XBox One Backwards Compatibility and Xbox One X Enhancements for X360 and OG (XO XOX BC)

I wonder if any of the OG titles that included some form of AA (Shenmue2, Bloodwake, PGR2, perhaps a couple more) will ever hit XBO/XBX backwards compatibility. And, if so, if there will be any visual irregularities from re-rendering those games at much higher resolutions. Rights shouldn't be an issue with Shenmue 2. Microsoft published the game and they already had BC rights once on the 360. That emulated version stunk, though. Missing AA and broken features. I think AA was also turned off in the 360 emulation of PGR2.
Is there any reason to think that Original Xbox antialiasing functionality is incompatible with whatever Microsoft is doing to render these games at higher resolutions on XBO?
This new method is something they discovered in their journey to emulate OG Xbox games. Unfortunately aside from a few paragraphs I've not a clue how it works. The Heutchy method? perhaps I have his name wrong. But basically intercepting the emulation process and making swaps without the game code knowing.
Not sure, I do recall that they said it wasn't applicable everywhere (referring to OG Xbox titles), but I'm not entirely sure where it's applicable on 360 titles either.

With directx and drivers you can probably override some things, for instance you can use the Heutchy method to replace some art with higher resolution versions of it, but I'm not sure to the extent that you can fix broken features.

Son of a... Some of these Xbox games are getting real expensive >•>

I better get the ones that aren't officially supported before prices jack up :p

Even you use the original Xbox or 360 discs it still downloads the digital game. Nothing is played off the disc. Might as well buy it digital to save from needing the disc every time you play. shrug

Tommy McClain

I know that, but with a disc I at least own it and it has value. Fundamentally I just don't support digital unless it's absolutely necessary.

So I'm getting 1440x960 for Ninja Gaiden Black on the OneS, which implies 720x480 for the Xog...

hm... would need to recheck the 360 emulator, unless they actually changed it on there when they added MSAA.

Last edited:
I know that, but with a disc I at least own it and it has value. Fundamentally I just don't support digital unless it's absolutely necessary.
Yeah until it gets scratched up by your 2yr old. Been 100% digital this gen. Not going back. Come on digital only next gen. Quit wasting the BOM on that Blu-ray drive. ;)

Tommy McClain

Yeah until it gets scratched up by your 2yr old. Been 100% digital this gen. Not going back. Come on digital only next gen. Quit wasting the BOM on that Blu-ray drive. ;)

Tommy McClain

They will be kept out of reach from my 2 year old lol. How hard is that. I'll give it my n64 carts to play with instead xD

Not everyone is as keen on giving 100% of the power to these corporations, and having discs isn‘t stopping you from choosing digital.

which screen shot? I'm pretty sure I only linked the RDR ones. There was only 1 photo that was RDR2 in that entire thread, and it had white horses

It's been a couple of days but when I clicked on one of the links my browser opened that page on the picture with the horses. I thought that was the picture with the movement but now I know that you have meant the video.

RDR in 4K far surpassed my expectations here

even downsampled 1080p looking great here

really shocked at this technique they are doing here with the X1X. Code hasn't changed. It's quite a marvel

wow. in motion
lol

god damn, okay time to install it gotta see this on LG B7.
update: wow that's extremely impressive. really shocked at the clarity hear and the texture work. The 4K and the 16xAF really putting in the work here to bring out the art.

Damn, some of the before and after shots show just how amazing the quality of the BC is. It makes me feel like I'm looking at a PC version, which we never got. :(

Dear lord, if the game supported KB/M on XBO-X along with a 60 FPS option, I would buy a XBO-X in a heartbeat. I'm asking too much though. I'm wishing for an XBO-X that's basically just a scaled down PC (KB/M, graphics options, frame rate options, etc.).

Regards,
SB

I definitely do not regret upgrading to the OneX at all. My only regret is not having nearly enough time to play all the great games. RDR is still on my backlog list. I only played a few times on multiplayer and never did the campaign.

Back then a lot of my gamer friends had more time and we all gravitated towards the latest 0-day multi-player game. Now that we're all older with less time, we tend to go back to the single player experiences. I need to find time to play RDR campaign before RDR2 hits, and this latest One-X BC enhancement makes me want to upgrade my TV sooner. It still looks stunning on a 1080p set.

Well, Breakdown is a disappointment.
I've played it several times, so I remember all the "eccentricities" of the game. But I was blindly hoping that maybe a few things would be corrected.
The X and Y sensitivity are tied together, so you can't adjust them independently. The Y sensitivity is WAY higher than it needs to be. But if you turn down controller movement sensitivity to adjust, it drops your X turning rate too low. So it takes forever to turn from side to side. That's basically how you have to play the game.
The game is locked at 30fps. On OG Xbox, I just figured the framerate was low because of the hardware. The game always had a clean look. Lots of rectilinear design and uncomplicated textures. So rendering at a much higher resolution doesn't do much to enhance the visuals. But 60fps would have been a significant improvement.
The loads shouldn't take 2 seconds. They should be instantaneous. The entire game can fit into XBO ram 4 times over. The game shouldn't need to pause 2 seconds when you're walking around a corner so it can load the next section.
It's a great game, but you really have to endure quite a bit of its sluggish properties to enjoy it. And I'm afraid that this new BC version just isn't enough for new players to give it a chance. The first time they have to press X three times to pick up a clip they'll probably uninstall and never try it again.

