XBox One, PS4, DRM, and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for more DRM, within reason, if it brings the price of games down for the people who actually buy games.

I don't want to swap discs and keep a huge sack of boxes. If MS can give us sensible DD pricing, extend the usability of games to more than one system in a house, allow trade ins of used DD games (why?) and manage all that without 24h checks, they'll have the best DD system.

(I'm sorry about your DRM film purchases on the xbox store, I don't know anyone around me who made that kind of mistake, but we sure have different preferences)

I think you'll be surprised at others here that purchase movies & TV content on their respective stores. Ask NavNucST3 & Rancidlunchmeat. I believe they purchase quite a bit of content on Xbox Video. Not sure about any PS3 users on this board though.

Tommy McClain

Thats disgraceful, I hope you are thoroughly ashamed of yourself

Due tell how that's disgraceful? He's not pirating.

I think the fundamental issue is boiled down to this...

For a closed platform, does the platform owner have the right not give you ownership of the content?

I believe they have every right to do so. Does that mean I have to like it? Certainly not. I don't like the fact I can't take my XBLA & XBLIG games to their new platform because it requires me to keep my old system. Does that mean I won't ever buy digital content again? No, because I buy experiences and if the new system has the experiences I want, then I will buy it. Since it's a closed system I have to play to their rules. Nice thing about a free market is that I can choose from other systems if I don't like playing by their rules. No need to complain, just spend my money on the platform I like & the free market will sort it out.

Tommy McClain

Due tell how that's disgraceful? He's not pirating.
Tommy McClain

Ok I will,
If he had said "I also like that all my games all of them fit on many 3.5 inch drives"
The gaming gods would approve but only 1 drive full of games, thats shameful behaviour and it makes the gaming gods cry...
Hopefully Eastman has learned the error of his evil, evil ways and is now hitting the sales and purchasing some more slices of gaming goodness.

Ok I will,
If he had said "I also like that all my games all of them fit on many 3.5 inch drives"
The gaming gods would approve but only 1 drive full of games, thats shameful behaviour and it makes the gaming gods cry...
Hopefully Eastman has learned the error of his evil, evil ways and is now hitting the sales and purchasing some more slices of gaming goodness.
This is offensive. You are disrespecting the smileyface gods. Rulers of the internets.
Remember Sarcasmicon chapter 3 verse 5 "Thou shall express the tone of internet posts with a proper smiley face, or suffer the wrath of minions misreading your intent"

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll be surprised at others here that purchase movies & TV content on their respective stores. Ask NavNucST3 & Rancidlunchmeat. I believe they purchase quite a bit of content on Xbox Video. Not sure about any PS3 users on this board though.

Tommy McClain
Well, yeah, I don't expect anyone with an xbox to have a huge bluray collection... for obvious reasons, and many of them got burned with hddvd and microsoft disinformation, so I understand the opinion that physical media isn't seen as any better than download in terms of longevity. Their alternative has been a bluray player (which took years to come down below the PS3 price, a good one was 1500 at launch and it sucked compared to the PS3). Every single one of my friends with a PS3 have a reasonably big bluray collection, and zero online purchases, except rental and netflix. I'd be curious if anyone here with a playstation have bought most of their film collection on the playstation store. It's funny now that xbone has a bluray player, those with only blurays can easily switch console for next gen, with no impact, while those with online purchases are locked in forever to xbox/playstation where they bought them. I welcome them to DRM hell..

A poll could be fun though, B3D doesn't represent the general gaming population (as opposed to IGN or gamespot, for example), but it's an interesting exercise.

On a side note, I think if either MS or Sony are clever, they will offer to convert all of someone's collection to Ultraviolet for free. That would be the nice thing to do. It makes your whole collection free of the vendor lock-in. Problem is that it's the movie studios who own the right to do so, and they suck so they won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I will,

LOL Touche.

