XBox One, PS4, DRM, and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? no. you cans still buy sell trade and play USED games , just have to do it at a retailer not ebay or friend

If pubs choose to participate. Used game market went from an opt out choice for pubs to an opt in on the XB1, I don't see that as encouraging for those that want an used game market. Its a more aggressive stance than Sony's which is still basically an opt out choice.

I'm not really buying the whole "Sony's gonna do it too" narrative here. This sort of used-sales system takes OS-level support, and a huge networked system of Point of Sale access points.

Tretton has just stated very clearly, they're not implementing that. Not an an OS level, not at an infrastructure level. So, it will make it very hard for publishers to do anything that gives a decent User Experience.

According to sony:
""As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever."
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/44...ty-publishers-can-dictate-their-own-drm-terms

Like if my phone carrier had a network outage because of weather, network attack, natural disaster or some other reason and I couldn't use my phone? It would suck, but I wouldn't be mad about it. The Internet is not bulletproof. Probably never will be.

You're comparing a device that requires internet conection to one that doesn't.

This would more be like: Your Phone refuses to play the MP3's, or Games stored on it's Flash Drive, because it hasn't connected to 3G in 24hrs. You'd be cool with that?

It's asinine, and essentially assumes at all times that YOU are the criminal.

I don't give a fuck if I can't play an MMO cause the internet is down. If I can't play Skyrim, that's an issue.

I understand about collectors I do and I feel for you and see why you should absolutely buy a PS4 instead of an Xbox 1.

But I still am not getting this advocating of game sharing (by Sony) and users.

Since when did it become ok to buy one game and have 100 people able to play it without playing a dime?

It's a limited entertainment value for the most part (play it, beat it, done) and I don't understand how we can not appreciate the costs of making games and how very few actually make a profit under that system. which allows them to then make more games for us... and so on.

I am just as baffled by that as some people's inability to see why DRM does not bother some others

I'm not really buying the whole "Sony's gonna do it too" narrative here. This sort of used-sales system takes OS-level support, and a huge networked system of Point of Sale access points.

Tretton has just stated very clearly, they're not implementing that. Not an an OS level, not at an infrastructure level. So, it will make it very hard for publishers to do anything that gives a decent User Experience.

According to sony:
""As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever."
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/44...ty-publishers-can-dictate-their-own-drm-terms

Activision's CEO was speaking earlier today and said while everything is early as a company our focus is creating great games which consumers want to hold onto. They never did the online pass and seemed not to care about used game sales. He implied that they aren't going to do anything to restrict games but it was also clear that they would need to review the situation internally.

According to sony:

You can do the same with a PS3 MMO title doesn't mean it you can access the game without the pubs permission.

It does have OS level support. How will MMO games work on the PS4 without OS level support. You give a single player game, MMO like trimmings and you have your online DRM thats meant to kill used sales.

Its not a given and until proven otherwise you can't naturally say that PS4 won't have used games sales. But the option will dependent on individual pubs not Sony, which in reality is how its always been.

Furthermore, you can't say the PS4 will have a normal used games market because pubs may choose to do otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can do the same with a PS3 MMO title doesn't mean it you can access the game without the pubs permission.

It does have OS level support. How will MMO games work on the PS4 without OS level support. You give a single player game, MMO like trimmings and you have your online DRM thats meant to kill used sales.

By software-level support? Nothign is preventing a developer from requireing some sort of KEY that you enter, but it wont be handled automatically (read: seamlessly) by the OS as it will for XB1.

This makes it a much less attractive option for publishers, as a) it requires more investement and b) It creates a very lousy user experience and lots of nasty edge cases.

None of these companies in their right minds would announce drm of any kind, this week, while the entire industry is watching, and there's already blood in the water.

Does anyone else think the fact the gaming journalism is generally a younger crowd, and low paying field just add to the media outrage?

By software-level support? Nothign is preventing a developer from requireing some sort of KEY that you enter, but it wont be handled automatically (read: seamlessly) by the OS as it will for XB1.

This makes it a much less attractive option for publishers, as a) it requires more investement and b) It creates a very lousy user experience and lots of nasty edge cases.

Pubs have plenty of motivation regardless of how seamlessly the hardware accommodates whatever system they may choose to deploy.

The one issue is I have not readily seen in this discussion is the fact that major retailers are entering the space and unlike previous generation this gen won't start off with a used game market facilitated by just boutique retailers.