Playing Morrowind right now. It's fine. It's Xbox Morrowind at 60fps. Not much more to say than that.

Well, Breakdown is a disappointment.
I've played it several times, so I remember all the "eccentricities" of the game. But I was blindly hoping that maybe a few things would be corrected.
The X and Y sensitivity are tied together, so you can't adjust them independently. The Y sensitivity is WAY higher than it needs to be. But if you turn down controller movement sensitivity to adjust, it drops your X turning rate too low. So it takes forever to turn from side to side. That's basically how you have to play the game.
The game is locked at 30fps. On OG Xbox, I just figured the framerate was low because of the hardware. The game always had a clean look. Lots of rectilinear design and uncomplicated textures. So rendering at a much higher resolution doesn't do much to enhance the visuals. But 60fps would have been a significant improvement.
The loads shouldn't take 2 seconds. They should be instantaneous. The entire game can fit into XBO ram 4 times over. The game shouldn't need to pause 2 seconds when you're walking around a corner so it can load the next section.
It's a great game, but you really have to endure quite a bit of its sluggish properties to enjoy it. And I'm afraid that this new BC version just isn't enough for new players to give it a chance. The first time they have to press X three times to pick up a clip they'll probably uninstall and never try it again.

Playing Morrowind right now. It's fine. It's Xbox Morrowind at 60fps. Not much more to say than that.
Morrowind.., my GOTY edition brings back good memories. When I first saw the initial seconds of this video it was surprising to see that the OG Xbox version is running at almost 60 fps there -colour me surprised-, 'cos I remembered it as a very very choppy game, a fact that the video later confirms.

The og Xbox games don't get the 4k treatment then?

The og Xbox games don't get the 4k treatment then?

They don't get any additional content, if that's what you're asking. No "X Enhanced" patches. But they do get much higher rendering resolutions (1920p on XBX, 960p on XBS/XBO), higher framerates where possible, and, perhaps more importantly for gameplay in most of these titles, much quicker load times. If you've never played Morrowind on Xbox (or KOTOR, as one of the best examples), the very long load times were the biggest hindrance to the gameplay experience. With those now occurring as mere hiccups, the gameplay is much better. KOTOR2 releases next week. I'm not sure if that one or Deus Ex Invisible War had the longest load times, but they definitely ruined the fun of both games (imo).

it's interesting to observe this kind of difference, I'm guessing this is completely CPU bound on all platforms, the difference from the X to the One is very much inline with the CPU clock difference, and then I look at the OG Xbox and have to wonder how much of it is overhead from the emulation, and how much of it is the Jaguar CPU not being all that great (well, the per core performance), when you consider the clock difference

yEfMmgP.jpg

in any case, you can't really expect miracles since it is just the original game and emulation, like the texture quality is bellow the PC version and so on, but I think it's quite good overall, much higher resolution and AF, faster load times and framerate, the One is always over 30, the X is hitting 60 most of the time, while the original can go from 60 to 20 all the time.

it's interesting to observe this kind of difference, I'm guessing this is completely CPU bound on all platforms, the difference from the X to the One is very much inline with the CPU clock difference, and then I look at the OG Xbox and have to wonder how much of it is overhead from the emulation, and how much of it is the Jaguar CPU not being all that great (well, the per core performance), when you consider the clock difference

yEfMmgP.jpg

in any case, you can't really expect miracles since it is just the original game and emulation, like the texture quality is bellow the PC version and so on, but I think it's quite good overall, much higher resolution and AF, faster load times and framerate, the One is always over 30, the X is hitting 60 most of the time, while the original can go from 60 to 20 all the time.
the difference in image quality is staggering. I was watching the video at 480p since I am on a metered connection now -but like 10 times faster than before- and can use 80GB per month, but even at 480p the AF made a huge difference in the walls of the buildings... I just hope that someday we will see PGR2.

Can't wait to see Ninja Gaiden Black in action with improvements.

DF video on Morrowind, just a different take. John's comments on the framerate remind me of my personal experience, where the game was seemingly fluid and then....suddenly... I didnt know much about framerates then.

Now I remember why I never completed the game on the original Xbox and it was the PC version that allowed me to watch the ending. The gameplay session on the OG Xbox were huge. I spetn a lot of time reading what seemed a mammoth manual of the game while waiting for the loading times in between areas, and as time went on the performance degraded a lot. So I moved to the likes of Burnout 3: Takedown and PGR2 and so on and so forth.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Back