This is offensive. You are disrespecting the smileyface gods. Rulers of the internets.
Remember Sarcasmicon chapter 3 verse 5 "Thou shall express the tone of internet posts with a proper smiley face, or suffer the wrath of minions misreading your intent"

Agreed :devilish:

Tommy McClain

Well, yeah, I don't expect anyone with an xbox to have a huge bluray collection... for obvious reasons, and many of them got burned with hddvd and microsoft disinformation, so I understand the opinion that physical media isn't seen as any better than download in terms of longevity. Their alternative has been a bluray player (which took years to come down below the PS3 price, a good one was 1500 at launch and it sucked compared to the PS3). Every single one of my friends with a PS3 have a reasonably big bluray collection, and zero online purchases, except rental and netflix. I'd be curious if anyone here with a playstation have bought most of their film collection on the playstation store. It's funny now that xbone has a bluray player, those with only blurays can easily switch console for next gen, with no impact, while those with online purchases are locked in forever to xbox/playstation where they bought them. I welcome them to DRM hell..

A poll could be fun though, B3D doesn't represent the general gaming population (as opposed to IGN or gamespot, for example), but it's an interesting exercise.

On a side note, I think if either MS or Sony are clever, they will offer to convert all of someone's collection to Ultraviolet for free. That would be the nice thing to do. It makes your whole collection free of the vendor lock-in. Problem is that it's the movie studios who own the right to do so, and they suck so they won't.

A poll might be interesting. Unfortunately the leanings in this forum is so overwhelming anti-MS that I feel it would be lopsided as well. Anyway, I'm hopeful that Xbox Music & Video purchases will just transfer over. There will be a shit storm if they don't. I don't expect MS converting them to Ultraviolet for a fee much less for free. Sony might though.

Tommy McClain

Do people purchase movies in this time of age?
AFAIK anyone I know download videos on their PC's and watch it either on their PC or on their console.
I havent purchased a single movie for ages

Do people purchase movies in this time of age?
AFAIK anyone I know download videos on their PC's and watch it either on their PC or on their console.
I havent purchased a single movie for ages

I still buy movies on Bluray, and the odd Manga on DVD, but nowhere near as many as I used to. My DVD collection is vast (2,000+) and my Bluray library is in the triple figures now, I just love the ability to pick a film or TV series up off the shelf and watch when I want to. Obviously the ability to stream a digital version to any DLNA device in the house is the ideal solution. But I would never trust digital only copies of films that include any form of DRM that could expire and render your collection worthless.

I still buy movies on Bluray, and the odd Manga on DVD, but nowhere near as many as I used to. My DVD collection is vast (2,000+) and my Bluray library is in the triple figures now, I just love the ability to pick a film or TV series up off the shelf and watch when I want to. Obviously the ability to stream a digital version to any DLNA device in the house is the ideal solution. But I would never trust digital only copies of films that include any form of DRM that could expire and render your collection worthless.
:yep2:That's the key for me! I don't keep every game I buy, sure, especially if I am moving or something, but I try to keep most of them.

My problem with the digital download only approach is what you have expressed, it can render your games worthless and forces you into even more limited options.

There is nothing wrong with having a small set of shelves filled with games, seeing their cute covers, their art, their manuals... :p

I'd love to play my fav games which I have on disc like: Read Dead Redemption, Skyrim, Forza 4, Call of Juarez, etc etc in the future if I wanted to.

It'd bring back good memories for sure.

I don't want physical discs to disappear. Online copies have abusive prices in some cases, as there aren't cheaper alternatives.

There is no rivalry, the competition doesn't exist, so you have to pay whatever the people behind the digital download market decide.

I have quite a few games that are fully digital content. I am not unhappy with the idea of not having to switch discs, so having a few is fine with me.

The problem is my X360 Slim -250GB HD-, if I count installed games, Arcade games, etc, is at its limit already. I had to uninstall some games in order to free some space up just to play some new games.

I think that you are going to run into the same problem with the Xbox One, especially when I expect future games to take up to 15-20GB on average, and sometimes up to 50GB of HD space.

We are ignoring many factors that contradict the argument. Are digital sales rising? Yes, of couse. Will they overtake physical sales in the next few years? Nope. imho

Cheers

The xbox one supports expanding the storage with external usb hard drives.

I think the differences in the price of games are mostly due to royalties, which are almost inexistent in the PC gaming world, as far as I know.

Besides that, there has been some turmoil because of DRM policies in the PC Gaming side of things, which had some PC titles crumbling.

As for the common ground you mention, I prefer dedicated video game retailers because while obviously they have their issues, digital is not the ideal means for everyone.

