Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Love_In_Rio, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powdercore

Newcomer

It said "video streaming apps", which doesn't necessarily mean decoding only. It provides Netflix as an example of a video streaming apps. Twitch is also a video streaming apps, and it also allows the XB1 to broadcast games while playing. Broadcasting means encoding.

2. Betanumerical

Veteran

To all the people who think that there is some level of hardware acceleration could you guys kindly point out where on the motherboard this exists ? And why Microsoft have included some expensive part just for video streaming years into the products life ?.

Lalaland likes this.
  3. Starx

Regular Newcomer

Xbox One operating system versions and system updates

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/system-update-operating-system

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Noone is saying whether there is or isn't.

But...

If the AMD slide is true then there must be some form of hardware assisted H.265 encoding as it would be impossible to encode H.265 via CPU alone or via GPU compute while playing a game.

If the AMD slide is false then all is as it should be.

That is the basis of all the conjecture at the moment.

The most plausible explanation is that the AMD slide is wrong. But, what if it isn't? And that's what the whole discussion has revolved around.

IMO, I don't see why Microsoft would need H.265 to stream 1080p content to PCs from the XBO. Presumably bandwidth isn't going to be a huge issue in most people's homes and that's the main benefit of H.265 over H.264.

Regards,
    SB

#8244 Silent_Buddha, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    DSoup likes this.
  5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Decoding. HEVC for Windows can't guarantee the presence of HEVC hardware.
    h.264 as everyone was using. Why would Ms want to add dual HEVC decoding where HEVC is mostly for lower bandwidth? There's plenty of BW on the connections XB1 is using.
    Bug. ;)
    For decoding.
    Without the AMD slide, everything points to h.264 being used in hardware as existed at the time, HEVC being implemented now in software for services that want it. The AMD slide is a piece that doesn't fit with the rest of the puzzle. I'm more inclined to throw it out than try and make all the other pieces fit it. ;)

DSoup likes this.
  6. TheWretched

Regular

What is the encoder used for? Is it "just" for in-house streaming? If so, then they could use MPEG2 for all I care, at least assuming your LAN is up to the task. A Gigabit LAN can easily transport ten times as much data as BluRay can. Even MPEG2 at those data rates is good enough. If we're talking over the internet (as in what Sony can do with Remote and Share Play), then H265 could make a difference with upload on asymmetric broadband being heavily upload starved. Could benefit Twitch etc. as well.

7. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

It's not on the motherboard it's in the game controllers, why else would they have firmware updates for controllers?

Lalaland and Shifty Geezer like this.
  8. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Twitch seems ideal for encoding. YouTube streaming would be along the same lines as well if it goes that way. I can't think of much more, when things are latency sensitive I don't see how heavy compression and decompression will help.

9. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

If there is hardware acceleration it would be in the same place it's been for years: the GPU.

10. fehu

Veteran Regular

I don't know if it has been mentioned, and pure speculation anyway
    If they planned from the start to leverage something from the cloud, isn't possible that they included some good decompression hardware too?

11. Betanumerical

Veteran

And it's been kept quite all this time for what reason again this is a pretty impressive feature it should have been in a number of presentations by now!

We already know a lot about the decompression hardware thanks to vgleaks.

12. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Yep. Hence they included h.264 (de)compression hardware, as was the only working, finalised standard when XB1 was designed, as well as LZ compression hardware.

13. dobwal

Legend Veteran

And the drama continues.

Secret Sauce FTW!!! Or is this just a software based solution!!!

When they say streaming to PC to the Xbox is there anything to indicate that the statement refers to game streaming? Because unless HEVC is explicitly linked to remote gaming, there is no clear indication that the XBOX One has the necessary hardware. The patch notes only refer to streaming apps.

#8253 dobwal, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  14. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Nope. But what other use is there for it? Media is already compressed. Short of steaming media from console to mobile-connected PC, recompressing in HEVC makes little sense. The image also shows what I guess is the XB1 storefront on two PCs (implied desktop and laptop). Can anyone confirm that?

15. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

A couple good uses would be if they implement DVR functionality, outside lan game streaming.
    Both would be better of using h265. Not saying essential, just better.

16. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Maybe they threw it in because they could. LOL. Gary Sullivan is a lead engineer at MS.

17. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Who knows. The same asinine reasons AMD have only just confirmed PS4'd DSP is based on TrueAudio? Why wait to reveal that?

18. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Probably AMD were NDA'd up to their bollocks regarding strangely obvious aspects of some of their console designs.

TrueAudio is inferior to MS's custom audio processing solution (probably largely wasted on the underutilised Kinect) so I can understand why Sony told them to shut up until Kinect was a 3rd division accessory.

19. liquidboy

Regular Newcomer

... it waited to announce anything because ... Win10 timeframe !!

20. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

My best bet, for waiting to announce (in a general sense), is that if the feature isn't up to snuff, don't announce it ;) -- else be burned at the stake like XBO launch

AlBran likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.