It may not be GS that worries pubs which maybe is why MS implemented a system that accommodates GS. Its the Walmarts, Amazons and BestBuys of the world that may scare the bejesus out of pubs and manufacturers. We are talking about a potential major escalation of used games sales where big retailers who require smaller margins and can easily attract more used games sellers through better returns on trade ins or used game buyers through cheaper prices.

How would the online only portion of the Xbox One vs PS4 work?

Xbox One:

*Can share games with family/up to 10 'devices?' (different cities?)
*Can give away games.
*Disc/Online versions identical
*Must authenticate every 24/1 hour

PS4:

*Can share with up to 3 devices? (IIRC)
*Can't give away games.
Online version different to retail.
*No online authentication.

If we're trending towards digitial only anyway then surely the Xbox One's policies are more friendly?

Why do people keep saying you can give away the digital version. YOU CANNOT!

it really shows you have confusing Ms drm system is....we are on a very high level tech forum and people here can't even understand it.

How would the online only portion of the Xbox One vs PS4 work?

Xbox One:

*Can share games with family/up to 10 'devices?' (different cities?)
*Can give away games.
*Disc/Online versions identical
*Must authenticate every 24/1 hour

PS4:

*Can share with up to 3 devices? (IIRC)
*Can't give away games.
Online version different to retail.
*No online authentication.

If we're trending towards digitial only anyway then surely the Xbox One's policies are more friendly?

Why do people keep saying you can give away the digital version. YOU CANNOT!

it really shows you have confusing Ms drm system is....we are on a very high level tech forum and people here can't even understand it.

Well it seems logical because.

A. All Xbox One games are treated as if they are digital copies.
B. Xbox One games can be shared or given away.
C. Therefore Xbox One digital copies can be shared or given away.

Problem with that is how do you put a DD game on a bluray disc? Its not like there have been any mention of the ability to freely copy and burn XB1 bluray titles. More than likely there is still some sort of disc based DRM.

And MS PR plainly states you can give away discs.

yes

there have been rumors of that since you can deactivate "digital content" that was installed form disc, that you can also deactivate the DD content as well and if MS were smart and wants to get people digital that's what they will allow. they will already have the license activate/deactivate infrastructure in place so it would be a piece of cake to do on dash

pachter is on gttv right now and he said, if i heard it right, ea and ubisoft will not enact any drm.

he said activision might because of destiny.

Based on how hopeless COD Ghosts looks to me, I believe that Kotick is going to change his mind preeeeetty soon.

Jason Rubin had some really good comments on DRM earlier today, it wasn't emotional, it wasn't biased towards one platform or another and I largely agree with him. If you can catch a replay of the Bonus Round from Gametrailers I encourage you to do so.

Sony's decision might prove wise in the short run but longer term it doesn't show any leadership on this issue which is a shame. OTOH MS wasn't been able to clearly articulate their plan and in many ways their solution is poor.

Sorry if this has been posted.

Quotes from Sony CEO Jack Tretton

“We create the platform. We’ve certainly stated with our first party games, we’re not going to be doing that. But we welcome publishers and their business models to our platforms. There’s going to be free-to-play; there’s going to be every potential business model on there and again that’s up to their relationship with the consumer and what they think is going to put them in the best stead. So we’re not going to dictate that. We’re going to give them a platform to publish on."

"The DRM decision is going to have to be in the hands of the third parties. That’s not something that we’re going to dictate or mandate or control or implement."

http://kotaku.com/third-party-publishers-will-have-final-say-on-used-game-512643240

Sorry if this has been posted.

Quotes from Sony CEO Jack Tretton

“We create the platform. We’ve certainly stated with our first party games, we’re not going to be doing that. But we welcome publishers and their business models to our platforms. There’s going to be free-to-play; there’s going to be every potential business model on there and again that’s up to their relationship with the consumer and what they think is going to put them in the best stead. So we’re not going to dictate that. We’re going to give them a platform to publish on."

"The DRM decision is going to have to be in the hands of the third parties. That’s not something that we’re going to dictate or mandate or control or implement."

http://kotaku.com/third-party-publishers-will-have-final-say-on-used-game-512643240
So the same as the ps3? :LOL:

If third party want DRM there is no stopping them on any platform but the backlash from the consumer. They could add more DRM even on the xbone or wiiu. ;)

Thanks for proving my point. ITS NOT LOGICAL!

Even after saying you cannot do this, people still do not understand. How is the average consumer going to understand this?

Not singling you out, sorry.... many people have thought the same thing in this thread. Really shows how confusing this is....crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back