Developers could make their digital copies more enticing to the buyers. They could discount digital 5€ or 10€ below the disc.

This is workable because some of the expense of disc would be gone with digital. But they don't.

Halo 4 is 60€ online for instance, when you can actually find it cheaper elsewhere.

Besides that, if the online servers don't exist anymore or the console disappears, and physical copies are non-existent, then you are losing your games forever.

Well, either that or you can only play them til your console decides to stop working one fine morning.

There should a physical copy of every game somewhere, in my opinion.

Thing is, unless you are willing to sell the game on your own, you are almost always going to be paying a fee to have someone else distribute your game. Don't forget that Valve, Apple, and Google all take 30% of any transaction, and those stores are completely digital.

. Anyway, I'm hopeful that Xbox Music & Video purchases will just transfer over. There will be a shit storm if they don't. I don't expect MS converting them to Ultraviolet for a fee much less for free. Sony might though.

Tommy McClain

Uhh... Wait, what? I'm under the impression that the digital content that I've purchased (excluding games), is available currently via the 360 or the PC or the tablet or the smartphone or any other sort of device. As long as I log into Live with my gamertag, I have access to all that content.

Now, I've never actually tried to do any of those things, but I'm fairly certain it tells me that I can when I purchase the content originally. So I see no reason why music, videos, movies, etc... that were purchased on the 360 wouldn't be available on the One. Games are clearly a different issue.

I will share the fact that some of these concerns about digital downloads are merited. For instance, I bought Planet of the Apes. I haven't been able to watch it now for over a year, when I try to watch it, I get an error message that says "Unavailable at this time.. please try again later". It's been giving me that error message for over a year. Who do I call to complain about the fact that a movie that I purchased is unusable? And, more to the point, why is it only that one particular movie? Movies I purchased before and after all work just fine. Is this a DRM issue? Is it something else? What is causing it? At least when a physical disc doesn't work you can look and see if it has scratches and get it refinished. This is just Big Brother telling me there's something wrong with my copy that I paid for.

So, yes. On one hand, I understand people's unwillingness to give up physical media. On the other hand, it is far easier to just digitally download whatever content you want and either buy or rent depending on the circumstances. I don't know anybody that has a huge collection of physical media in the form of movies. Those that do, still have collections of DVDs. I don't know anybody that has a huge collection of Blu-Rays. Because when Blu-Ray came out, there was either Netflix rentals or digital downloads that didn't exist when DVDs were around (or certainly weren't as prevalent).

Suppose the PS4 is more appealing for next gen because of some exclusives, or 50% better GPU, or some other reason, and your purchased media is locked in Microsoft platforms, you're stuck.

Or if the Xbox One is more appealing for next gen because of some exclusives, or Kinect-2 or TV, or some other reason, and your purchased media is locked in Sony platforms, you're stuck.

However, all your blurays are fine either way, it'll play in your single device. If Ultraviolet picks up and comes with all bluray purchases, you get... everything.

Uhh... Wait, what? I'm under the impression that the digital content that I've purchased (excluding games), is available currently via the 360 or the PC or the tablet or the smartphone or any other sort of device. As long as I log into Live with my gamertag, I have access to all that content.

Now, I've never actually tried to do any of those things, but I'm fairly certain it tells me that I can when I purchase the content originally. So I see no reason why music, videos, movies, etc... that were purchased on the 360 wouldn't be available on the One. Games are clearly a different issue.

I knew that content was watchable on 360, PC, tablet, or smartphone, but I wasn't sure if XB1 was included because Microsoft hasn't talked about it yet. One would think it would, but after the past week or so anything is possible. LOL

Currently my collection of movies is pretty much all DVD. Though the wife did buy I think 1 or 2 movies that were Bluray/DVD/Digital combo since they were cheaper. I have yet to watch a single Bluray. Not sure how much Bluray movies I will buy knowing that eventually I will get a XB1. That's mainly due to me watching most of my newer movies streamed from Netflix. I also don't think I've bought any Xbox Video content. If I have any, it's basically stuff that was given away free. I do have some movies on other services like Vudu, CinemaNow, Flixster, etc but that's because it came with our DVDs. I suspect my movie buying won't change much in the future. They would have to quit making DVDs before I changed. LOL

Tommy McClain

Ok I will,

It is a 3TB hardrive :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back