XBox One Backwards Compatibility and Xbox One X Enhancements for X360 and OG (XO XOX BC)

That's uh... a weird selection.
MS does the work to make titles backwards compatible. EA sells digital games and has a digital subscription service on Xbox One. There are BC games included in that subscription (Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Black, Dragon Age 2, and probably more). So EA gets MS to add those games to BC, and then they can sell them and offer them as part of EA Access without having to to any of the work.

It's not up to just MS if games are added to BC.

Unfortunately that's correct, its more down to trying to track down ownership of rights and getting them extended for the game. Its worse if there's music in the game, as those contracts need to be extended too.

Maybe if next generation has a beefy enough cpu, they can do the 1 Time initial install step on each individual console where it does the dynamic recompilation and repackaging so downloading of the gane isn't required. So bypassing the redistribution that requires obtaining rights. They would only have to send down general per-game settings for the process. I wonder how long that would take to do the recompilation and rebuilding on a Zen 8core cpu.

They could still have the studio supported enhanced BC Games where textures and artwork and audio are substantially improved too, but the client side work is a fallback for those games with impossible to obtain rights for redistribution.

It's not up to just MS if games are added to BC.

It is if they have shut down the program.
That's the point of the tweet and all the messages that people have attempted to send to Microsoft regarding the matter.
Major Nelson talks about backwards compatibility all the time, and "insiders" have reported about games currently in testing. But none of those games are Original Xbox games. And no one from Microsoft will even answer the question of whether or not any more Original Xbox games will come out.
The last Original Xbox game released through BC was 10 months ago. They have dodged the question ever since then. Even shutting down that portion of the official Xbox forums.
Do they intend to try to release more OG Xbox games? All we want is a "Yes" or a "No" to that quesiton. They never respond.

The last Original Xbox game released through BC was 10 months ago. They have dodged the question ever since then. Even shutting down that portion of the official Xbox forums.
Do they intend to try to release more OG Xbox games? All we want is a "Yes" or a "No" to that quesiton. They never respond.
That's quite interesting. Sony very quickly gave up on BC titles. I wonder if after the initial flurry and big numbers about people playing old games, MS has seen the numbers dive and feels people don't actually want BC and it's not worth the investment? They won the BC PR with it, and going forwards, will focus on easier compatibility to keep games alive?

That's quite interesting. Sony very quickly gave up on BC titles. I wonder if after the initial flurry and big numbers about people playing old games, MS has seen the numbers dive and feels people don't actually want BC and it's not worth the investment? They won the BC PR with it, and going forwards, will focus on easier compatibility to keep games alive?

It sounds like you're a bit confused. MS releases new Xbox 360 BC games monthly. It's the Original Generation Xbox games that have slowed (paused). It's nearly impossible to find who actually has the rights to the Original Generation Xbox games. That is the issue.

Why is it easy(er) to sort out licenses for XB360 games than OXB? Just too many companies gone under/swallowed up? Also, why isn't there a standard disc-in OXB emulator? There is a PS2 emulator in PS4 that's walled off from users, accessed via homebrew. Seems well within MS's ability to pull that off.

It sounds like you're a bit confused. MS releases new Xbox 360 BC games monthly. It's the Original Generation Xbox games that have slowed (paused). It's nearly impossible to find who actually has the rights to the Original Generation Xbox games. That is the issue.
Weekly actually.

Great questions without any definitive answers, except for one which may have three contributing factors.

1) a lot of the original game companies no longer exist
2) the rights to the music used in the game have expired or reverted back to the original rights holders.
3) the rights to the material licensed for the game (Intellectual Property) reverted back to the original owner who may have gone under themselves or they simply dont want to allow additional distributions today.

Reason 3 (and a tiny bit 2) is why games are delisted from the Sony and Microsoft Stores even in this day. No new sales can be made, but existing owners can redownload.

My speculation:

The dynamic recompilation and repackaging might be too intensive for poor little Jaguars to go for the "insert disc and play (without download)" model, analyzing the game and coming up with proper executable runtime properties. Users dont want to wait more than 5 minutes for the game to start, so if it takes 15 minutes its entirely a nonstarter, let alone if it takes an hour or more.

Just for final clarification...
I'm not demanding that Microsoft release more Original Xbox titles through BC.
I just want them to answer the question of whether or not they have stopped trying.
I'd be happy with a Yes or a No.
It's the "radio silence" that's aggravating.

Back