the... So theoretically, ms can reduce it's cost even more by reducing the headsink, and upping the fan speed.

80watts! That's crazy efficient!

It depends on the game

Matrix demo I don't see it go above 80w, highest I saw was 82.80 ps5 looked to hit the highest at 211w .

Here is another video

Halo infinite showing high 60s into the low 70 watts which as the tester said is what the ps4 pro and xsx is running at in the dash board. Even the series s with the portable screen is under 80 watts here

and here is euro gamer saying it hits 80-84w in cyberpunk 2077 performance mode. Series x is 170-190 and ps5 is 215-230w

That article also has cool numbers from the switch , the whole thing was 11.2-15.1w in the original , the revision was 7-8.5 and the oled is 6.5 to 8

1687494917329.png

Here is a break down of the system. It's pretty simple.

Apparently the Zen 3 is 19% faster at the same frequencey and is 24% more efficent in power consumption

Zen 4 is roughly a 19% performance gain clock for clock vs zen 3. I can't find anyhting about its power usage vs previous gens.

But it's likely that a 8core zen 4 at the same clock speeds as zen 2 will use much less power and offer much better performance.

The real question mark at the end of the day is how efficent rdna 3 or 4 can be with the same configuration as rdna 2 in the xbox series s. But 3/4nm at tsmc and zen4 couple with rdna 4 could make a portable xbox series s console feasible .

with how hot xbox series s is, i though it was hundreds of watts. but turns out it was just 80 watts, and microsoft deliberately make it hot enough like that for the super silent cooling system.
seriously, the exhaust on XSS when i touched it is hotter than my RTX 3070 PC. But my PC blast fans LOUD.

with only around 80 watts, these talks of XSM sounds more reasonable than i originally thought.

Back